The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by This Honest
Oh gosh, I hate it when it rains too. For some reason, my bald patch becomes more obvious when it rains. So I'm forced to wear a hat when it rains. When I get to school, I have to take my hat off. This makes my hair all messy and the bald patch is more obvious.
Solution: go to the boy's toilet and take my hat off, and quickly comb my hair before anyone sees :biggrin:

can 1000000% identify with this :sadnod:
Original post by kaylafrances
can 1000000% identify with this :sadnod:

Really? :hugs:
I thought I was only one who did this. I hate rainy days. I hate it more when I'm in the middle of my journey and it starts to rain. Can't do nothing about that :sigh:
Reply 742
Original post by popple7
woops, i was! weirddd. OMG CONGRATS ON KEELE! ahhhhh that's amazing! and they got in touch so quickly, you clearly are too awesome for words lady! :yay: sorry you've had a bad time since then, keep remembering how awesome you felt a few days ago and how awesome it's going to be when you're at lovely keele!

im alright thanks, life's been boring. got an annoying cough at the mo so have been taking out my frustration on my left eyebrow :ashamed2: it was taking ages to grow back anyway meh. and my left lashes have suffered a bit too. hope i feel a bit more in control when im well again.

dont think it helps that im burying my head in the sand about a lot of things... feel like my life's at a stand-still.. a really boring stand-still. but meh, im scared of facing up to everything! keep my head in the sand a bit longer :s-smilie:

Eek! Sorry! Genuinely thought I'd replied to this :laugh:

THANK YOU! :woo: It is amazing and yeah they got in touch SUPER quickly :tongue: Lol I dunno if I was awesome or not :lol: Yeah I have been thinking of that, and told myself to try and pick things up again and it worked! I felt much better yday and today so that's good :yep:

I hope your coughs cleared up now hun :sadnod: and hope you've left your eyebrow alone too! Do you feel more in control now? :hugs:

Aww :sad: Hope it gets better for all of us boo :hugs:
What do you guys do to combat your obsessive thoughts and compulsions? I find them really hard to resist (which I guess is the whole point of OCD) T.T I might try that EBR therapy thingy when I'm bothered/have time... I heard it's pretty effective.
I know this may sound weird... But I have different colours for each of my A Level subjects and every evening I arrange them in chromatic order nn terms of how I feel about each subject so I shift all the folder contents to another folder. Folders are arranged in : Red => Orange => green => blue and red Represents a subject I'm not doing so well in and blue represents the one I'm feeling best about. :frown:

Also, I like to plan my day and if something goes slightly wrong like, I plan to spend half an hour doing maths but spend it talking to a friend, then the whole day is lost and I can't concentrate, or do any work, or anything until the next day.

I struggle being in a room by myself for too long. The handle of my teacup must be perpendicular to the handle of my tea pot. :frown:
Reply 745
Right I have OCD and it's bad at the moment for example staying up until like 2/3/4 in the morning cleaning the kitchen just so I can leave the room as well as all the other compusions/thoughts which literally take up hours in the day so once I was diagnosed by my GP he referred me to have cognitive behavioral therapy and I was just wondering if anyone on here has had and what's it like? Thankssss
Reply 746
I can feel normal about things that actually control my life :h: It's probably a mild form of OCD :facepalm:
Reply 747
hey to the new guys above me! cant answer your questions because im not OCD in the same way as you (i have trichotillomania)... but hopefully others who post here can! this thread is good for having a moan or rant though, so do stick around and post!

Original post by ViceVersa
Eek! Sorry! Genuinely thought I'd replied to this :laugh:

THANK YOU! :woo: It is amazing and yeah they got in touch SUPER quickly :tongue: Lol I dunno if I was awesome or not :lol: Yeah I have been thinking of that, and told myself to try and pick things up again and it worked! I felt much better yday and today so that's good :yep:

I hope your coughs cleared up now hun :sadnod: and hope you've left your eyebrow alone too! Do you feel more in control now? :hugs:

Aww :sad: Hope it gets better for all of us boo :hugs:

that's ok! :smile:

omg you are SO awesome! you cant argue with both me and keele :tongue: like you said, they usually take longer to reply so you were obviously too wonderful to let go! you're gonna be an awesome doctor i reckon... even though it's a long way away yet! but uni is so much fun! and med students, they work so so hard but party just as hard too so im sure you'll have a blast! glad youre feeling better too!

im fine now! no cold, no trich. keeping busy helps with trich soooo much. my lashes are looking fairly full and lovely so it's just my eyebrow that i gotta disguise... and that's actually really easy to do so it's really not bad at all :smile:

Original post by InadequateJusticex
What do you guys do to combat your obsessive thoughts and compulsions? I find them really hard to resist (which I guess is the whole point of OCD) T.T I might try that EBR therapy thingy when I'm bothered/have time... I heard it's pretty effective.

i find distracting myself with other things helps with my own compulsions. i can feel overwhelmed by the compulsion to pull out my hair and give in, but im always surprised how quickly the compulsion goes when i distract myself.

OCD is pretty different though so not sure if that will help you! maybe try thinking your thoughts and compulsions through logically and rationally before acting out on them. might help you get perspective and make resisting easier. read back a few pages... one of the OCDers here has overcome a lot of her OCD and might be able to give you some advice if you PM her (think it's LipstickKisses but not too sure, sorry if that's wrong).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by popple7
hey to the new guys above me! cant answer your questions because im not OCD in the same way as you (i have trichotillomania)... but hopefully others who post here can! this thread is good for having a moan or rant though, so do stick around and post!

omg you are SO awesome! you cant argue with both me and keele :tongue: like you said, they usually take longer to reply so you were obviously too wonderful to let go! you're gonna be an awesome doctor i reckon... even though it's a long way away yet! but uni is so much fun! and med students, they work so so hard but party just as hard too so im sure you'll have a blast! glad youre feeling better too!

im fine now! no cold, no trich. keeping busy helps with trich soooo much. my lashes are looking fairly full and lovely so it's just my eyebrow that i gotta disguise... and that's actually really easy to do so it's really not bad at all :smile:

i find distracting myself with other things helps with my own compulsions. i can feel overwhelmed by the compulsion to pull out my hair and give in, but im always surprised how quickly the compulsion goes when i distract myself.

OCD is pretty different though so not sure if that will help you! maybe try thinking your thoughts and compulsions through logically and rationally before acting out on them. might help you get perspective and make resisting easier. read back a few pages... one of the OCDers here has overcome a lot of her OCD and might be able to give you some advice if you PM her (think it's LipstickKisses but not too sure, sorry if that's wrong).

Yeah I do try to distract myself a lot, works wonders when I'm out but when I'm by myself at home it gets a lot more difficult :redface: Sometimes it works, sometimes the compulsions get to me x(
Reply 749
Haven't really been as active on TSR these last couple of days, been pretty tough atm and felt like being a little more reserved :sadnod:

Hope everyone's okay! And oo welcome new posters, please stick around :hello:

Original post by popple7

Thank you :biggrin: Fine, I won't argue :tongue: And awww thank you so much, it means a lot to say that :blush: And yeah I cannot wait till uni :tongue: And thanks :smile:

And that's good! Keep it up :tongue: That's good to hear!
Reply 750
Original post by InadequateJusticex

If you read through most of the thread you'll see I mostly just try to keep busy, and try my best to prevent getting hugely stressed/panicked, because that triggers my OCD to be so much worse :sadnod: A little counseling helps sometimes. Try that therapy if you can, it's worth a try :hugs:

Original post by Obsolescence
I know this may sound weird... But I have different colours for each of my A Level subjects and every evening I arrange them in chromatic order nn terms of how I feel about each subject so I shift all the folder contents to another folder. Folders are arranged in : Red => Orange => green => blue and red Represents a subject I'm not doing so well in and blue represents the one I'm feeling best about. :frown:

Also, I like to plan my day and if something goes slightly wrong like, I plan to spend half an hour doing maths but spend it talking to a friend, then the whole day is lost and I can't concentrate, or do any work, or anything until the next day.

I struggle being in a room by myself for too long. The handle of my teacup must be perpendicular to the handle of my tea pot. :frown:

Welcome, and that sucks :sad:. How has the last couple of days been for you? :hugs:

Original post by Cushi
Right I have OCD and it's bad at the moment for example staying up until like 2/3/4 in the morning cleaning the kitchen just so I can leave the room as well as all the other compusions/thoughts which literally take up hours in the day so once I was diagnosed by my GP he referred me to have cognitive behavioral therapy and I was just wondering if anyone on here has had and what's it like? Thankssss

:hello:

CBT is for some people, and not for others. You won't know until you try I guess :sadnod:
Original post by Deyesy
I can feel normal about things that actually control my life :h: It's probably a mild form of OCD :facepalm:

I know what you mean there tbh! Get it a lot too.
If you read through most of the thread you'll see I mostly just try to keep busy, and try my best to prevent getting hugely stressed/panicked, because that triggers my OCD to be so much worse :sadnod: A little counseling helps sometimes. Try that therapy if you can, it's worth a try :hugs:

Welcome, and that sucks :sad:. How has the last couple of days been for you? :hugs:

CBT is for some people, and not for others. You won't know until you try I guess :sadnod:

I know what you mean there tbh! Get it a lot too.

It really does. Thankfully I did well on exams, getting all As. I think I'm one of those obnoxious peoplpe who can get away with not doing the work normally required to get good grades. Put it this way, my Biology vales hates me :biggrin:
Posting anon because no-one knows about this but my best friend and mum.

Hi everyone :smile: Been following this thread for a few weeks now.

Basically over the past few months I've been experiencing intrusive thoughts and have self-diagnosed with Pure-O - everything I've read about it describes me to a T. I've also realised that I most likely had mild OCD as a child with the physical compulsions as well, but I just thought that was the way I was and that there wasn't anything different about it - as a child, looking back on it now, I was quite lonely (only child with 2 working parents, lots of friends at school but spent a lot of time with myself in my own head) so didn't have much to compare my experiences to in terms of people my own age.

I'm finding the intrusive thoughts a lot easier to deal with now than I did 5 months ago, and have been seeing a psychotherapist for the past 2 months for other issues, but have discussed the thoughts quite a lot with him. However, I still have periods of 7-10 days every 3 weeks or so where I'll sink into that horrible cycle of thoughts, checking, worrying about whether I am a terrible person, telling myself I am a terrible person, followed by picking myself up and telling myself I have the choice to be who I want to be and it's just the thoughts, before another trigger comes along and it all starts again. My psychotherapist is using some CBT techniques but a lot of what we're working on is looking into my childhood which I've read isn't too effective for OCD. At the moment I am managing by keeping myself occupied with friends and work, but I don't want it to get any worse as I can't go on having these thoughts my whole life, the thought disgusts me.. don't know whether to go to the GP if it gets any worse and try to get some full-on CBT organised or at least go on a waiting list? Worried that GP might not understand or have seen much Pure-O before..

As I say, I'm managing now (which also worries me because then part of me thinks I should be finding the thoughts more repulsive than they are :s-smilie: :frown: ) but yeah basically what have people's experiences been with CBT and Pure-O, if any?

Also can anyone recommend any books for Pure-O or ones which use CBT methods? I have a couple on the way.. "Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD" and "Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"
Original post by Smoosh
Ever since I was little I've been very repetitive and compulsive with my behaviour, but it's kind of expanding the older I get. I do it with a lot of things, but the main one that stands out to me is I absolutely have to touch everything equally and with both hands...sounds so weird writing it down :redface: when I was little I'd only do it occasionally. but now I find myself doing it with most things. E.g. when I'm sleeping at night if one of my feet is touching the other, I'll sort of keep touching them together a certain amount of times until I feel it feels right, or if I have an itch then I'll have to touch the same part with the opposite hand and keep doing it, again, until it feels "right". I can't fight the need to do it even if the thing will hurt me e.g. it's hot or something.

I'm always checking everything over and over until I'm satisfied with the way it is, mostly when I see something written down, I like to keep going back and checking that it's exactly how I thought it was...I can't stand the thought that it might not be exact :redface:

Those are the type of ones that stand out the most to me, if I looked into my daily activities I think I'd probably show more behaviours than I realise. I'm a complete perfectionist by nature, so that probably doesn't help!

(This is the person from the post above)

I did the hand thing ALL THE TIME when I was little, and I'd get anxious if I hadn't done it "right". Still do it sometimes in times of stress, i.e. just before an exam, because sometimes I think that something bad will happen if I don't do it. Happens a lot less often now though. Thought it was just me!

I could never eat anything in 4's and still can't to this day, or do anything in 4's.. I hated even numbers for the longest time. I went through a long period of counting my steps everywhere I went. Very vaguely remember a period when I was really little of tapping the door handle 3 times.

I still have to switch my light back on every night to check the lock on my bedroom door, even if I've checked it when the light was still on. I've also got much more vigilant about hand washing, but that's only mainly happened since I started getting the intrusive thoughts and researching OCD more.

Looking back on it, it was all so obvious XD There are more things I'm sure, I'll post when I remember.
Oh, one more: Occasionally, after I've been reading before bed and have switched the light off, I have to switch the light on and check which page number I was on, or check if a word was on a certain page, because otherwise I tell myself I won't be able to sleep.

So weird when I see it there written down :s-smilie:

These things don't bother me so much any more, as I don't doubt they cause a lot of stress and anxiety to others who have much more severe compulsions than me, but (for me right now) the obsessive thoughts and ruminations cause much more anxiety than my physical compulsions. Sometimes find myself wishing I had "normal" OCD instead of POCD, I know that's really horrible though.. :frown: Sorry :frown:

Nice to know I'm not alone though :smile:
Reply 755
wee update: trich beat me a little this week. damage control has been working pretty well (stopping before i pull too many, and trying to stop quicker than before)... but i had a stressful day the other day and felt fed up and insecure and generally rubbish, so took it out on my left side. i have a chunk of brow missing from the last time, and now i have a matching patch on my lashes :frown: and they were looking sooo good! so angry with myself. back to wearing falsies.

my right side looks nice and normal though. so i look really weird without makeup on, all uneven. it could be worse, it's not as bad as ive done in the past. i just hate the effort of filling the gap in my lashes with false lashes. ****ing trich.

Haven't really been as active on TSR these last couple of days, been pretty tough atm and felt like being a little more reserved :sadnod:

Thank you :biggrin: Fine, I won't argue :tongue: And awww thank you so much, it means a lot to say that :blush: And yeah I cannot wait till uni :tongue: And thanks :smile:

And that's good! Keep it up :tongue: That's good to hear!

aww lovely, im sorry you're having a tough time again :frown: is it living at home and family stuff again? i know uni seems so far away, but in a few months time you'll be there and you wont have to live at home for YEARS, or even EVER! you're made of tougher stuff than you give yourself credit for so just ride it out and hopefully uni will be the time of your life :smile: :hugs:

Original post by Anonymous
Posting anon because no-one knows about this but my best friend and mum....

hi there :hello: sounds really tough! but i gotta say, you sound really determined about tackling your OCD and trying every possible thing to overcome it. so well done for that, and i think that attitude will be essential in trying to manage your OCD better. i cant give any personal advice, cuz i have trich rather than OCD... but hopefully others here will be able to share their experiences. sometimes it helps just to post your feelings or annoyances or progress here for some support though, so stick around! :smile:

a girl used to post here (LipstickKisses) and she says she's overcome her OCD loads... i think it was her anyway, it was a while ago! maybe get in touch with her for some ideas and advice.
Original post by popple7

hi there :hello: sounds really tough! but i gotta say, you sound really determined about tackling your OCD and trying every possible thing to overcome it. so well done for that, and i think that attitude will be essential in trying to manage your OCD better. i cant give any personal advice, cuz i have trich rather than OCD... but hopefully others here will be able to share their experiences. sometimes it helps just to post your feelings or annoyances or progress here for some support though, so stick around! :smile:

a girl used to post here (LipstickKisses) and she says she's overcome her OCD loads... i think it was her anyway, it was a while ago! maybe get in touch with her for some ideas and advice.

Thank you so much for the reply :smile: I have spent most of today trying to concentrate on work but researching OCD instead and getting more and more anxious and feeling more detached so have decided that enough's enough, it's not going to get better on its own and I'm going to go to my GP next week to see what help I can get as I really don't want to turn into a horrible person (or to keep believing that I will).

Thank you so much :smile: Think I will probably start using this thread a lot..
We have the Anxiety, Depression and Eating Disorder Thread's, so I thought it a bit weird that we didn't have a thread for OCD, especially since it's also pretty common. I have OCD and I thought I'd fill up this gap we have and create this thread for people who have OCD, or who think they might suffer from it, to speak/relate to others, and hopefully help each other through the day or make it just a little easier. Some people's case might be mild-mediocre (like mine) or just a little worse, but we can all still be here for each other. Hope this is a good idea. Who knows, it might become as big as the others :hugs:

My little battle yesterday

Hey. I have to admit that I read your 'little battle' story with laughter :colondollar: I'm the exact same though. I sit at my writing/reading table and spend ages trying to clean any dirt off my laptop and I'm obsessed with handling books properly. I let few people touch my books; those that are accorded that honour often make me angry because they blunt the corners of the pages or mishandle the spine :awesome:
Just a question guys.

Do you think this so called OCD is a first/developed world disorder/affliction ?

If you/i/we had to live in depravity like some people do in the developing world, not even sure where the next meal will come from, would folk really have time to bother with such trivialities (obsessions & compulsions) that bother them ? If we had proper pressing problems (life or death), do you think this disorder would have so much power, or any for that matter ?

This is something i ask myself and have been asked before.
Reply 759
It's been so interesting reading through this topic :smile:

I don't think I have OCD, even if I did, I don't see the need to be diagnosed.

However, I do some funny obsessive things:
1) Whenever I'm on my computer (including now) I have to shut my door, I cannot leave it open - doesn't feel right.
2) I cannot touch door handles/tables/other people's computer keyboards then eat, I must wash my hands.
3) I always say to myself "I must do this before 2pm" or "I've got to blink at least 10 times before that car gets to the end of the road" or something along those lines - and If I don't do these things, I say to myself something bad will happen. My mind is always playing games with me lol.
4) When I walk up the stairs I say to myself, I've got to get to the top and in my bedroom before someone eles starts walking up the stairs.
5) I think too in depth about life until I'm crying.
6) I worry and try and diagnose myself with health problems and I worry about it.
7) I CANNOT STAND people who are on a PowerPoint or word document or whatever and don't put a CAPITAL letter at the start of a sentence. If I'm doing a PowerPoint I like to do it myself, with no-one eles so I can spell everything correctly, lay it out how I please and have good punctuation.
8) I don't like the idea of eating sandwiches because the filling is getting squished and I feel I need to eat the filling without the bread - separate.
9) I can't look at a man's chest because of that indent below the rib cage, and I've cried about it before because someone was pushing their finger into there (I've actually got my hand on my chest now to cover it lol).
10) I cannot sit and do homework and revise if my room is a mess or I can see something I need to do.
11) One last thing, I also don't do things, if it's not worth it and I don't like people who do certain things or say certain things that don't matter and are of no significance. Annoys me. If you know what I mean.

Are these OCD things? Or just weird me lmfao!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest