The Student Room Group

2 mark Circle questions

Can someone explain to me how to answer these questions? :smile:

June 2002 q 7.png

Scroll to see replies

What have you tried? Do you understand the connection between motion around a circle and trigonometric graphs?
Reply 2
For question a you have to create a graph showing how h and the angle work. I think the angle should be placed on the x axis and the h on the y axis. In the graph I reckon it'l start of with an increase followed by a big decrease and then the graph will go back to 0h by an increase.

angle
------ X 2 X pi X h for the second question on amazing maths
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by krisshP
For question a you have to create a graph showing how h and the angle work. I think the angle should be placed on the x axis and the h on the y axis. In the graph I reckon it'l start of with an increase followed by a big decrease and then the graph will go back to 0h by an increase.

angle
------ X 2 X pi X h

You can't have a negative h.
Reply 4
Original post by SilentIdea

But in the second question they are ONLY talking about the picture's circle.

h can be negative, but in the picture it isn't, so assume it's positive.

Check your answer though.
Reply 5
Original post by krisshP
But in the second question they are ONLY talking about the picture's circle.

h can be negative, but in the picture it isn't, so assume it's positive.

Check your answer though.

When drawing the graph, h increases as theta increases up to 180 degrees. After that, h decreases to 0 metres while theta increases to 360 degrees.
Reply 6
For b, think trigonometric graphs and their transformations. :smile:
Reply 7
By the way, wouldn't the graph be similar to the sine graph? I think so.

For the last question:
you HAVE to have done the previous question. Look at the graph. Draw a STRAIGHT line from left to right on the graph at which h=100. After making the line, find the angles which intersect the line. These angles should be your answers. As an estimate I reckon there will be only 2 angles as the answers.
Reply 8
Original post by SilentIdea

Actually, you are right.:wink: I looked at the question again with a fresh eye.

The graph I now think will increase and then decrease. Sorry. but NEVER will there be a negative h.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blueray
Can someone explain to me how to answer these questions? :smile:

June 2002 q 7.png

Is this AddMaths!
I can do this for you if you would like? It's Additional Maths if I'm correct? I'm in Year 11 as well. There's an easy method to do this, I'll show you my method.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
I can do this for you if you would like? It's Additional Maths if I'm correct? I'm in Year 11 as well. There's an easy method to do this, I'll show you my method. One second.

This is not additional maths! We have never done anything like this!!!!
Original post by GreenLantern1
This is not additional maths! We have never done anything like this!!!!

I am sure that you have ... it is very straightforward trig
img102.jpg
img103.jpg

*ps - this is part b. It goes from i) - v) to simplify the stages. It's simple trig identities.

This is unequivocally additional maths. I even have the past paper right in front of me with this tantamount question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
This is unequivocally additional maths. I even have the past paper right in front of me with this tantamount question.

Yeah, its about the relationship between Sin and Cos (in this case Cos) (and can also be used to prove Euler's identity I think :smile: )

It won't be OCR MEI Additional Maths FSMQ that the OP is doing! I have never seen this in a past paper. Send me the link for the past paper then.
img102.jpg
img103.jpg

*ps - this is part b. It goes from i) - v) to simplify the stages. It's simple trig identities.

Show me the actual question paper. Not your random answers
It won't be OCR MEI Additional Maths FSMQ that the OP is doing! I have never seen this in a past paper. Send me the link for the past paper then.

It's the OCR FMSQ Additional Maths Spec paper:

*Go to question 7*.

FSMQ_Add_Maths_SAM_6993.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Show me the actual question paper. Not your random answers

Jeez ... how rude are you ... the solution was being presented for the OP
Original post by TenOfThem
Jeez ... how rude are you ... the solution was being presented for the OP

:c. *whimpers*

Quick Reply

Latest