The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
So what are iGCSEs? Why can't you just do papers? Does it make it easier to harder or what?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by eebootwo
90% ha always been the A* boundary for classics

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App and also from an iPhone but not an iPad and why isn't it an iPod app?

Original post by sahajkaur
I think its just 90% UMS for A*, i don't think it could ever possibly be 90% raw marks because Classics and English departments like to tell people its 90% to get them to work their asses off but it's probably about 85% raw marks (or it was last year :smile: )

[QUOTE="hines;37788357"]Yes it is, says it on the specification. 90%.

answering all the quesitions-
its 90UMS,thus 360/400 for an a*
last year for an a*-in raw marks,
48/60-paper 1
50/60 -paper 2
45/50 prose lit
44/50 verse lit
so if the prose grade boundaries are even higher,it will be almost imposs 2 get an a*
[QUOTE="thetejmaster;37798139"]
Original post by hines
Yes it is, says it on the specification. 90%.

answering all the quesitions-
its 90UMS,thus 360/400 for an a*
last year for an a*-in raw marks,
48/60-paper 1
50/60 -paper 2
45/50 prose lit
44/50 verse lit
so if the prose grade boundaries are even higher,it will be almost imposs 2 get an a*

Dude I'm pretty sure thats about 85.5%
Original post by FLYINGSPANIARD
I go to a state school and we do latin and igcses.

Hmmm, the reason I said that was because on the IGCSE past paer website (at least for Edexcel) it says "IGCSEs are not approved for use in UK state schools).
Everything is getting pretty intense now, huh? For Language, it honestly is a matter of sitting yourself down (like Cornelia: Cornelia sub arbore sedet, if anyone remembers that!) and learning it all. People have already posted flash cards and they're pretty great. They mix it up for you, so you don't end up remembering the order and remember the actual translation.
For Literature; those of you with phones that can record audio quite well might find this helpful, especially if you're musical and a auditory learner. Recording yourself saying little extracts and playing it back on repeat helps me. I'm all three types I'd learner, so I remembering the translations by how they flow, the rhythm and where they are on the page and I remember the Latin by imagining the actual events going on. The portents and prophecies section with the Suetonius, Virgil and Pliny is what I'm doing.
Good luck to everyone!

Original post by Smilevalley

Dude I'm pretty sure thats about 85.5%

yes, du not know the difference between raw and ums?
Original post by Smilevalley
Hmmm, the reason I said that was because on the IGCSE past paer website (at least for Edexcel) it says "IGCSEs are not approved for use in UK state schools).

They are, but they call them Edexcel Certificates rather than International GCSEs for state schools. I don't know why, that's just what Ofqual called them, but they sit the exact same papers and the grade boundaries are the same.

Some IGCSEs are pretty much the same, some are harder (CIE languages!) - they tend to be more theoretical with less practical exams/coursework than UK GCSEs.
Reply 107
Okay this is really embarrassing I thought IGCSES were done on the computer... I thought it was iGCSE..

So what's the benefit of doing an international one?

I go to a state school and we do latin and igcses.

That's not possible because iGCSE s are not certified to be taught in state schools. You must be mistaken.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thetejmaster
yes, du not know the difference between raw and ums?

Well, it seems you don't UMS is fixed at about 90% but the raw grade boundary is a lot lower at about 85%
That's not possible because iGCSE s are not certified to be taught in state schools. You must be mistaken.

Hmmm, well i did iGCSE French last year so i think its your comment thats quite mistaken. Probs privatley schooled and looks down on state schools.
Hmmm, well i did iGCSE French last year so i think its your comment thats quite mistaken. Probs privatley schooled and looks down on state schools.

'IGCSES ARE NOT APPROVED FOR TEACHING IN STATE SCHOOLS' So no, its not just me 'looking down on you'

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/lang/french/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=2330
(edited 11 years ago)
'IGCSES ARE NOT APPROVED FOR TEACHING IN STATE SCHOOLS' So no, its not just me 'looking down on you'

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/lang/french/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=2330

He is right ,u dont do igcse frnch ,
Paper 1 went OK for me, i see now and i've made quite a few mistakes, I might have scraped an A. I certainly did better than the mock though. But what are the best techniques for revision? I'm doing a crash course, so i've only been doing latin for 8 months now and i'm really struggling. We do the cambridge latin course and i've learnt the first 2 books of grammar, after that i'm lost. And also, what's the difference between january and june papers? I'm scottish and the ocr website just confuses me. In SQA past papers we only have one set per year, and schools make their own prelims.

We only get one hour long tutorial per week, so everything is pretty rushed. Heck, I didn't even know that you had to write an essay for the set text papers until last week. We've really not been told anything about that exam, we've been given copies of the set texts and went through the translations once and that's it. Our tutorials are over a webcam thing so there's only so much you can do
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UserUnavailable
Paper 1 went OK for me, i see now and i've made quite a few mistakes, I might have scraped an A. I certainly did better than the mock though. But what are the best techniques for revision? I'm doing a crash course, so i've only been doing latin for 8 months now and i'm really struggling. We do the cambridge latin course and i've learnt the first 2 books of grammar, after that i'm lost. And also, what's the difference between january and june papers? I'm scottish and the ocr website just confuses me. In SQA past papers we only have one set per year, and schools make their own prelims.

We only get one hour long tutorial per week, so everything is pretty rushed. Heck, I didn't even know that you had to write an essay for the set text papers until last week. We've really not been told anything about that exam, we've been given copies of the set texts and went through the translations once and that's it. Our tutorials are over a webcam thing so there's only so much you can do

Hi I have attached a file with all the grammar you need to know (just know it roughly) and learn all the vocab! For set texts there is an essay in which you have to analyse how the writer creates certain effects. Do you want me to upload an example of that too?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 115
Hi I have attached a file with all the grammar you need to know (just know it roughly) and learn all the! For set texts there is an essay in which you have to analyse how the write creates certain effects. Do you want me to upload an example of that too?

Is that your school's?
Original post by ZakariaMar
Is that your school's?

Yes I download it from our VLE and uploaded it here. Why?
Reply 117
Yes I download it from our VLE and uploaded it here. Why?

You're so lucky that you have an entire classics department! Mine consists of one teacher :P She is very good but it's annoying that we don't have such resources available. I do go to a state school though so at least I'm able to do latin gcse :P

Are you taking it an an A level aswell?
Original post by ZakariaMar
You're so lucky that you have an entire classics department! Mine consists of one teacher :P She is very good but it's annoying that we don't have such resources available. I do go to a state school though so at least I'm able to do latin gcse :P

Are you taking it an an A level aswell?

To be fair our classics department per se only has about 3 teachers! Feel free to use it, I can upload more if you would like. Yeah latin gcse seems like the kind of thing that only private schools do! But that also mean higher grade boundaries, yay! -_-

No, I would have loved to but I want to do medicine so sciences and maths is more appropriate. What about you?
Reply 119
To be fair our classics department per se only has about 3 teachers! Feel free to use it, I can upload more if you would like. Yeah latin gcse seems like the kind of thing that only private schools do! But that also mean higher grade boundaries, yay! -_-

No, I would have loved to but I want to do medicine so sciences and maths is more appropriate. What about you?

Thanks, and that should be okay for this evening. My grammar is not very good to be honest, I only really have a rough understanding of it and often I just grind my way through translations through inference from context, relying mostly on my vocab knowledge to get an a*.

I also enjoy it but like you it has no relevance to the course I want to do (aerospace engineering). So I took the Maths/Science route.

Quick Reply

Latest