The Student Room Group

Difference between Turning point and Stationary point

Is there a Difference between Turning point and Stationary point or are they the same thing.
Im doing C3 OCR MEI btw.
I know how to find turning point of a curve you do dy/dx=0 to get x then substiute x in curve equation to get y

If a question asked you to find stationary point of a curve would you just do the same thing?

Scroll to see replies

Turning point is like the bottom of a v/u shaped graph. A stationary point is a graph with a shape a bit like a thunderbolt where it goes down, then across (the stationary point) then down in the same direction as before.
Reply 2
OH ok but you would still use the same method to find them because both turning point and stationary point have gradient=0
:holmes: sorry I don't know, I only did AS maths and that was last year, although we did this stuff in C2!
Reply 4
Original post by verello12
OH ok but you would still use the same method to find them because both turning point and stationary point have gradient=0

Thats correct
Reply 5
Original post by samir12
Thats correct

ok thanks guys
Reply 6
Turning points are stationary points but so are points of inflection
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clare~Bear
Turning point is like the bottom of a v/u shaped graph. A stationary point is a graph with a shape a bit like a thunderbolt where it goes down, then across (the stationary point) then down in the same direction as before.

Technically, this is not true. Stationary point is the more general term. Anywhere where the gradient (therefore derivative) of a graph/function is 0, is a stationary point. If it is a maximum or minimum, then it is also a turning point. However, there is a third type of stationary point which is not a turning point (max or min). This s called a 'point of inflection' and I think this is what you were trying to describe by the 'thunderbolt'. x=0 on the graph of x^3 is an example of a point of inflection (a stationary point that is not a turning point).
Original post by thefifthfoo
Technically, this is not true. Stationary point is the more general term. Anywhere where the gradient (therefore derivative) of a graph/function is 0, is a stationary point. If it is a maximum or minimum, then it is also a turning point. However, there is a third type of stationary point which is not a turning point (max or min). This s called a 'point of inflection' and I think this is what you were trying to describe by the 'thunderbolt'. x=0 on the graph of x^3 is an example of a point of inflection (a stationary point that is not a turning point).

Maybe :redface: Like I said, i haven't done this in a year, and I did fail c2 :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by Clare~Bear
Maybe :redface: Like I said, i haven't done this in a year, and I did fail c2 :redface:

then why don't you let people like tenofthem do the job instead of spreading poisonous misinformation?
Original post by Ilyas
then why don't you let people like tenofthem do the job instead of spreading poisonous misinformation?

Cos I thought I was right. Not everyone gives correct answers on TSR.
Reply 11
Original post by Ilyas

lol, anyway like I said im doing c3 and I dont think point of infaltion is on it so yea
lol, anyway like I said im doing c3 and I dont think point of infaltion is on it so yea

I think that you will find that you do need to know about points of inflexion

You will need to consider what is happening when the second derivative =0
Reply 13
Original post by TenOfThem
I think that you will find that you do need to know about points of inflexion

You will need to consider what is happening when the second derivative =0

I believe you derive the second time to find max/min gradient of the curve, out of 6 past papers I've done I only met this once
I believe you derive the second time to find max/min gradient of the curve, out of 6 past papers I've done I only met this once

You derive the second time to determine the nature of the stationary point

My Bad ... you learnt this at C2 ... apparently
(edited 11 years ago)
A stationary point is where the gradient is zero.

Some stationary points are turning points.

Stationary points that are turning points are either maxima or minima, like in y = x^2 or y = -x^2.

Stationary points that are not turning points must be points of inflection, like in y = x^3.

BUT points of inflection do not have to be stationary points. For example y = x^3 - x has a point of inflection at (0,0) that is not a stationary point. It's where the curve changes from 'bending' one way to bending the other. In other words where the tangent crosses the curve.
Original post by ian.slater

BUT points of inflection do not have to be stationary points. For example y = x^3 - x has a point of inflection at (0,0) that is not a stationary point. It's where the curve changes from 'bending' one way to bending the other. In other words where the tangent crosses the curve.

Are you sure?
They're used rather interchangeably in maths even at A level - no?

If they're two different things, then Edexcel has misled me for 2 years then... :/

Sorry

My question related to the fact that y=x^3-x has no such point at (0,0)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest