Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Top jobs 'restricted to graduates with first-class degrees' :(

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Move if it's in the wrong place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...s-degrees.html

Since I've been seeing a lot of threads recently about people getting 2.2 seems it's getting tougher for 2.1 students now .

Opinions please.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a great news! I have a first class degree!

Unfortunately, it's in English.

:colonhash:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well looks like I'm gonna have to work harder.

But to be fair, it's only like choosing someone with an A* over an A, or an A over a B.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know people that have applied for jobs with a 2.2 when the specifications have asked for a 2.1 and been selected for interview and got it. I also know people that haven't been to university at all and got some years experience behind them and got a good job and working their way up (this would depend on what jobs you want, obviously).

I think you just have to put yourself out there, never say never.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense to choose the people with the higher grades. However you never know who you're competing with. At times they'll fall back on the grades but your work ethic and your attitude does play a part in jobs.

However, if there was no-one with Firsts applying then I don't see why they wouldn't accept people with lower grades.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a nonsensical title on that "article" - nowhere does it say that any jobs are "restricted" to first class graduates; it only says that some jobs are "considering" it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    why shouldn't they be? better acadamic performance --> better job, seems reasonable to me.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no grade inflation with degrees, there's just way more people who have them now. This is a pretty obvious consequence of putting too many people through university relatively to the amount of graduate roles there are. For some reason Labour thought the order you're meant to do things is supply first then demand second, instead of demand that you supply. We're going to end up going down the Japanese route where people with degrees work in McDonalds before long.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats not the case anyway. Im pretty sure a 1st from East london or University of Bolton would be worth less than a 2:1 from say UEA or Lincoln
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seems reasonable enough, but also what University you went to and what degree you studied e.g. a degree in mathematical economics, or a science/ mathematical degree will have greater derived demand by employers due to the industry they enter ( banking, finance in general) and so it's no wonder the employment rates of those graduates are higher with higher salaries..

Still English degree's are respected yet there's less derived demand, but still good for many jobs.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    There is no grade inflation with degrees, there's just way more people who have them now. This is a pretty obvious consequence of putting too many people through university relatively to the amount of graduate roles there are. For some reason Labour thought the order you're meant to do things is supply first then demand second, instead of demand that you supply. We're going to end up going down the Japanese route where people with degrees work in McDonalds before long.
    I know quite a few graduates who are in McDonalds

I think it is still about the whole package more than just academic performance, if you've got lots of experience and strong references then you might be able to slip a little on the grades. People can't just rely on a degree to get a job like they might have in the past, employers want a lot more and why not? It's a buyers market!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I know quite a few graduates who are in McDonalds

I think it is still about the whole package more than just academic performance, if you've got lots of experience and strong references then you might be able to slip a little on the grades. People can't just rely on a degree to get a job like they might have in the past, employers want a lot more and why not? It's a buyers market!
    Don't tell anyone this, but i've heard you can look for businesses that have recently closed and put them down as a reference :shh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for CEO at every company listed on the FTSE 100, and i haven't even had any interviews. Is it because i have a Ph.D in African Dancing Studies?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Don't tell anyone this, but i've heard you can look for businesses that have recently closed and put them down as a reference :shh:
    I'd be careful about doing this, I applied for a summer job and they wanted references from everyone I'd worked for in the last 2 years. (which was a lot as I'd worked part-time in a few places) This was for a 5 week summer job! :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    They may be considering it, but it certainly isn't true now. I make tea for a living... but it's a job at the end of the day, not complaining.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Thats not the case anyway. Im pretty sure a 1st from East london or University of Bolton would be worth less than a 2:1 from say UEA or Lincoln
    Really? Lincoln is your go-to high end university?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandub)
    Really? Lincoln is your go-to high end university?
    No, i didnt want to be the stereo-typical 'hey lets jump on the band wagon and really kiss up to oxbridge'. Im trying to be original see?

Lincoln is much better than bolton.

Good job making yourself look like a stuck up dick.

lol at neggers, Im not going lincoln and never applied there. I plucked it out of thin air. Bit pathetic tbh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    all your degree grade tells people is that you are good/not good at writing essays or exams. for example: i am on a teaching degree, i have a lot more practical experience and knowledge than a lot of people on my course, but i am not good at writing academically.
    so some people on my course who in my opinion will not make good teachers, are going to leave with a 1st and appear to be better for the job because they are good at writing.

i think this needs to change for some degrees
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I need to aim higher. Soon getting a 1st won't be enough, it will be based on how much experience you got.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)

Good job making yourself look like a stuck up dick.
    Easy tiger.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 8, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.