The Student Room Group

Things to take to uni you wouldn't of thought about.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
This probably sounds really stupid but,

check the water hardness (dunno if thats the correct phrasing haha) of where you live now and where your going. If its considerably different a water filter as the water will taste weird.

I ended up buying one there and getting a load of refills for christmas. getting such a "practical" christmas present made me feel old :frown:
Original post by Samus2
An Ikea bag works wonders!

Haha! Ill keep this in mind if i ever go to Ikea!
Reply 62
Original post by sr90
You're kidding, right?

I don't know anyone who kept all their cutlery over the course of the year.

Mine said the same, but it wasn't enforced and everybody had posters up.

This.

If you're being anal about it, just get white tac.
Original post by Jellybeany
Haha! Ill keep this in mind if i ever go to Ikea!

You can't beat an Ikea bag! They work wonders for pretty much anything and everything! Failing that TK maxx 'bag for life' type bags are really big, waterproof ikea bag material and have shoulder straps. I have both incase I have way to much laundry or need extra storage!
This is the list of things I had from ages ago. Look it through it and there might be something you pick out:

Bathroom:
Big salon bottles of shampoo and conditioner x2- will last you until Christmas easily
3/4 big bottles of shower- again will last you till Christmas
2x bars of soap
Packet of razors
3x cans of shaving foam
3x cans/rolls of deodrant
2x tubes of toothpaste
Toothbrush
Dental floss
Mouthwash
Girls- large supply of tampons and sanitary towels (I brought some pretty wicker baskets to store them in)
^^(Throw all these in with a weekly shop while you are at home- will save you money. Home bargains, pound world, poundland are the cheapest to get these things.)
2x bath towels
2x handtowels
2x facecloths
2x bath matts
First aid bits- Nurofen, ibruprofen, plasters, paracetamol, TCP, cotton wool, gauzes and bandages are always useful- if not for yourself but someone else. Again poundworld etc are good places to get these things.

Bedroom:
Double duvet (Primark duvets are the warmest things ever)
Two pillows (John lewis do really thick ones that have lasted me forever)
Mattress protector (mattress could be dirty)
Mattress topper (for added comfort)
2x sets of bedlinen (fitted sheet, duvet cover, pillow cases)
Blanket and cushions (cushions are great if people come to see you and don't want to sit on a hard floor!)
Rug (you will probably have to wait until you get into halls and measure the space)
Posters
Bedside lamp
Desk lamp
Office chair (those flimsy ones with no back support are horrid- my parents took it home and I put it back at the end of the year)

Bedroom miscellaneous:
-Long mirror (just be careful you don't knock it over when your drunk and it smashes into your desk)
-I had a drawer tower (plastic drawers on wheels)- top drawer had hairdryer + hair straighteners +curlers, second drawer had hairbrushes and combs +bobbles and hair slides and other hair bits (moroccan oil, hairspray, kerastase, blowdry lotion) and the bottom three drawers had my make and make up cases in.
-Shoe rack. I got really cheaply and it was great
-Coat rack. Again great and used it for my handbags too
-Hangers
-Underbed storage bags (great for shopping bags and things you want to keep hidden!!!)
-Surface wipes

Entertainment:
TV/DVD/games console
Tablet?
DS/PSP
Books- I brought a cheap bookcase from Ikea. Sold it on eBay at the end of the year
DVDS- Don't take them in cases, get a few of those wallet things and leave the boxes at home- same with any games
Mobile phone
Laptop/computer
Countless charges- maybe get a basket to put them in.

Study:
Annual year planner
Diary
Notepad
Folder
Dividers
Plastic pockets
Pencil case: 3 pens, pencil, ruler, rubber, highlighters
(I would leave buying anything else until you have scoped what you need)

Miscellaneous:
2x bottles of washing up liquid
Washing up gloves
Pack of pan scourers
Pack of dishcloths
2x bottles of bleach based kitchen cleaner
Soap powder (COSTCO and Mackro members- you can get yours there in huge quantities for cheap). Boxes in the supermarket are ridiculous, stick with the liquid tablets- ALDI do a packet for 60 washes for about £2.
Fabric conditioner
Pans- frying pan, medium pan, small pan.
2x plates
2x bowls
2x mugs
2x beakers
2x wine glasses
2x shot glasses
(all cheap at Wilkos)
Original post by sr90
You're kidding, right?

I don't know anyone who kept all their cutlery over the course of the year.

It's easy, I didn't lose anything and I only broke the handle of one knife...
Reply 66
Original post by blahblahblah1
So I'm doing my mental list of things I'm going to be taking to halls with me this September. Apart from the obvious things (clothes, posters etc) is there anything not as obvious that anyone can think would be useful to take?? 1 thing I've got is a doorstop (probably not the most non obvious but it didn't occur to me straight away)

Anyone else got any ideas?

A mattress topper from IKEA... those university mattresses can be like camp beds!

:smile:
Original post by catoswyn
A mattress topper from IKEA... those university mattresses can be like camp beds!

I wouldn't get one from IKEA- they aren't standard size. You can get them in John Lewis.

Get a double one- double the comfort!
[QUOTE=Magdatrix >_

Mine were stolen by idiots from another halls who decided there wasn't enough rivalry between us and the halls opposite us!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A tray? For when you want to eat in your bedroom and you don't want to keep going in and out of the kitchen to get food and stuff.

And I know this is probably just me but i'm buying a small document wallet to keep coupons/vouchers in. This, I know would help make things so much easier for me when I'm hungry but don't feel like cooking or just want a take away or something.

Anyone taking a printer? :smile: do I need one? Doing law :smile:

Anyone taking a printer? :smile: do I need one? Doing law :smile:

The library will have printers but they cost stupid amounts (ours were 5p b and w or 30p colour per sheet) so it will save you money in the long run having a printer.....plus it's easier than everytime you need to print having to get up and go to the library....especially like me if you live a 20min bus ride to uni!

Reply 72
posting to follow this thread, thought i'd got everything but i really haven't thought it through!
Should I bring my Stationary PC with my 23" monitor...or is that weird lol. I'm a big time gamer but then again I dont know if i'll have time to play games
Original post by superpig22
The library will have printers but they cost stupid amounts (ours were 5p b and w or 30p colour per sheet) so it will save you money in the long run having a printer.....plus it's easier than everytime you need to print having to get up and go to the library....especially like me if you live a 20min bus ride to uni!

Thanks! There's loads of offers on at te moment :smile:

Reply 75
Original post by verello12
Should I bring my Stationary PC with my 23" monitor...or is that weird lol. I'm a big time gamer but then again I dont know if i'll have time to play games

Take it. There's no way you'll have no free time and it means you can work from your room

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i, because I'm probably at work.
Reply 76
hangers
Reply 77
Thinking about how much stuff I have to pack makes me feel physically sick. I hate packing.
Reply 78
Original post by ispymo
Thinking about how much stuff I have to pack makes me feel physically sick. I hate packing.

This exactly. And the fact I'm moving to France for university, so I'll have to buy most of my stuff there anyways. I still feel sick
Hey!

Which laundry bag has everyone gone for? I need an idea :biggrin:

I've got a pink one with "Giant Laundry Bag" written on it, from Poundland... it's going to look good carting that home on the bus :tongue: (taking bedding and towels home to wash).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending