The Student Room Group

Mum not letting me move out for uni

I've mentioned it several times to my my mum and every.single.time I get a "we'll talk about it later" and it's driving me crazy because I know for a fact she's not thinking about it, she already has her answer and it's no, she just wants me to shut up. And even if she truly did want to just discuss it later it'd be too late??? She's an immigrant she doesn't know how this stuff works and I constantly tell her that we won't be able to talk about it later after I've done my exams I need to get the answer NOW before I apply for student finance and whatnot but she just doesn't wanna hear it.

I even mentioned taking a gap year to save up some money before I eventually move out but she also hates that idea. She doesn't want me to be successful or have my own life, she wants me to finish my degree so we can go back home. Those are HER plans, not mine, she can't comprehend the idea that I wanna stay in England and I have plans of my own. I genuinely don't even understand her thought process??? She thought I'd live here for 10+ years and I wouldn't form an attachment and I'd just wanna go back to my home country just like that?? Does she not think I have goals of my own??? Plans of my own?? She doesn't even give a **** about what uni I go to, or what course I do, she just wants me to finish education ASAP

It's such a p** take. If she had a genuine reason like she wants me to stay safe or something then fair enough but it's all about controlling my life. I'm so so sick of it. SHe controls my life in every single capacity and I don't know how to cope anymore. She doesn't want me to succeed or anything, she just wants me to finish those 3 years quickly and move on so she can go back to our home country.

I made another thread a while back about retaking year 12 so I can do diff subjects, guess what, same response. She doesn't want me taking another year off because that hinders with her plans to go back home. No consideration for me at all. It's all her. Every single thing and it's driving me crazy
Time to start making plans to move out then. Unless you want to get dragged back 'home' with her.

Maybe apply to unis that aren't commutable.
what did u end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending