The Student Room Group

Interrupting my studies because of broken heart

I’m currently in my second year of uni of a four year course. Before summer I met a guy who I thought was good, after six months of getting to know each other, going on dates and doing couple things he threw everything away to move back to his home country without saying goodbye. I really struggled mentally because of this not being able to eat, struggling to sleep and keeping my hygiene. Currently I’m on my Christmas break. I have three essays due in mid January, some pieces of homeworks for two modules I take and an exam I have to have finished before the break ends. I tried the first week to not focus on it and get better but I still feel terrible. I want to interrupt my studies but don’t want to seem like I give up easily. I just believe that my work won’t be to the best of my ability.
That's a crappy experience.

Try to spend more time with other people on your course or friends, to take your mind off it. That's the best advice I've got. I think it works. Though I get it that Christmas break is difficult because lots of people disappear off to different parts of the country or world for a few weeks.

You may be able to apply for extenuating circumstances if you think this has effected you that seriously. But you will need some proof of this. I wouldn't know much. I suggesting talking to your student union or whatever advisory services are available to you at your uni. It might be a long shot, or not, but worth a try. It might buy you an extra few weeks.
Reply 2
Sorry to hear about this. From my own experience it’s not a sensible to jeopardise your future because of love angst and getting treated badly. Things do pick up after heartbreak and to have set back academic progress due to a person that now means nothing to you is a waste. It’s better if you can to lean in to the work as a distraction and take some satisfaction from battling through. Agree with Nonindigenous to get some support, you don’t seem that far behind and with a bit of understanding things could work out. I must say I haven’t always followed my advice, but have learnt from setbacks and really believe in this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending