The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do we blame morbidly obese people but not depressed people for their condition?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Being fat - You consume more calories than you burn. You are generally lazy, and greedy. Physical exercise is non existant/minimal, and your diet is terrible. Basically, you decide if you become obese or not.

Being depressed - You got into an accident where you'll be partially crippled for life. Your car broke down, and you have no money to repair it, and on top of that, your wife is divorcing you. You can't cope with the stresses of the situations you have been put into, and you sink into depression.

See the difference?
Reply 121
Original post by AkDo
The extent at which this is utter rubbish is so damn incomprehensible. First of all get depressed and then come back and say what it feels like. Chemical imbalances pretty much affect EVERYONE. Clinical depression affects around about 10% of people. The point is most people will experience a low mood in their lifetime but that's not depression. To actually be diagnosed of depression it's got to be two weeks of several different symptoms - and low mood doesn't even need to be one of them! Science shows that specific hormones are lowered, noradrenaline and serotonin, in depressed individuals and the treatments work. And don't give a load of rubbish about it's the placebo effect because they're tested against placebo. Seriously don't act so smart when the amount you know about the subject is less than my fingernail.

http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/02/new-study-ssri-antidepressants-dont.php

There is actually a lot of debate about the effectiveness of SSRIs in treating depression, but the psychiatrists and drug companies ultimately need a job and so they continue to push them like magic pills. Let us not delude ourselves with calling psychology a "science"(the entire field is in its infancy compared to natural sciences like physics), and using it to justify pushing dangerous drugs in society is just downright immoral.
Most people with depression usually have form of another medical condition alongside.
Reply 123
Original post by ish90an
http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/02/new-study-ssri-antidepressants-dont.php

There is actually a lot of debate about the effectiveness of SSRIs in treating depression, but the psychiatrists and drug companies ultimately need a job and so they continue to push them like magic pills. Let us not delude ourselves with calling psychology a "science"(the entire field is in its infancy compared to natural sciences like physics), and using it to justify pushing dangerous drugs in society is just downright immoral.

They do work. RCTs and various other high profile studies show they're effective just they take effect a few weeks to take effect. That's their issue. In high does they're toxic so you're giving someone potentially suicidal an easy way to commit suicide. They have a fair few side effects and finally in under 18s they can cause a higher incidence of suicide before they start their effect. That's the issues with them, they genuinely do work even when a double blind randomised control study is undertaken, they just don't work fast enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Speaking as someone who has been through depression, I can understand why you might think this but nevertheless I am quite taken aback that people think this way. In most cases, obesity is a lifestyle choice and due to making ill-informed decisions regarding diet and exercise. Depression is often due to biological factors - I have had two prominent episodes of major depression, and after the first I tried to do everything I could to prevent another from occurring. Nevertheless, it still did. Many people choose to live a lifestyle that leads to obesity - no one in their right mind would choose to become depressed.
Morbid obesity usually is accompanied by three conditions--genetic tendency, depression and low self-esteem.
Original post by ANARCHY__

There are more academic papers, of course, citing or reaching similar conclusions. It's laughable to read the pseudo-intellectuals (not yourself) coming on to this thread, claiming to possess any degree of knowledge by stating inane things like 'OH YEH UR JUST FAT COZ U DNT TRY HARD ENUF LALALALALALALA'. Both depression and morbid obesity, which is what the OP addressed, are serious clinical and medical conditions and the reason for the current perspectives on both of them is purely political and nothing else.

The Op got smashed by loads of people adamantly opposing a reasonable comparison with the very original defense of, "if you aren't an recognized authority then your opinion isn't valid. Of course they all ignored this very objective and informed post. The truth is even though both conditions are different illnesses they are often both caused by psychological problems. The sentiments on this thread are clearly prejudicial and hypocritical.
I don't think you can compare depression and obesity.

One means stop eating crap and control your diet. A physical action.
Another is battling depressing thoughts you can't escape.
Original post by delllboy
you work for happiness? really... well perhaps we ought to have you educating our doctors on psychiatric problems right now then should we?

no no doctor, depression isn't caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain such as serotonin. its because you aren't working for your happiness.

perhaps you could educate us on schizophrenia, is it simply that people aren't working hard enough for their sanity? what about psychosis? any other mental health illnesses that can simply be remedied by working harder at some aspect of life?

in all seriousness it should be pointed out that there is a difference between having just a low mood temporarily and actual clinical depression. one is common and goes away after a few days and the other is a serious mental health problem.

assuming you mean actual clinical depression, then no you are wrong. its not simply that the person isn't 'working for their happiness'. you are being very naive and insensitive to think this. perhaps you should read some about depression.
start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

The way I interpreted the person you quoted's point, was that happiness isn't the base feeling as such. Let me try and explain, people aren't usually happy all of the time, they are more content than anything. Happiness and sadness would be two ends of the scale and people tend to balance in the middle.

Of course if something good happens to you, you may feel bouts of happiness but this feeling usually dimmers after a while. Now if perhaps someone surrounds them self with more negative experiences or even through no fault of their own have to cope with lots of 'bad' times then of course their neutral state of mood will lean more towards the sad side. And prolonged sadness or depression isn't good though most people, but most people will have to deal with a time of depression because things happen such as death, sickness etc.

So in a way, and please don't bite my head of for this, happiness is a work in progress. Like finding the little joys in life to look towards or surrounding themselves with people who love and care for them. Because if you're surrounded by depressing situations and people you can't expect that to change your mood unless you work towards a more positive life situation.

And I've noticed that some people get depressed from the thought of knowing that they aren't happy, but happiness shouldn't be one's aim in life, contentedness should, because happiness is an elevated mood, take someone who is bipolar as an example, jumping from either opposites isn't ideal, a happy medium should be more preferred.

Sorry for the jumbled rant. :colondollar:

OMG just realised how old this post is sorry
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ckingalt
The Op got smashed by loads of people adamantly opposing a reasonable comparison with the very original defense of, "if you aren't an recognized authority then your opinion isn't valid. Of course they all ignored this very objective and informed post. The truth is even though both conditions are different illnesses they are often both caused by psychological problems. The sentiments on this thread are clearly prejudicial and hypocritical.

Thank you for picking up on my post. I was hoping more people would read what I've put and respond (in either support or opposition, I didn't mind) but it seems like most people on here are more concerned with perpetuating self-styled positions which, for the most part, I could argue are ill-informed or simply wrong.
Original post by natalieann1993
I don't think you can compare depression and obesity.

One means stop eating crap and control your diet. A physical action.
Another is battling depressing thoughts you can't escape.

Please refer to my post.
Reply 131
Original post by falseprofit
To my knowledge morbid obesity and depression are similar it these ways:

1. Both are considered to be the result of psychological issues/conditions
2. Both are debilitating to someone's health, relationships, and career.
3. Both may be caused by or exacerbated by personal behavior.
4. Those who suffer from both these conditions are likely to be a burden on family/friend/loved ones and society.

So why is it when someone disparages the morbidly obese for their behavior there is minimal outrage in response and often even a general consensus of agreement? (I have seen this occur often on TSR. TSR loves to abuse the fatties like the extra soft and squishy punching bags they are.)

Why is it when someone disparages the depressed they receive a torrent of outrange and often outright disgust for their audacity? (This always happens on TSR. Try even suggesting that depressed people may be slightly responsible for their own condition and the "pro-depression brigade" will come out in force prepared to fight for the honor and rights of these poor souls as if they are the last remnants of an endangered species.)

I have two theories as to why there is such an opposite in sentiment for two conditions with so much in common.

1. The accepted treatment for the obese is to educate and motivate them to change their habits and lifestyle. The accepted treatment for the depressed is medicate them and excuse their behavior/condition in order break the cycle of depression.

2. Because depression is so wide spread (1 in 4 people they say) many people here have been, are, or care about someone who is depressed. Depression hits to close to home, so when taken into consideration with point #1, too many people consider the depressed to be exempt from criticism. No one, should be exempt from criticism.

I think the disparity in peoples regard for obesity and depression is hypocritical, dishonest, and often self-serving. So should we be more understanding of one group or more critical of the other? I reckon we should probably be a little bit of both.

You're really so naive, bless you xxx
Reply 132
The OP has said some horrible things about depression (probably to upset and troll people), and not much about obesity. He seems quite prejudicial, and people have the right to tell him so.

Original post by ckingalt
Original post by Madmitten
The OP has said some horrible things about depression (probably to upset and troll people), and not much about obesity. He seems quite prejudicial, and people have the right to tell him so.

I have to say, the post I made does not necessarily correlate with what the OP was saying but just pointing out some misconceptions people have about both obesity and depression.
Please refer to my post.

It was too long sorry.
I wasn't insulting obese people. Just one is a more physical cure and the other is more an emotional one.

I haven't suffered from either. So evidently I'm going by assumption.
Both are awful. :frown:
I get some sick pleasure out of reading this thread, it irritates me so much i almost enjoy it. Lacking so much self control you can't control your calorie intake and one of the most crippling psychiatric illnesses are not the same. Only someone who has never experienced depression could rationalise this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Last I checked, we didn't mock people for having dying lived ones.
Original post by natalieann1993
It was too long sorry.
I wasn't insulting obese people. Just one is a more physical cure and the other is more an emotional one.

I haven't suffered from either. So evidently I'm going by assumption.
Both are awful. :frown:

No problem. All I was saying in summary was that obesity is caused (we don't know the frequency amongst obese people yet) by underlying mental health issues such as depression and I cited a couple of academic papers - just their abstracts - to point out it just wasn't as simple as fat people are fat because they eat a lot.
Original post by llessur123
I get some sick pleasure out of reading this thread, it irritates me so much i almost enjoy it. Lacking so much self control you can't control your calorie intake and one of the most crippling psychiatric illnesses are not the same. Only someone who has never experienced depression could rationalise this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I believe that's a slightly polarised view of the issue at hand. Nobody, at least I, are equating the two but to ignore obesity as a major health issue, not necessarily down to individual choice flies in the face of recent studies.
No problem. All I was saying in summary was that obesity is caused (we don't know the frequency amongst obese people yet) by underlying mental health issues such as depression and I cited a couple of academic papers - just their abstracts - to point out it just wasn't as simple as fat people are fat because they eat a lot.

Sorry I think we misread each other :tongue:

I meant its a physical cure, gastro band or dieting ect. Whereas depression in mainly dependent on therapies and drugs to change your mind state ect.

I don't think anyone could compare unless they've suffered from both

Latest

Trending

Trending