The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS Chemistry Unit 1 - 23Rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Bixel
You can also solve it by algebra in this way, this way does not rely on guesswork but does involves some maths.

asdfasdf.jpg

Apologies for poor quality!

That makes sense! Thank you
Original post by annaelizabet
thanks so much!! :biggrin: what is the definition for hydrogen bonding??

I don't know if there's a set definition, but it's the strongest of 3 types of intermolecular force and it occurs only if hydrogen is bonded to nitrogen, oxygen or fluorine :smile:
Reply 282
Original post by maryamnc
I have a question that I'm pretty sure I asked earlier. How do you draw the structure for metallic and ionic bonding, can someone draw it out for me please :smile:)) :smile:

Metallic:
gcsechem_60.gif

Ionic:
NaCl_crystal_structure.png

As you can see, in metallic bonding, there is delocalised electrons, which is why metal is a good conductor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 283
Original post by annaelizabet
thanks so much!! :biggrin: what is the definition for hydrogen bonding??

You won't be asked for the definition, but it's basically an attractive (dipole dipole) interaction between an electronegative atom (fluorine, oxygen and nitrogen) and a hydrogen atom (which is also bonded to an electronegative atom in the first place)
Reply 284
Original post by Minz
There was this question in the jan 2012 paper as follows:

The boiling points of fluorine and hydrogen fluoride are –188 oC and 19.5 oC respectively.
Explain, in terms of bonding, why the boiling point of fluorine is very low.

I started to talk about bonding (molecular and ionic) instead of IMF as mark scheme states. I never know when to talk about bonding or IMF in these types of questions. :frown: Any help?

Also, I've forgotten how to calculate the RAM in the spectrometry questions. Can anybody outline how you go about doing it from the data given in a table please.

When you heat a substance, you're breaking the intermolecular forces between molecules (hydrogen bonding, dipole-dipole or VDW), you're not changing the bonding of atoms within the molecule.

To find the relative atomic mass, multiply the Mr of each isotope by its relative abundance, add these together and divide it by the total relative abundance
Reply 285
Original post by sam1996
When you heat a substance, you're breaking the intermolecular forces between molecules (hydrogen bonding, dipole-dipole or VDW), you're not changing the bonding of atoms within the molecule.

To find the relative atomic mass, multiply the Mr of each isotope by its relative abundance, add these together and divide it by the total relative abundance

Thanks, the RAM bit makes sense but still a lil confused on the bonding part. So when would you talk about the bonding and say something like strong covalent bonds- therefore lots of energy required for bonds to be broken? Sorry :colondollar: Would the question make a difference if it said melting or boiling point btw?
I have a question that I'm pretty sure I asked earlier. How do you draw the structure for metallic and ionic bonding, can someone draw it out for me please :smile:)) :smile:

I can't physically draw it out as my phone's been sent for repair, so I can't put it up, but I'll upload a few diagrams and try to explain them.

The metallic one (first) is pretty alriight, I'd just draw the ions closer together as if they were touching each other, ane the electrons as 'e-' and more neatly, so the electrons forming a layer to show they're delocalised more clearly. Don't forget, the number of electrons per ion is relative to the charge of the ion.

The ionic one is quite good. You'd need to be able to show it's 3D structure. leave the lines out, but keep the 3D structure, and make it obviously 3D, so draw them out in this kind of arangement.

For each case, minimum of 3x3 ions
Reply 287
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I can't physically draw it out as my phone's been sent for repair, so I can't put it up, but I'll upload a few diagrams and try to explain them.

The metallic one (first) is pretty alriight, I'd just draw the ions closer together as if they were touching each other, ane the electrons as 'e-' and more neatly, so the electrons forming a layer to show they're delocalised more clearly. Don't forget, the number of electrons per ion is relative to the charge of the ion.

The ionic one is quite good. You'd need to be able to show it's 3D structure. leave the lines out, but keep the 3D structure, and make it obviously 3D, so draw them out in this kind of arangement.

For each case, minimum of 3x3 ions

Thankyou so much! :biggrin: for metallic do I need to show electrons and will I get penalised if i put wrong number of electrons?
Reply 288
Thankyou so much! :biggrin: for metallic do I need to show electrons and will I get penalised if i put wrong number of electrons?

You won't get penalised for putting in the wrong electrons, but usually they reccommend you show at least 6 of the positive metal ions in your diagram!
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
That is just crazy!
My study leave started on the 10th May and ends on the 10th June. :smile:

VERY VERY JEALOUS. My exams finish on the 4th of June and we're expected to go back on the 10th of june for A2. So I get 6 days off :smile:)))

Like Bixel said, you won;t get penalised, but its always better to play it safe.
What is the correct definition of relative atomic mass
Reply 292
Original post by lucasluke
What is the correct definition of relative atomic mass

It's in the AQA textbook - it can be defined as the average mass per atom relative to the mass of a twelfth (1/12) of a carbon-12 atom
Reply 293
Also when drawing shapes of molecules when I get something like NH2- I show the direction of dative bond and put it in brackets with a minus sign, but never seen marks for this on mark scheme so should I just stop doing that (e.g. in case I get it wrong could I loose marks?).
Original post by Bixel
It's in the AQA textbook - it can be defined as the average mass per atom relative to the mass of a twelfth (1/12) of a carbon-12 atom

My textbook says -
the average mass of one atom of an element compared to one twelfth the mass of a carbon 12 atom.
I think thats just the same ?
Reply 295
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Like Bixel said, you won;t get penalised, but its always better to play it safe.

Ah I see thanks! and thanks to bixel!
Reply 296
Original post by lucasluke
My textbook says -
the average mass of one atom of an element compared to one twelfth the mass of a carbon 12 atom.
I think thats just the same ?

Correct, it's the same. Key words are "compared to one twelfth of the mass of a carbon 12 atom"
Reply 297
'The weighted mean mass of an atom of an element compared with one-twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bixel
325px-Cyclobutane2.svg.png

Like this!

I thought alkanes had the formula Cn H2n+2?
Reply 299
Also when drawing shapes of molecules when I get something like NH2- I show the direction of dative bond and put it in brackets with a minus sign, but never seen marks for this on mark scheme so should I just stop doing that (e.g. in case I get it wrong could I loose marks?).

Just do what you feel comforatable with and make sure you give the question the full answer, for example if it asks you to show the charges or the lone pairs, make sure you draw those in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending