The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS Chemistry Unit 1 - 23Rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I thought alkanes had the formula Cn H2n+2?

This also confused me at the time, too. Since Cyclobutane is technically an isomer of butene, I guess the reason it is cyclobutane is because there is no carbon carbon double bond
I thought alkanes had the formula Cn H2n+2?

(LINEAR) ALKANES have the molecular formular CnH2n+2 (not always linear, but not 1st carbon and last carbon are seperate)
CYCLOALKANES have the molecular formular CnH2n (functional group isomers of alkenes)
Reply 302
Just did my last past paper and got 56! Hopefully can replicate in exam! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 303
Original post by maryamnc
Just did my last past paper and got 56! Hopefully can replicate in exam! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :biggrin::biggrin:

Well done, that's great! Good luck tomorrow!
good luck everyone, hope it's a decent paper :smile:
Reply 305
Original post by Bixel
Well done, that's great! Good luck tomorrow!

You too! Can't wait till it's over! (And then start revising for maths on friday :frown:)
Reply 306
Original post by maryamnc
You too! Can't wait till it's over! (And then start revising for maths on friday :frown:)

Ugh yes, I guess you have C2?
Remind me to go back in time and tell my past self not to do 3 Sciences and Maths!
Original post by Bixel
This also confused me at the time, too. Since Cyclobutane is technically an isomer of butene, I guess the reason it is cyclobutane is because there is no carbon carbon double bond

Original post by mynameisntbobk
(LINEAR) ALKANES have the molecular formular CnH2n+2 (not always linear, but not 1st carbon and last carbon are seperate)
CYCLOALKANES have the molecular formular CnH2n (functional group isomers of alkenes)

Ah, that's why.

Isomers are definitely my weakest topic.
Reply 308
Original post by Bixel
Ugh yes, I guess you have C2?
Remind me to go back in time and tell my past self not to do 3 Sciences and Maths!

Yup do you? I do bio and psychology as well. Why on earth did I take that godforsaken subject, better than physics though!
Reply 309
Ah, that's why.

I agree, I only fully learnt how to find out how many isomers a molecule has today!
Ah, that's why.

Technically, cycloalkanes and alkanes aren't isomers, they have different molecular formulas
Original post by Bixel
I agree, I only fully learnt how to find out how many isomers a molecule has today!

How do you do that? :colondollar:
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Haha! lol :biggrin:

I had all the unit 1 sciences and 2 general studies.
And then I have got all the unit 2 sciences on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of June! Its crazy!
What subjects do you do?
I do the sciences and German. :smile:

Ouch! Sounds painful :frown:
I do Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature :tongue:
Wow!
GL to anyone with this tomorrow (:
Reply 314
How do you do that? :colondollar:

Unfortunately it's just by drawing out the displayed formula :frown: I tried to find a pattern to find out how many isomers, but apparently the pattern exists but requires an army of computers to calculate!

Luckily however, in the past papers I've only encountered I think was isomers for an alkane (of which there is only chain isomers) which are really easy to find out!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 315
Original post by Bixel
Unfortunately it's just by drawing out the displayed formula :frown: I tried to find a pattern to find out how many isomers, but apparently the pattern exists but requires an army of computers to calculate!

Luckily however, in the past papers I've only encountered I think was isomers for an alkane (of which there is only chain isomers) which are really easy to find out!

Could you show me an example and draw it out and post it on here please, would help a lot
Reply 316
What is the definition of Mr? Like relative molecular mass? Would very much appreciate any help
Reply 317
Original post by Manni
Could you show me an example and draw it out and post it on here please, would help a lot

qu.png
In this question we're asked for the number of isomers of an alkane, Hexane.

Firstly, as it's an alkane, there is only CHAIN ISOMERS.
I began by drawing out the isomers, to which I found 4.
Then, I considered Hexane as an isomer of itself (this is confusing, but also true!)
Hence, hexane has 5 structural isomers!
BK5eyCrCIAAmQRz.jpg
Again sorry for the quality of the picture, having to upload these directly to twitter and relink it here from my phone!
Reply 318
Original post by jscockburn
This is basically a matter of learning some numbers. You will be presented with a molecule and you need to determine two things. The number of bonded pairs and the number of lone pairs on the centeral atom. Here's the learn and churn bit:

If there are 2 bonded pairs on the central atom then the angle is 180˚
If there are 3 bonded pairs on the central atom then the angle is 120˚
If there are 4 bonded pairs on the central atom then the angle is 109.5˚
If there are 6 bonded pairs on the central atom then the angle is 90˚

Now, lone pairs act the same as bonded pairs except the angle is reduced by 2.5˚. For example:

4 pairs on the central atom but one is a lone pair reduce the normal angle of 109.5 to 107˚ because the lone pair reduces the angle by 2.5˚

Thats all you need to know except the names of all of them which can be found easily in your textbook or the internet somewhere. The key to it is just drawing a good diagram and clearly stating the number of lone and bonded pairs.. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot so isw it a decrease of 2.5 for each lone pair
Reply 319
how does Boron deviate from the trend of first ionisation energies of period 2 from lithium to nitrogen i dont get it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending