The Student Room Group

The irony of our generation

Do you agree that the recent advancements in technology and social networking (this includes smartphones, facebook, and we all know TSR), is indirectly causing us to drift apart socially in real life and spend most of our time online?

With all of these methods that we can use to instantly communicate with the rest of the world within seconds and the world becoming more and more like a global village are we becoming more and more secluded and less reliant on real life relationships? We would think that with all this technology, we have the opportunity to make even more friends, but are we replacing real life interactions and friend making with our online friends? Is it healthy? In decades past, you would be almost forced to engage with people around you even if you found it hard because you had no choice.

I won't sit here and point fingers because I do it too. In the past, I had many online friends and I thought, if I have so many online friends, why bother making friends in the real world? Either way I still have friends. But in reality, my social skills deteriorated, I became socially awkward and couldn't hold a meaningful conversation with most people. This is because in my opinion, online friends give us a false sense of security. A lot of us weren't remotely popular at school, or were bullied or were shy but online we can be anything! We can talk how we like and reveal our thoughts without fear behind an anonymous screen. This then makes us feel like real life is quite inadequate and doesn't fulfill our need to be who we want to be without reproach from others. The online world is like a drug. The more time you spend on it, the more time you need to spend on it to feel the same sense of happiness as you did initially.

And maybe its the pessimist in me talking but it seems to affect a lot of our generation and increasingly, it seems. Do you think our lack of adequate social skills is due to the internet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Simply judging by the amount of people on here who complain about how they don't make friends easily or they feel socially awkward or the people who get their reassurance from people online, I might be a little inclined to think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% yes.
Reply 5
I don't really see what the problem is with having online friends. The internet allows people to have a larger social circle and therefore speak to people with more similar interests. You don't have to know people in real life to have many benefits of a friend.
I also think that a lot of the people who have a more virtual social group might not have necessarily have been good with people in real life but for some reason people seem to think that if it wasn't for technology they would be outgoing, sociable people.:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Do you agree that the recent advancements in technology and social networking (this includes smartphones, facebook, and we all know TSR), is indirectly causing us to drift apart socially in real life and spend most of our time online?

With all of these methods that we can use to instantly communicate with the rest of the world within seconds and the world becoming more and more like a global village are we becoming more and more secluded and less reliant on real life relationships? We would think that with all this technology, we have the opportunity to make even more friends, but are we replacing real life interactions and friend making with our online friends? Is it healthy? In decades past, you would be almost forced to engage with people around you even if you found it hard because you had no choice.

I won't sit here and point fingers because I do it too. In the past, I had many online friends and I thought, if I have so many online friends, why bother making friends in the real world? Either way I still have friends. But in reality, my social skills deteriorated, I became socially awkward and couldn't hold a meaningful conversation with most people. This is because in my opinion, online friends give us a false sense of security. A lot of us weren't remotely popular at school, or were bullied or were shy but online we can be anything! We can talk how we like and reveal our thoughts without fear behind an anonymous screen. This then makes us feel like real life is quite inadequate and doesn't fulfill our need to be who we want to be without reproach from others. The online world is like a drug. The more time you spend on it, the more time you need to spend on it to feel the same sense of happiness as you did initially.

And maybe its the pessimist in me talking but it seems to affect a lot of our generation and increasingly, it seems. Do you think our lack of adequate social skills is due to the internet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Reply 7
Original post by xaki90
No.

Wow, strong debating skills there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

There's good and bad on both of it.

Pros:I can say a lot of stuff here that I would probably never be able to say in real. Hence internet is cool.

Cons: Yes it replaces real life interactions and people are more happy to chat than spend time in real to find out if two people like each other.
Reply 9
I think this discussion has probably appeared on 8/10 blogs on the internet, every single national newspaper and probably also ten or twenty times before on TSR. It's been utterly done to death.
Original post by zaback21
There's good and bad on both of it.

Pros:I can say a lot of stuff here that I would probably never be able to say in real. Hence internet is cool.

Cons: Yes it replaces real life interactions and people are more happy to chat than spend time in real to find out if two people like each other.

Tbh I've kind of given up with this thread...

Thanks for your response though :smile:
Original post by Birkenhead
I think this discussion has probably appeared on 8/10 blogs on the internet, every single national newspaper and probably also ten or twenty times before on TSR. It's been utterly done to death.

Ok, thanks for the reminder.
Ok, thanks for the reminder.

No, no: thank you. :nothing:
Reply 13
Tbh I've kind of given up with this thread...

Thanks for your response though :smile:

You don't need to worry about when you make a thread if people will reply or not. Most people will reply more in stupid threads than good ones, that's how human really are.
No, no: thank you. :nothing:

:sigh:

You weren't held at gunpoint to click on this thread. If you're that bored, simply leave.
:sigh:

You weren't held at gunpoint to click on this thread. If you're that bored, simply leave.

You asked for discussion about a topic you brought up, I gave you some discussion. It's not very reasonable to ask someone to stop contributing just because they're pointing out that it's a discussion that's taken place tens of thousands of times before on the internet.

Honestly, I would have thought from your business' tagline you'd be more patient and civil.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zaback21
You don't need to worry about when you make a thread if people will reply or not. Most people will reply more in stupid threads than good ones, that's how human really are.

Yep, not surprised that threads like the brunette appreciation thread got hundreds of replies lol.
You asked for discussion about a topic you brought up, I gave you some discussion. It's not very reasonable to ask someone to stop contributing just because they're pointing out that it's a discussion that's taken place tens of thousands of times before on the internet.

Lol, if you call that discussion, then you are very much mistaken.

You simply pointed out that my thread is a repetition of other topics of discussion, meanwhile not including any meaningful addition to the real topic at hand like others had done. That is not discussion.
Lol, if you call that discussion, then you are very much mistaken.

You simply pointed out that my thread is a repetition of other topics of discussion, meanwhile not including any meaningful addition to the real topic at hand like others had done. That is not discussion.

Steady there, girl. Let's make sure we know what discussion actually means:

The action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

I was talking about the subject, in this case to 'exchange the idea' that it wasn't a subject worth discussing. Pretty valuable discussion really, since it makes sure any further discussion isn't a complete waste of people's time, which in this case it is, since their opinions will almost certainly be repeated on any one of the hundreds of news website comment sections, thousands of blogs and TSR threads where this discussion has already taken place countless times.
This video is interestingly relevant

[video="youtube;c6Bkr_udado"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Bkr_udado[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending