The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomd_love
lol no - that was a bit of an exaggeration I meant if you leave something why should you go back after you have left it. David Tennant got asked to be in Sarah Jane, the comic strip and a lot of other spin offs. The example was bad but the sentiment still stands - i'd be reluctant to go back to something i consider my past no matter how good it was

Why?I know you need to move on but why can't you go back every now and again that's why reunions occur.
Original post by Rakas21
I really don't think this season was bad when compared to series 6. The second half actually had the Snowmen and Nightmare in Silver in addition to a lot of average and only 1 bad episode.

Series 1, 2 and 4 were in a different league but the second half of series 7 was probably a little better than series 3 and 5 which were poor bar spectacular multi-parters (the master, Byzantium and pandorica). Series 6 should be erased from my mind.

Original post by muonz
:eek: How dare you! Blink is one of my favourite episodes! Along with Human Nature!

I think Series 3 is massively under-rated because everyone hates Martha. For me Martha is my least favourite companion but Series 3 is my favourite because the stories were excellent. Especially the second half of it. Perfection.

Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.

My biggest sorrow is that the last series has been so underwhelming that actually there aren't any episodes that come to mind (with Angels Take Manhattan the only one that is possibly an exception) that I would actively go and watch again whereas recently I went back and watched some episodes from series 3 and 4.
Reply 3082
Original post by Dalek1099
Why?I know you need to move on but why can't you go back every now and again that's why reunions occur.

I would say that there's a certain pressure. As DT was so fantastic as the Doctor, when he left people were saying "Ooh he should come back and stay" and other things, but I think it was the right time for him to go.

He was my favourite Doctor (perhaps because he was my first proper Doctor as my mum didn't really let me watch the first series) and the good thing about him leaving then was that we looked back with fondness.

And if you come back to a role, you HAVE to be as good, if not better than how you were before, which is why there would be some sort of apprehension towards it.
Reply 3083

Yeah but if no one has a reason to go back why should you? he was famous before who and i remember when he was hired thinking back to how great he was in a play i had seen. His career hasn't stalled so i'd struggle to find a reason to go back if i was him.

He may like john simm hate the drama that comes from who. John hates how vocal who fans are of his performance and even go as far as telling him they thought he was rubbish while he is out and about. <- this i feel is a valid point as who fans are scarily intense sometimes.
Reply 3084
Original post by SirMasterKey
I think Series 3 is massively under-rated because everyone hates Martha. For me Martha is my least favourite companion but Series 3 is my favourite because the stories were excellent. Especially the second half of it. Perfection.

My biggest sorrow is that the last series has been so underwhelming that actually there aren't any episodes that come to mind (with Angels Take Manhattan the only one that is possibly an exception) that I would actively go and watch again whereas recently I went back and watched some episodes from series 3 and 4.

Yeah, with Martha, I liked the stories in the series, but I wasn't that fond on her really at all. Freema Agyeman for me was a bit shaky in terms of acting occasionally, which quite hurt the immersion into the world which you try and do.

With the latest series I feel the same as you, except I kind of preferred the 2nd of it with Clara, and the only episode that really springs to mind for me was "Nightmare in Silver", and even then the details are quite foggy.
Original post by chernid
Yeah, with Martha, I liked the stories in the series, but I wasn't that fond on her really at all. Freema Agyeman for me was a bit shaky in terms of acting occasionally, which quite hurt the immersion into the world which you try and do.

With the latest series I feel the same as you, except I kind of preferred the 2nd of it with Clara, and the only episode that really springs to mind for me was "Nightmare in Silver", and even then the details are quite foggy.

Aye. Someone mentioned 'Hide' and I had to look up which one it was. Episodes in first 6 series I could tell you what happened in a heartbeat. Not so in series 7.

I'll also say that with my comment on not particularly being bothered to see them again, I would actually count both the 50th and Christmas special in there. I thought they were poorly done.
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Agreed. What was your favourite Tennant and Ecclestone episode? If you have the channel Watch, they're playing a lot of Tennant's episodes today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't directed at me but I'll hijack it anyway:

Eccleston - Dalek. Was just brutal and brilliant. One rogue Dalek is much scarier than millions in a fleet.
Tennant - Much harder as there's loads more material to choose from but I reckon The Waters of Mars, that was scary as hell. The two-parter with the Daleks in New York was pretty cool too.

What about you?
I would have to say that my top three favourite episodes/stories from the Eccleston era would be Dalek, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Fathers Day.

For the Tennant era they would be Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and The Waters of Mars.

Matt Smith's best three (for me) would be The Eleventh Hour, The Doctor's Wife and Amy's Choice.

Best Multi-Doctor Story?

The Day of the Doctor. Clever, epic, humorous, satisfying and filled with brilliant and subtle references, it just blows away the competition.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by St. Brynjar
Wasn't directed at me but I'll hijack it anyway:

Eccleston - Dalek. Was just brutal and brilliant. One rogue Dalek is much scarier than millions in a fleet.
Tennant - Much harder as there's loads more material to choose from but I reckon The Waters of Mars, that was scary as hell. The two-parter with the Daleks in New York was pretty cool too.

What about you?

Dalek was incredible, I remember crying a bit at the end of that episode, when the Dalek actually has an emotional capacity. I love stripped back episodes like that. Ecclestone- The Doctor Dances, Rose (just because it was the one that got me into Dr Who in the first place!)

Tennant- I agree, he is my Doctor and so I struggle to like other Doctors as much (I'm not knocking Matt Smith who I thought was incredible, but David Tennant brings so many dimensions to his character)- Blink, The Family of Blood, potentially Doomsday or Love & Monsters. I like it when they take risks in their writing and strip back overcomplex stories and focus on character development, which I think most of these episodes did, if not provide the episode from someone else' view towards the Doctor. Journey's End was also incredible, because I really like Catherine Tate as the Doctor's assistant, for once he has an equal and not a subordinate lover and her with Timelord capacities was an incredible feat.

Smith- I struggle to think of the names of most of his episodes, I have to look at my Netflix account, that's pretty shocking. I would say I enjoyed the original Torchwood more than Smith's episodes. If I had to pick though, it would be the Eleventh Hour, I think he established himself very quickly in his first episode, and I went from complete disdain of his cameo in Tennant's last episode, to admiration. Hence why I won't be joining others in putting down Capaldi for a twenty second bit of acting, when I've seen him as uniformly excellent in the Children of Earth in Torchwood and in the Thick of It. Someone remarked that he is being allowed to keep his accent based on that cameo, I just watched it again, he sounds like he's putting on an English accent.
Reply 3089
Dalek was incredible, I remember crying a bit at the end of that episode, when the Dalek actually has an emotional capacity. I love stripped back episodes like that. Ecclestone- The Doctor Dances, Rose (just because it was the one that got me into Dr Who in the first place!)

Tennant- I agree, he is my Doctor and so I struggle to like other Doctors as much (I'm not knocking Matt Smith who I thought was incredible, but David Tennant brings so many dimensions to his character)- Blink, The Family of Blood, potentially Doomsday or Love & Monsters. I like it when they take risks in their writing and strip back overcomplex stories and focus on character development, which I think most of these episodes did, if not provide the episode from someone else' view towards the Doctor. Journey's End was also incredible, because I really like Catherine Tate as the Doctor's assistant, for once he has an equal and not a subordinate lover and her with Timelord capacities was an incredible feat.

Smith- I struggle to think of the names of most of his episodes, I have to look at my Netflix account, that's pretty shocking. I would say I enjoyed the original Torchwood more than Smith's episodes. If I had to pick though, it would be the Eleventh Hour, I think he established himself very quickly in his first episode, and I went from complete disdain of his cameo in Tennant's last episode, to admiration. Hence why I won't be joining others in putting down Capaldi for a twenty second bit of acting, when I've seen him as uniformly excellent in the Children of Earth in Torchwood and in the Thick of It. Someone remarked that he is being allowed to keep his accent based on that cameo, I just watched it again, he sounds like he's putting on an English accent.

I thought he was using his normal accent during it, but it was quite confusing. It may make sense logistically as well. With Tennant's Doctor, his accent supposedly came from Rose to do with her imprinting herself on his incarnation or something.

And as Amy Pond was the most important companion during 11's incarnation, it would make sense that her Scottish accent would imprint on 12.
Original post by chernid
I thought he was using his normal accent during it, but it was quite confusing. It may make sense logistically as well. With Tennant's Doctor, his accent supposedly came from Rose to do with her imprinting herself on his incarnation or something.

And as Amy Pond was the most important companion during 11's incarnation, it would make sense that her Scottish accent would imprint on 12.

That's a nice theory, I'd like the Doctor to have a Scottish accent!
Whatever happened to the Doctors' psychic paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever happened to the Doctors' psychic paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably felt that it was a rather overused plot device that allowed the story to develop with far too much ease, so they retired it.

It'd be nice if they brought it back once or twice though.
They probably felt that it was a rather overused plot device that allowed the story to develop with far too much ease, so they retired it.

It'd be nice if they brought it back once or twice though.

It was seen in The Rebel Flesh where The Doctor uses it to pretend He is a Weatherman but has it appeared in any more recent episodes?
EDIT:According to Tardis.wikia it has still been used in many more recent episodes, the latest being Nightmare in Silver.
(edited 10 years ago)
It was seen in The Rebel Flesh where The Doctor uses it to pretend He is a Weatherman but has it appeared in any more recent episodes?

I don't remember seeing it at all after that.

Mind you, if the Memes have anything to say about how the Twelfth Doctor will enter restricted areas, then it will be all through the power of staring.
EDIT:According to Tardis.wikia it has still been used in many more recent episodes, the latest being Nightmare in Silver.

He used it to say he was an envoy from the emperor or something right at them landing on the planet.
Original post by rmhumphries
He used it to say he was an envoy from the emperor or something right at them landing on the planet.

I must have missed that. Mind you, I had probably zoned out by then.

It was one of those episodes that I really didn't like.
Reply 3097
I don't remember seeing it at all after that.

Mind you, if the Memes have anything to say about how the Twelfth Doctor will enter restricted areas, then it will be all through the power of staring.

It kind of stopped being used to prove identification and more to do other stuff. I don't know why a machine would respond to the paper?

However, I refute its because it was lazy because then the sonic screwdriver would be out like a shot (honestly it fixes all - now it even does wood. It works on WOOD!! :no:).
Reply 3098
Original post by randomd_love
It kind of stopped being used to prove identification and more to do other stuff. I don't know why a machine would respond to the paper?

However, I refute its because it was lazy because then the sonic screwdriver would be out like a shot (honestly it fixes all - now it even does wood. It works on WOOD!! :no:).

When did it work on wood? Did I miss something?
Reply 3099
Original post by muonz
When did it work on wood? Did I miss something?

In The Day of the Doctor they used it between the three doctors to open the prison door, but it technically took 400 years for the Sonic screwdriver to work out how to do it (Plus the door was open anyway)

Also, it was just a plot device to set up the ending, so I doubt we'll see it do it again...

Quick Reply

Latest