The Student Room Group

Request for 'latest' feed option

I raised this in the app feedback, but I really don't like the idea of this "for you" feed. I understand why TSR is doing it, it increases engagement, reduces unanswered threads and all that jazz. That's fine, I think it has its place. BUT... please introduce a chronological feed.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about this anymore, but back when I was looking for new content in Chat, I relied heavily on a chronological view of the latest posts. I could do without the posts from several days/weeks ago being there. It would be excellent if we could have a 'latest' feed. You could even do a Twitter and refuse to let us have it as default, that's fine, but please give us the option of a latest feed for the whole forum.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Charles III
I raised this in the app feedback, but I really don't like the idea of this "for you" feed. I understand why TSR is doing it, it increases engagement, reduces unanswered threads and all that jazz. That's fine, I think it has its place. BUT... please introduce a chronological feed.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about this anymore, but back when I was looking for new content in Chat, I relied heavily on a chronological view of the latest posts. I could do without the posts from several days/weeks ago being there. It would be excellent if we could have a 'latest' feed. You could even do a Twitter and refuse to let us have it as default, that's fine, but please give us the option of a latest feed for the whole forum.

Copied this out into a new thread so that we can keep track of it under our new bug/feedback process :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by RainbowLapras
Copied this out into a new thread so that we can keep track of it under our new bug/feedback process :biggrin:

Thank you! Sorry, I didn't know if feature requests were allowed in this forum, will keep it in mind for the future :smile:
Where is this not appearing?
I'm seeing a latest feed on homepage, react thread pages, etc.
I haven't found a page without one
Original post by 04MR17
Where is this not appearing?
I'm seeing a latest feed on homepage, react thread pages, etc.
I haven't found a page without one

Agree re chronological feeds.

Under the 'For Me' tab I have a list of entirely random feeds, from places I've never been on TSR, and in no chronological order at all.
Original post by threeportdrift
Agree re chronological feeds.

Under the 'For Me' tab I have a list of entirely random feeds, from places I've never been on TSR, and in no chronological order at all.

I'm seeing latest threads on the right hand side of the homepage:

Admittedly the massive widget in the main bit of the page has gone from the homepage, but that was only duplicated by the sidebar anyway.
No idea how to load a screen shot, but I've got a similar list of links down the RHS, but 80% of the page under the Home tab > 'For you' keeps changing. Sometimes I get two stacked sections saying Watched and Following, and both empty. If I refresh it, I get a list of random forums, most of which I've never visited, and they aren't in any sort of time order, some are a few minutes old, some several days.
Original post by threeportdrift
No idea how to load a screen shot, but I've got a similar list of links down the RHS, but 80% of the page under the Home tab > 'For you' keeps changing. Sometimes I get two stacked sections saying Watched and Following, and both empty. If I refresh it, I get a list of random forums, most of which I've never visited, and they aren't in any sort of time order, some are a few minutes old, some several days.

The for you feed isn't Latest Discussions, it's an algorithm suggesting stuff for you based on a load of factors.
I imagine it's aimed at the youth who do the social media and that, with all their scrolling and algorithms suggesting more crap for them. Rather than the high brow content TSR has to offer. It's comparatively useless for those of us who use the site in the traditional way. I have made a request that we get customisation options for the order of the widgets on the homepage. So that we can put the "For You" feed at the bottom where it belongs, while the youth can be happy with the default algorithm.

The watched threads, watched topics and following widgets are broken. They are working on this tomorrow apparently. Thread for that is here.
Reply 8
This is what expectation the page sets up right now:

The point of this post is to suggest that the default behaviour of the primary content highlighted above is that of Latest discussions, which is what the behaviour in the same place on the page in the old version was. There were also 'For you'/Trending/etc feeds which a user could select, but they were not the default.

Failing getting the feed to have a default of 'latest' (I entirely understand if it's shot down), in my opinion it wouldn't be too much to ask for a new 'Latest discussions' feed to be added, so people that are used to the previous functionality or those that simply prefer chronological content can choose that if they wish. It'd still annoy me, but at least I'd have the option. This would be similar to Twitter, who have the 'latest' chronological feed as a secondary option to the algorithmic 'for you' feed.

This is infinitely better than the static secondary content widgets on the sidebar - I'm not manually refreshing the page every time I want to know what's going on!
Thanks for your suggestion @Charles III, this is really helpful!

The new homepage is a first pass, so it's great to hear your thoughts and ideas for it. We'll definitely be revisiting it in the future to look at how we can optimise further.

If you have any further thoughts or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending