The Student Room Group

Would it be worth it pursuing a postgraduate degree in graduate entry medicine?

This September I'll be starting a degree in Drama, I was meant to start last September, but my mother passed away in March, and I didn't feel ready mentally and physically. I decided to delay it by taking a gap year, during the gap year I felt incredibly bored, I lived on my own, and there was barely anything to do, and I decided to do a course in paramedic science.

I've read that applying to study graduate entry medicine is tough and competitive, which leaves me wondering if I should consider pursuing it or not?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
I've got some experience in medicine as I was my mother's carer. I've been thinking about my postgraduate studies and came across the graduate entry medicine. This is something I haven't stopped thinking about but wondering if it's worth pursuing? I would love to become a qualified doctor, I would be the first ever person to complete a postgraduate degree in my family and become a doctor in any type of subject.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by science200101
This September I'll be starting a degree in Drama, I was meant to start last September, but my mother passed away in March, and I didn't feel ready mentally and physically. I decided to delay it by taking a gap year, during the gap year I felt incredibly bored, I lived on my own, and there was barely anything to do, and I decided to do a course in paramedic science.

I've read that applying to study graduate entry medicine is tough and competitive, which leaves me wondering if I should consider pursuing it or not?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
I've got some experience in medicine as I was my mother's carer. I've been thinking about my postgraduate studies and came across the graduate entry medicine. This is something I haven't stopped thinking about but wondering if it's worth pursuing? I would love to become a qualified doctor, I would be the first ever person to complete a postgraduate degree in my family and become a doctor in any type of subject.

So sorry to hear about your mother, and hope you have good supports around.

You are going to get repeated advice saying the same thing from people who are much more expert than i am, but here goes. Grad med is far far tougher than undergrad med in terms of competition. If you see yourself wanting medicine then please consider not wasting your many years of time and funding on a different degree. Back yourself and go for med now rather than later on, if it is really want you want then why waste 3 years doing something different. Take a gap year again and get yourself up to the requirements.

Really good luck,

Greg
Reply 3
Apply for standard entry medicine now. Look into foundation degrees, widening participation, etc.

FYI: graduate entry medicine is still an undergraduate degree. Postgraduate medicine is only for qualified doctors.
I'm sorry for the loss of your mum. I hope you're coping OK.

I've noticed that bereavement sometimes does change people's perspectives on life and their aims for the future, especially if the death was of a parent or someone else very close, so it's natural you'd be rethinking your degree choice. Just make sure you do some thorough research into all the different options and don't act totally on impulse.

As others have said, graduate entry medicine is very competitive, some courses still have A-level and GCSE requirements, and others won't accept paramedic science as a relevant first degree. The grad med programmes that don't consider A-levels and accept any degree tend to have higher GAMSAT/UCAT requirements. So if you're not in a position to apply for standard undergrad medicine now (and you might be eligible for a medicine degree with foundation year if you have a good set of A-levels in non-science subjects), it would be much more practical to study the necessary A-levels and then apply. Otherwise you're just postponing the problem. You don't want to do a whole degree and find you still aren't eligible for any courses.

If you don't want to study A-levels again, make sure you choose a degree you're likely to enjoy for its own sake. Don't pick something because you think it might lead to medicine. If you do paramedic science, it should be because you think you'd be happy as a paramedic. Otherwise you could end up with a job you don't really want.

Finally, remember that doctors and paramedics aren't the only roles out there. It might be worth looking into other healthcare professions too, and seeing if anything grabs your interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending