The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should You Receive Benefits If Your "Laziness" Is Caused By A Mental Health Condition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoftPunch
How do you know that? You never know when they will snap. Then it will be too late.

By that logic you should bang up any young, heterosexual male who drinks, because that's who commits most violent crime and you never know when we might just start lashing out at everyone and everything.
Original post by CharlieBarley80
I'm struck by the amount of ignorance by people who think mental illness is not a disability and that laziness is a symptom...what a load of absolutely bollyhocks!

I have OCD and severe Anxiety.....I was signed off work for 6 months because of it....and I hated every moment! I went through a myriad of symptoms and it was not a fun time at all.

If someone's life is severely affected then they should be given benefits if they cannot work but they should also be helped to reintegrate into society which is what I have done.

2ndClass - I was taking medication and was living my life to the full whilst studying at university but unfortunately family issues got too much and I had a slip up which can happen to anyone. My dad was a strict Army Sargeant but even he had a nervous breakdown. So before you make judgments please do some research about what you are referring to. Mental illness is a recognized disability and should be treated the same as a physical disability as it can be just as debilitating.

Tyrion Lannister - Well done for being open and honest about your mental health illness. The more people that open up about this then the less it is stigmatised.

Sorry to hear you have OCD and anxiety :hugs: Hope you're doing okay now!

Yeah I try to be open about it, I figure that by doing this, if I even help one person feel better, it's worth it. I felt so alone at my worst times, and even hearing someone else talk about it would have been so helpful.
Reply 42
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Are you trolling or ignorant?

The vast majority of mentally ill people never commit crimes. 1/20 violent crimes is committed by someone with a mental illness, meaning 19/20 violent crimes are committed by someone who does not.

So you're actually safer around us :woo:

You forgot to take into consideration the fact that there are naturally less people with mental illnesses ...

I am not trolling/being ignorant, but if that's all you have to say just because your own opinion differs from mine, that's cool.
Reply 43
Don't see what's wrong with it if they are properly diagnosed so as to avoid liars
How do you know that? You never know when they will snap. Then it will be too late.

Anyone can snap for any reason at any time...whether they are mentally ill or not!

Let's lock all mental ill patients up.....and why don't we do away with them as well....smacks of something that happened in World War II...

Stop judging mental illness everyone and be compassionate!
Precisely. Or they should not be asking for benefits. There's enough people already claiming benefits for whatever reasons they can come up with.

Right so you're saying that someone for whom the stress or energy of a daily job who be too much should be hospitalised even if they can care of themselves well enough to function. Most treatment is given 'in the community' because people getting out and about and doing standard tasks like shopping and cooking makes people better eventually.
I hope youve never taken a paracetamol. Or antibiotics. Or ibuprofen. I hope you've never been to the GP when you're ill. I hope youve never been to A&E if you've broken anything, sprained anything, or otherwise injured yourself. I hope you've never had a filling, tooth removed, or any dental work done. I hope you don't ever use any of the NHS resouces, and don't plan to, because if you did, you would be a walking hypocrite

Natural selection after all

Sorry but this analogy makes absolutely no sense.
Too many people claim to have 'depression' nowadays, and being stuck at home won't solve it; if anything it will just make the problem worse.

Are you a psychiatrist? If not, you're not really qualified to make either of those claims

Ad sitting at home helped my depression a lot more than being forced into situations that made me have anxiety attacks
Reply 48
Original post by Le Nombre
By that logic you should bang up any young, heterosexual male who drinks, because that's who commits most violent crime and you never know when we might just start lashing out at everyone and everything.

Mental illness and that are two different things. Provide a better example ... if you really wanna prove me wrong.
I hope youve never taken a paracetamol. Or antibiotics. Or ibuprofen. I hope you've never been to the GP when you're ill. I hope youve never been to A&E if you've broken anything, sprained anything, or otherwise injured yourself. I hope you've never had a filling, tooth removed, or any dental work done. I hope you don't ever use any of the NHS resouces, and don't plan to, because if you did, you would be a walking hypocrite

Natural selection after all

it's a balancing act between giving the truly debilitated essential help
and stopping a significant portion of the population from abusing a system which would sort of reward 'laziness' and 'lack of will power' (I put these in quotation marks because I realise that they're symptoms of these invisible diseases.)

so, for the benefit of the majority (the country would collapse if everyone began to say that they were 'depressed' and all got a nice sum of money each month for it), some must suffer. Its intrinsic cruelty to the biologically unfortunate made me think of Darwin--sorry if I caused offence. :giggle:
You forgot to take into consideration the fact that there are naturally less people with mental illnesses ...

I am not trolling/being ignorant, but if that's all you have to say just because your own opinion differs from mine, that's cool.

But 1/20 CRIMES, not 1/20 people. So that's irrelevant.

It's not because your opinion differs, it's because it's ignorant. I'd say the same if you said blacks should walk on the other side of the street

Original post by Oschene23
Sorry but this analogy makes absolutely no sense.

If you're a social daarwinist you should be against all forms of intervention
Reply 51
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Right so you're saying that someone for whom the stress or energy of a daily job who be too much should be hospitalised even if they can care of themselves well enough to function. Most treatment is given 'in the community' because people getting out and about and doing standard tasks like shopping and cooking makes people better eventually.

If they can look after themselves with help of medication they should be able to perform simple tasks as well; I am not talking about jobs like working in an oil business, being a scientist or lawyer; just even simply working in Tesco or whatever - not much effort required.
Original post by genuinelydense
it's a balancing act between giving the truly debilitated essential help
and stopping a significant portion of the population from abusing a system which would sort of reward 'laziness' and 'lack of will power' (I put these in quotation marks because I realise that they're symptoms of these invisible diseases.)

so, for the benefit of the majority (the country would collapse if everyone began to say that they were 'depressed' and all got a nice sum of money each month for it), some must suffer. Its intrinsic cruelty to the biologically unfortunate made me think of Darwin--sorry if I caused offence. :giggle:

Right, sorry, I thought you were advocating social darwinism...

Tbh if someone's properly diagnosed, it can't really be abused.
Too many people claim to have 'depression' nowadays, and being stuck at home won't solve it; if anything it will just make the problem worse.

And you think being stuck in hospital will? I agree that for some people will mental illness doing activity they enjoy can make a difference (for example I do archery and I knit, sew, crochet and bake and all these things help me feel go about myself) but doing a strict daily job is not the solution for the most ill patients. Remember - just because one person can cope doesn't mean everyone can.
Reply 54
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Just because one person functions on medication doesn't mean it works for everyone. These are incredibly complex conditions.

It works for the vast majority for people. The logic of that argument essentially suggests that because a certain type of medication doesn't work for a single person, it should be withdrawn because it wouldn't have any efficacy on others. For the most part they work pretty well for the majority of people and thus doesn't necessitate allowing those who have bi polar time off work. If one medication doesn't work, there are others.

Original post by FiniteMr
Depression is not a "feeling"! You can't feel "bipolar"! Depression is a complicated set of biological, cognitive, and environmental phenomena combining to make a disorder that can seriously alter (from 'normal') an individual's ability to feel certain ways, have productive thought processes, and carry out certain actions. It's frustrating and often debilitating. By displaying this level of intolerance you are perpetuating harmful stigma that further worsens a disorder that is perhaps the greatest cause of DALY burden in Western countries.

For slimy ballsacks' sake, the mind is based on functioning of the brain. The brain is a physical organ. WHY are illnesses of this organ treated with such mistrust and disdain compared to illnesses of any other organ?!!

Not feeling or relating in an emotional sense does not inhibit someone from doing their work. Would you honestly forsake your revision for an important exam just because you felt depressed? would turn down a dream job that was offered to you just because you have bi polar? of course you wouldn't. This is why I object to these ludicrous emotionally charged posts. And they're pretty disingenuous and do more to solidify this stigma.

Of course it's relevant. If 1/7 people with a condition are committing suicide and many more are trying, then obviously we aren't doing enough to help these people and they're not fit for work. They should be entitled to financial help.

I'm a drama queen for writing about my suicidal feelings in order to explain what depression is like? And I'm not lazy, when have I ever said that?

Good for your friend. Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky. Also, you don't know what she's like when you don't see her. There are people who have no idea I have depression, who don't know how anxious I get, who've never seen my crying with a razor blade in my hands who think I'm tough as ****. So that doesn't really prove anything.

Again you're ignoring the fact medication doesnt work for all people and doesn't help everything. Would you say the same about diabetes?

Like I mentioned to small town girl, there are plethora of medications available for bi polar and other psychological disorders. The fact you live in this country and they're heavily subsidized on the NHS completely refutes your point that "we aren't doing enough"

Second you are a drama queen and you are lazy. You said that you don't want to work and at the most it has to be part time, You want to be taken care off by your future husband. You're also a drama queen because you're hyper inflating your condition to make it appear as if it's some chronically debilitating syndrome that inhibits you from doing something. In reality, it's just you being over emotional lazy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Mental illness and that are two different things. Provide a better example ... if you really wanna prove me wrong.

Your issue is that people with mental illness are a threat to the public and thus need locking up for our safety, I'm saying that young males who drink are statistically a greater risk. And if you believee drunk young men don't suddenly turn violent for no obvious reason then you have lived a sheltered life.
(edited 10 years ago)
If they can look after themselves with help of medication they should be able to perform simple tasks as well; I am not talking about jobs like working in an oil business, being a scientist or lawyer; just even simply working in Tesco or whatever - not much effort required.

1) Having to face people working in Tesco - sometimes too much for people with MH problems
2) Having to get p at the right times - medications can **** with you and make you sleep late, plus a lot of us are also insomniacs
3) Not knowing how you are that day. Having a job requires commitment, if you're fine most of the time but once a week have a day where you can't get out of bed, no one will want to employ you

3 reasons why someone might be able to look after themselves but not work in Tesco
Original post by Jordooooom
Don't see what's wrong with it if they are properly diagnosed so as to avoid liars

Lack of diagnosis doesn't make them a liar. Diagnosising mental illness isn't easy.

Someone mentioned how we should all be locked. The majority aren't a danger to other people.
(edited 10 years ago)

If you're a social daarwinist you should be against all forms of intervention

Natural selection would suggest 'survival of the fittest'. Thus every human being would try to the upmost of their ability to better their health so if they didn't take those medicines, they would deserve to die out. Why would not taking them show natural selection at play?

Also on a separate point, the main issue with the 'soft' mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety and even stress is that they are regardless of what anyone would like to tell you impossible to diagnose. In reality, people can lie about these to get certain benefits, and it almost certainly is prevalent among our society. These people who whine about not being taken seriously need to start offering some solutions so that we can weed out those who are claiming undeservedly, rather than just expecting society to foot the bill for these frauds.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Exactly that. It's getting to the point that whenever someone feels rubbish they declare themselves as being depressed. I'd say this is the case most of the time.

Completely agree.

Latest

Trending

Trending