The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm really not looking forward to this exam. I have only memorised/learnt replication, protein synthesis, sexual reproduction in animal and plant and inheritance. and ive only briefly looked over ecosystems and effect on human activities. Theres so much to learn in this topic havent even started variation, evolution and genetics D:
Original post by dontsmackthejack
I'm really not looking forward to this exam. I have only memorised/learnt replication, protein synthesis, sexual reproduction in animal and plant and inheritance. and ive only briefly looked over ecosystems and effect on human activities. Theres so much to learn in this topic havent even started variation, evolution and genetics D:

It's my last week of school and my school teacher still hasn't finished the syllabus -_- (though 99% of us have resorted to self studying already )
The worst thing abt BY5 is you can't just memorize everything because there's a lot of application of theories like natural selection :frown:
and there are so many terms and procedures to learn in the genetic application topic x_x
Reply 22
Original post by koyyj127
It's my last week of school and my school teacher still hasn't finished the syllabus -_- (though 99% of us have resorted to self studying already )
The worst thing abt BY5 is you can't just memorize everything because there's a lot of application of theories like natural selection :frown:
and there are so many terms and procedures to learn in the genetic application topic x_x

Feel your pain! My teacher has left pretty much a whole topic til our last lesson on friday?! :mad:
sorry to hear all this! thankfully i have a very good teacher for BY5 and we finished the course in february! since then i revised everything in class, and done all the exam questions over and over again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
well but my teacher for BY4 really can't teach and we only finished the course last week and i don't get anything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Electrode
Oh I thought you meant by4 and by5 together. So you did it the other way round to us which I guess makes more sense since I think by5 is slightly harder than by4

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Electrode
Oh I thought you meant by4 and by5 together. So you did it the other way round to us which I guess makes more sense since I think by5 is slightly harder than by4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find BY5 a lot harder than BY4 because it's not just all memorizing :frown: bY4 is kinda easy because they tend to ask the same thing over and over agn and you also get more past papers to practice on :frown:
Reply 27
Personally I find By5 quite hard, i'm redoing this exam to try and get an A now.. last year I got A's in every single module including AS year.. then I revised solid 3 weeks for this exam and ended up getting a very low C (pretty much a D) which brought my overall grade to a B having been predicted higher :frown: Its pretty hard guys, dont underestimate it.. but the fact now you have to sit by4 and by5 in the same sitting may lower boundaries? ...or even still they examiners might include more synoptic things from BY4 and By2 and By1.. which would be poo for people like me :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by some student
Aww thanks! You didn't have to :colondollar: it's fine, everyone forgets silly things. At least you know it now rather than trying to remember it in the exam.

Crossing over during metaphase I, variation also comes from independent assortment also in metaphase I, from random gamete fusion (I think that's the term) and from mutations. Variations are good in a population as they allow natural selection to occur and so the species is likely to become fitter as a whole? (I know what I'm trying to say but can't think of the right words)

Question for you... in photosynthesis describe how the products of the light dependent stage are used in the light independent stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah albeit the mistakes corrected by the person below good work! im only sitting by5 so cba to learn all the photosynthesis again haha :wink:
Original post by some student
Yup! :smile: hi there!

hey :smile: you all sound so ready for this exam!
Doing this exam too! hateee BY5!
Reply 31
Original post by Beatbox22
Is anyone doing this exam? I hardly see anyone on the SR doing WJEC Biology :frown:
does anyone here have a good picture/drawing of a broad bean seed, in particular showing the micropyle? The one in my textbook is pretty crappy :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Nita.Jordan
hey :smile: you all sound so ready for this exam!

I really wish :frown:
Reply 33
anymore questions?
Reply 34
Hi needed some help with this question..

'Explain using diagrams, how you would determine the genotype of a pea plant with round, yellow peas.'

R = round
r = wrinkled
Y = Yellow
y = green

So the possible genotype combinations are. for Round Yellow peas... RRYY RrYy RrYY and RRYy

So I was assuming you do a back cross/test cross with a know recessive genotype (rryy) wrinkled green peas.. and then work it out from there.. but that seems like a lot of work to do for each combination just for 3 marks?

My teacher gave me this.. i think i'm attempting it wrong.. but can someone give me some guidance?

Many thanks :smile: :smile: :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi not too sure about this, but I think if you're going to do a test cross you have to be supplied with some other information about the offspring and whether they are all of one phenotype (then you can assume it's a double homozygous dominant ) or if there are 4 different phenotypes of offspring then you can assume it's a double heterozygous dominant genotype otherwise it's a bit pointless:smile: was there anything else in the question?
Original post by Beatbox22
anymore questions?

I'm concentrating on BY4 right now, but will continue the question thing later :wink:

As for your question below, I agree that it's a bit much for three marks. Are you sure it wasn't worth more? Or as Steves has already said, maybe there's a clue in an earlier part of the question that would help? Sorry this is a bit of a useless post, I'm not sure how to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Bits of BY4 and BY5 really suck - there's not one I like better than the other. Like I find BY4 quite scatty, it doesn't all link in together well, whereas BY5 atleast the genetics kinda links in with evolution and genetic code and sexual repro in humans. But I hate all the wordy conservation and energy stuff in BY5 :frown:
resat BY2 a few days ago, the questions they asked are so different from past papers (I've done past papers up till 2006 ) and weird :s-smilie: Hopefully BY5 won't be that hard :frown:
Reply 39
i don't wanna sound weird but you all realise we're up against each other in the exam. So effectively whenever we give each other tips we're helping each other do better in the exam and help increase the grade boundaries so that it becomes tougher to get get the grade we want...

Latest

Trending

Trending