The Student Room Group

The royal family? Yay or nay?

So a lot of people have mixed views toward the royal family
Some people don't want then to exist because they believe it creates social inequality and they don't really do anything
But others believe that they have every right to be there because they are 'royalty' after all
I haven't really given this much thought before but I am confused as to what the function of the royal family have in our society

What are you your views
Yay or nay??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

meh
Reply 2
Don't see the point in them really other than for attracting tourists but as long as we keep getting bank holidays I'm not going to complain!
Yay!

Brilliant for the economy and and cheaper than an elected head of state. Also to be honest with or without the royal family there will always be social inequality, no aspect of life is ever fair, for example why do some people live to 100 and others die at less than 1? We will never be able to change it, the simple fact is life is not fair.

Also think how boring our history would be without the royal family....
Reply 4
Royalist - Yay
Nay, I don't really see the point of them tbh
Original post by Fatima.R
Some people don't want then to exist because they believe it creates social inequality and they don't really do anything
But others believe that they have every right to be there because they are 'royalty' after all
I haven't really given this much thought before but I am confused as to what the function of the royal family have in our society

What are you your views
Yay or nay??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having ministers largely drawn from the typical private school (or excellent state), Oxbridge community does more to increase social inequality than the benign presence of the Royal Family ever could.

On a pragmatic basis, we should most certainly keep them. Republicans base most of their arguments on idealism and fail to appreciate the reality of the situation.
Yay!
Not only are they one of the biggest traditions that define us as a country but they bring in way more to the economy directly and indirectly that they use each year, they bring tourists to our country and the rich history of our great country is based around the royal family
Original post by enaayrah
Nay, I don't really see the point of them tbh

And I don't see the point of male nipples but I'm not going to go and slice them off lol
Reply 9
Only the uncultured dislike the Royal Family, I am not saying that one has to follow them (which I find sad) but not wanting to preserve an institution which is so historic demonstrates a remarkably poor understanding of custom.
Reply 10
Original post by Lady Comstock
Having ministers largely drawn from the typical private school (or excellent state), Oxbridge community does more to increase social inequality than the benign presence of the Royal Family ever could.

On a pragmatic basis, we should most certainly keep them. Republicans base most of their arguments on idealism and fail to appreciate the reality of the situation.

The obsession with inequality is grating, Oxbridge graduates are more than capable of leading the country if they see fit, it is not as though our modern world does not allow people of other standing into government... If you have the merit or loyalty, you will find your way.
Original post by Fatima.R

What are you your views
Yay or nay??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask yourself 2 questions..

1) Does the Royal Family cause any particular issues in our political system - If not then why change the status quo

2) Will appointing/electing another beaurocrat add anything positive at all to our political system - If you believe it would then you have more faith in the ability of politicians than i.
Original post by whorace
Only the uncultured dislike the Royal Family, I am not saying that one has to follow them (which I find sad) but not wanting to preserve an institution which is so historic demonstrates a remarkably poor understanding of custom.

Quite. The pomp, ceremony, splendour, majesty and theatre of the Royal Family is in its own right a reason for keeping them. To see the Queen in full regalia and sitting upon the gold throne in the House of Lords is certainly a sight to behold. Republicans want us to sacrifice this for the likes of Tracey Emin and Damien Hirst.
I don't have a problem with getting rid of the Monarchy.
What worries me is the prospect of David Cameron being made head of state is we do.

At least little old Liz is harmless.
Original post by whorace
The obsession with inequality is grating, Oxbridge graduates are more than capable of leading the country if they see fit, it is not as though our modern world does not allow people of other standing into government... If you have the merit or loyalty, you will find your way.

The point being that high-end politics most certainly contributes to what the OP describes as 'inequality' than the benign Royal Family.
Yay- royalist here and the fact almost all Labour supporters, SNP, green and Plaid supporters hate the royal family, it is just another reason to be pro royal
Guess I'm a Royalist, so yay :yep:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Guess I'm a Royalist, so yay :yep:

Nah theyre a waste of money. Kinda **** that they're still a thing tbh.
Original post by BrightonDunkley
And I don't see the point of male nipples but I'm not going to go and slice them off lol

What an odd comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending