The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit one revision aqa lets ask each other questions woop

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neuth
They do this virtually every year :fyi:
They always put a question in from another topic :redface:

Well then... I better finish by 10 minute revision break now.
Reply 41
Original post by BTAnonymous
Well then... I better finish by 10 minute revision break now.

I'm pretty sure there was a question about seals in my Physics paper :giggle:

It's probably just to differentiate between those who have revised continuously and are well prepared, and those who only look over the content of the exam the night before.
I am screwed, chemistry is like my worst science and I literally know nothing. Biology was supposed to be my best but even that went horribly wrong!
Do we need to know about smart alloys for C1? anyone know thanks :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Gcse123321
I am screwed, chemistry is like my worst science and I literally know nothing. Biology was supposed to be my best but even that went horribly wrong!
Do we need to know about smart alloys for C1? anyone know thanks :smile:

Stay positive :hugs:

Is there anything I can help you with?
Original post by Neuth
Stay positive :hugs:

Is there anything I can help you with?

I am just going through the specification and making notes, none of it is actually going in but I'm sure I'll be fine, thanks for offering. But do we need to know about smart alloys?
Reply 45
I am just going through the specification and making notes, none of it is actually going in but I'm sure I'll be fine, thanks for offering. But do we need to know about smart alloys?

I don't know, sorry - I'm not doing GCSEs :redface:

I can have a look for you?
Reply 46
Definitely need the help, chemistry is my worst subject. :s-smilie:
Original post by Neuth
I don't know, sorry - I'm not doing GCSEs :redface:

I can have a look for you?

Ok and yeah please, Bitesize really doesn't help distinguish the difference between core and additional science :s-smilie:
Original post by adlay
okay I'll start. .. Why do we use new methods such as bioleeching and phytomining to extract metals rather than the traditional methods?

Copper rich ores are running out, so scientists are looking for ways to extract metal from low grade ores? Think that's right 😕
Can someone explains everything they know about emulsions/emulsifiers? Thankyou!
Reply 50
Original post by lauzy00
Definitely need the help, chemistry is my worst subject. :s-smilie:

I do it for A-Level, so feel free to ask questions and I'll help you :h:

Ok and yeah please, Bitesize really doesn't help distinguish the difference between core and additional science :s-smilie:

The specification is here.
The section on C1 starts on page 34 :yep:

I'm not sure specifically what you're looking for, but I'm sure you know, so take a look on there :h:
Original post by GCSE_core
Can someone explains everything they know about emulsions/emulsifiers? Thankyou!

All I know is that emulsifiers have hydrophilic (water loving) and hydrophobic (water hating) properties. The head of the emulsifier is hydrophilic, so attracts the water based liquid and the tail of the emulsifier is hydrophobic so attracts the oil based liquid. :smile:
Reply 52
I failed biology yesterday i probably got like a D! :frown: I literally cried afterwards for ages and couldn't sleep last night! I just hope I can make up for it in chemistry and physics next week! I'm nervous! Just hope and pray that the grade boundries are low! Good luck everyone who's doing core next week! :wink: what do you think will come up?
The specification is here.
The section on C1 starts on page 34 :yep:

I'm not sure specifically what you're looking for, but I'm sure you know, so take a look on there :h:
Thank you so much
What does everything think the grade boundaries for yesterday's biology will be?
All I know is that emulsifiers have hydrophilic (water loving) and hydrophobic (water hating) properties. The head of the emulsifier is hydrophilic, so attracts the water based liquid and the tail of the emulsifier is hydrophobic so attracts the oil based liquid. :smile:

Thankyou! :smile:
You're probs gonna get me asking about five thousand questions now so i apologise- but what does it mean for an Ore to be concentrated?:
'Ores are mined and may be concentrated beforethe metal is extracted and purified.'

Emulsions are tiny droplets which are formed when two liquids are mixed together, Eventually they separate. This is an emulsion.

Emulsions can improve the texture and appearance of foods such as mayo.

Emulsifiers stop two liquids from separating. They do this because they contain molecules. These molecules have two distinctive ends:

Hydrophilic - water loving
Hydrophobic - water hating

Both ends are negatively charged. The hydrophilic end is attracted to water whereas the hydrophobic end is attracted to oil. This means they cannot separate and if two ends meet (so hydrophilic and hydrophilic) they will repel each other because they both have the same charge (negative).
What does everything think the grade boundaries for yesterday's biology will be?

Lower than usual. I think 42/41 for an A*. Could be like 2012 where you need 39 for an A* and 32 for an A though so stay positive.
You're probs gonna get me asking about five thousand questions now so i apologise- but what does it mean for an Ore to be concentrated?:
'Ores are mined and may be concentrated beforethe metal is extracted and purified.'

Remove any impurities because ores naturally contain impurities such as limestone. Limestone is mainly calcium carbonate but still contains impurities.

Quick Reply

Latest