The Student Room Group

ABD to AAA in 5 months? ( help 😭😭 )

prepare yourself for a very long post - i really need help 😭 - i'd like maybe some advice on what i'm doing now and maybe what other people did to get AAA in their exams. it's basically the end of january so let's say i've got 5 months left until my exams in june (im in year 13 at sixth form)

for my subjects:
OCR A Biology - in year 12 i was at B's then it drastically dropped to E in my most recent mock - although i feel it's because the paper my teacher made was made of my weakest topics and ALL application. i feel my main problem is i don't remember the content very easily, but i can understand it rather quickly. for my ucas i was predicted a B but i would like an A. my current methods are spending a day to make a summary sheet based on the spec for each topic (i didn't make any flashcards in year 12 and my notes aren't good enough). although this takes quite a bit of time and i don't have enough time to do practice questions. when i do practice questions i fail very heavily on 'explain' and 'describe' questions.

OCR A Chemistry - in year 12 i was very low at D's but by the start of year 13 september mocks i managed to bring it up to a B. however, i feel this was only because i miraculously did the paper before and was able to answer most of the extra questions added in, so i don't know how well i am actually doing now. im lost on how to revise for it. i'm very bad at remembering content things (trends in group 2, why is Cl more reactive) but i think i'm quite good with mechanisms and the maths questions. i would also like at least an A in chemistry.

Edexcel Maths - my maths is the least of my worries. in year 12 i was riding at B's to A's and im aiming for an A for the real thing. for maths, i want more advice on how to balance revising maths alongside my failing two subjects because i am very bad at prioritising. i would revise for only one subject and one subject will get completely neglected.

thank you guys so much!!! and if you need any other information would help. my routine is waking up at 5:00am and studying from 5:30am to 7:00am then using my free study periods at school to complete homework and do more work during school, then after school i do more work until about 8-9pm. weekends i wake up at 6:00am and study until 6:00pm.

i don't know what to do 😭😭 im definitely revising wrong but i don't know what to do because i feel like it's too late for anything to work
(edited 3 months ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by i25410
prepare yourself for a very long post - i really need help 😭 - i'd like maybe some advice on what i'm doing now and maybe what other people did to get AAA in their exams. it's basically the end of january so let's say i've got 5 months left until my exams in june (im in year 13 at sixth form)

for my subjects:
OCR A Biology - in year 12 i was at B's then it drastically dropped to E in my most recent mock - although i feel it's because the paper my teacher made was made of my weakest topics and ALL application. i feel my main problem is i don't remember the content very easily, but i can understand it rather quickly. for my ucas i was predicted a B but i would like an A. my current methods are spending a day to make a summary sheet based on the spec for each topic (i didn't make any flashcards in year 12 and my notes aren't good enough). although this takes quite a bit of time and i don't have enough time to do practice questions. when i do practice questions i fail very heavily on 'explain' and 'describe' questions.

OCR A Chemistry - in year 12 i was very low at D's but by the start of year 13 september mocks i managed to bring it up to a B. however, i feel this was only because i miraculously did the paper before and was able to answer most of the extra questions added in, so i don't know how well i am actually doing now. im lost on how to revise for it. i'm very bad at remembering content things (trends in group 2, why is Cl more reactive) but i think i'm quite good with mechanisms and the maths questions. i would also like at least an A in chemistry.

Edexcel Maths - my maths is the least of my worries. in year 12 i was riding at B's to A's and im aiming for an A for the real thing. for maths, i want more advice on how to balance revising maths alongside my failing two subjects because i am very bad at prioritising. i would revise for only one subject and one subject will get completely neglected.

thank you guys so much!!! and if you need any other information would help. my routine is waking up at 5:00am and studying from 5:30am to 7:00am then using my free study periods at school to complete homework and do more work during school, then after school i do more work until about 8-9pm. weekends i wake up at 6:00am and study until 6:00pm.

i don't know what to do 😭😭 im definitely revising wrong but i don't know what to do because i feel like it's too late for anything to work

I am in a similar position as you, a year 13 doing bio, chem and psychology with the same struggle of falling from an A in yr12 to an E. i was really disappointed in myself blamed my teacher that they made it extremely hard, but no that won’t do anything. Just like you I thought i was doing enough because you are already revising so much and its good you have recognised your method of revising is not right like mine!

So i have remade my notes for most of the units in bio and every single one of it is according to the specification, usually found on the exam boards website. Make flashcard or a word document of the spec point and answer the spec point using your revision guide. Its a very lengthy process but it working for me. Then learn the answer and when you think you are fully confident, do exam questions and mark it harshly, see where you are getting it wrong and then go over the area again.

Similarly for chem, Learn the content like what the trends are down a group and across a period and for mechanism and maths, write a story/process of how to do it and once you understand the process you can do the exam questions easily and then mark it.
Anything you aren’t sure about or don’t understand a topic watch youtube videos all kinds until u are sure of it

Also it looks like you are studying way too much. Do half an hour but be productive in it, use the entire half hour wisely, don’t touch your phone in that time i like to make a Timelapse; stops me me from checking the phone and is satisfying to watch afterwards. take small breaks to keep your brain working. Make a consistent routine for example an hour of bio to do the specific topic and when the hour is over time for bio is up, go to the next subject and when the 2nd hour is finished you can go back to bio and seem how much your brain has retained.

I sincerely hope it works out for us and we get the grades we need. Pls ask me anything u don’t understand in my explanation.
Good luck!! 🙂
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ontor syed
Its over for bro 😭😭😭

crying throwing up convulsing evaporating into thin air 😭😭😭😭🪦🪦🪦🪦🪦
Reply 4
Original post by AspiringSurvivor
I am in a similar position as you, a year 13 doing bio, chem and psychology with the same struggle of falling from an A in yr12 to an E. i was really disappointed in myself blamed my teacher that they made it extremely hard, but no that won’t do anything. Just like you I thought i was doing enough because you are already revising so much and its good you have recognised your method of revising is not right like mine!

So i have remade my notes for most of the units in bio and every single one of it is according to the specification, usually found on the exam boards website. Make flashcard or a word document of the spec point and answer the spec point using your revision guide. Its a very lengthy process but it working for me. Then learn the answer and when you think you are fully confident, do exam questions and mark it harshly, see where you are getting it wrong and then go over the area again.

Similarly for chem, Learn the content like what the trends are down a group and across a period and for mechanism and maths, write a story/process of how to do it and once you understand the process you can do the exam questions easily and then mark it.
Anything you aren’t sure about or don’t understand a topic watch youtube videos all kinds until u are sure of it

Also it looks like you are studying way too much. Do half an hour but be productive in it, use the entire half hour wisely, don’t touch your phone in that time i like to make a Timelapse; stops me me from checking the phone and is satisfying to watch afterwards. take small breaks to keep your brain working. Make a consistent routine for example an hour of bio to do the specific topic and when the hour is over time for bio is up, go to the next subject and when the 2nd hour is finished you can go back to bio and seem how much your brain has retained.

I sincerely hope it works out for us and we get the grades we need. Pls ask me anything u don’t understand in my explanation.
Good luck!! 🙂

you are an angel 🫶 could i ask how long does it usually take you for each topic? especially for bio and chem (only cause i dont do psych) because if im not careful i could end up spending the whole day and i feel like it's a waste 😭thank you so much though i genuiely hope you get all A* for our exams woop woop !!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by i25410

for my subjects:

I’m also in year 13 and taking the same subjects!! It’s not too late, i just think you’re revising too much, you have to actually be retaining content in order for long revision sessions to work.

for biology - flashcards and blurting are perfect. you can find so many pre-made decks on quizlet and anki!! Have a look on tiktok, loads of people link their flashcards. summary sheets aren’t exactly the most helpful things in the world if you’re not blurting them out again because then it’s just making unnecessary notes. knowing your AO1 is key!! practice questions have more importance than summary sheets

for chemistry - same advice with flashcards as in biology. practice questions are really important within chemistry but it’s equally important to know why certain things are happening/being used so make sure you’re fully understanding why eg. a certain IE is higher than another. for those remembering questions it’s about constantly refreshing your memory with flashcards/questions.

overall, i think it’s just about not burning out and knowing when it’s time to stop revising. maybe making a revision timetable? this can help with prioritising as you devote specific times to specific topics you’re struggling with.

i’m also in year 13 so this is just advice but i just wanted to offer any info that could help as i went from BBD to A*A*A in about 3 months 😭 good luck!!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by aalimk
I’m also in year 13 and taking the same subjects!! It’s not too late, i just think you’re revising too much, you have to actually be retaining content in order for long revision sessions to work.

for biology - flashcards and blurting are perfect. you can find so many pre-made decks on quizlet and anki!! Have a look on tiktok, loads of people link their flashcards. summary sheets aren’t exactly the most helpful things in the world if you’re not blurting them out again because then it’s just making unnecessary notes. knowing your AO1 is key!! practice questions have more importance than summary sheets

for chemistry - same advice with flashcards as in biology. practice questions are really important within chemistry but it’s equally important to know why certain things are happening/being used so make sure you’re fully understanding why eg. a certain IE is higher than another. for those remembering questions it’s about constantly refreshing your memory with flashcards/questions.

overall, i think it’s just about not burning out and knowing when it’s time to stop revising. maybe making a revision timetable? this can help with prioritising as you devote specific times to specific topics you’re struggling with.

i’m also in year 13 so this is just advice but i just wanted to offer any info that could help as i went from BBD to A*A*A in about 3 months 😭 good luck!!

okay but getting to where you are now in 3 months is so cool ?!!!? manifesting to be like you and that you smash ur exams this year fr !! thank you so much for this though any advice helps and ur advice helped a lot :biggrin: although whenever i make a revision timetable, i always end up going over the time and then stress out, like if im not done with a question bank of questions but the times up i dont feel good just stopping and moving on 😭 i'll try these thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by i25410
okay but getting to where you are now in 3 months is so cool ?!!!? manifesting to be like you and that you smash ur exams this year fr !! thank you so much for this though any advice helps and ur advice helped a lot :biggrin: although whenever i make a revision timetable, i always end up going over the time and then stress out, like if im not done with a question bank of questions but the times up i dont feel good just stopping and moving on 😭 i'll try these thank you so much!

you could try by giving yourself tasks rather than time slots. eg. “do questions on photosynthesis after school, then do respiration flashcards” so you’re not putting only time pressure on yourself, you’re just ticking off tasks. there’s an app called NoteCircle which is really good for planning! 🫶
Original post by i25410
you are an angel 🫶 could i ask how long does it usually take you for each topic? especially for bio and chem (only cause i dont do psych) because if im not careful i could end up spending the whole day and i feel like it's a waste 😭thank you so much though i genuiely hope you get all A* for our exams woop woop !!!!!

Hi sorry for such a late reply! But i timed myself today and it really depends on topic, it took me 30 mins for unit 5: respiration and around an hour maybe a bit less for photosynthesis unit 5 too! So use pre-made notes from like physics and maths tutor, the detailed notes so you don’t waste time finding answers to the spec point and do like 10-15 mins of exam questions from the website as well. https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-ocr-a/ This is the website which has exam questions and notes.
Hope its going well!
Original post by i25410

for my subjects:

I'm not an expert in bio and chemistry - but if you ask me I'd suggest Isaac Physics (which others didn't mention for some reason)
Reply 10
you need to copy and paste this is r/6thForm on reddit. trust me there’s sooooo many students on there you’ll get help immediately. i joined reddit when i was in 6th form because i needed help and didn’t realise the thousands of students all from the UK in the same place as me. thank me later
Original post by aalimk
Original post by i25410

for my subjects:

I am in Year 12 doing Alevel Biology Chemistry & psychology hust scraped a c on all 3. Any chance you can tell me where i can get flash cards/notes from previous Alevel students. Im struggling alot so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by ellieee0x
you need to copy and paste this is r/6thForm on reddit. trust me there’s sooooo many students on there you’ll get help immediately. i joined reddit when i was in 6th form because i needed help and didn’t realise the thousands of students all from the UK in the same place as me. thank me later

oo thank you i shall do that!
Reply 13
Original post by i25410

for my subjects:

I’m not an A level student but I’m doing the Scottish equivalent and have been predicted AAA my best advice would be to make summary sheets, but in a different way than you might currently be doing. Look at an entire topic, try and remember as much as u can read it out loud, stare at key definitions etc. close all your resources, write down everything you can remember. I do this in black. Take another coloured pen (I use red) and then go back through and write down anything you’ve forgotten. This not only utilises active recall but also shows you very clearly what you do and do not know. Do this for everything, repeat. Do every past paper over and over until you know the questions on reflex. There is a long time until exams you can do it I promise you. Good luck <3
Reply 14
Original post by i25410
prepare yourself for a very long post - i really need help * - i'd like maybe some advice on what i'm doing now and maybe what other people did to get AAA in their exams. it's basically the end of january so let's say i've got 5 months left until my exams in june (im in year 13 at sixth form)

for my subjects:

i don't know what to do ** im definitely revising wrong but i don't know what to do because i feel like it's too late for anything to work

Have you tried talking to your teachers about it? Have you tried tuition? If you can’t try studying with a student that’s good at topics maybe you’re not at? If you think you’re revising wrong have you tried different methods? Also if you can’t make flashcards try looking up notes on TikTok, a level stem students always share on there, it’s actually really useful and bought my grades up really high. Also, you should definitely make time for past papers, they’re extremely helpful and get you more used to exam style questions, before my mocks I went through past papers and did well because a lot of the questions were really similar to each other!!
Original post by aaminah789

I am in Year 12 doing Alevel Biology Chemistry & psychology hust scraped a c on all 3. Any chance you can tell me where i can get flash cards/notes from previous Alevel students. Im struggling alot so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
you’ve definitely got time to improve so don’t worry!! if you’re looking for a specific topic just look it up on Quizlet and loads will come up. also have a look on TikTok, just search it and loads will come up :smile:
Original post by aalimk
Original post by aaminah789

you’ve definitely got time to improve so don’t worry!! if you’re looking for a specific topic just look it up on Quizlet and loads will come up. also have a look on TikTok, just search it and loads will come up :smile:

Thankyou ill have a look.
If you come across any can you pm me please
Original post by i25410

for my subjects:

Do exam questions over and over again. I did no revision except 3 months before my a levels and went from an E in chem to a B. I know its not an A but its a drastic improvement. All i did was use the scribble method to memorise booklets, exam questions, and then learn mark scheme language. Its doable. You've still got more months than I did so I think you'll be fine. Obvs don't overload urself with revision, but I genuinely think you'll smash it!!! Good luck.
Reply 18
Original post by AspiringSurvivor

Good luck!! 🙂

hi , im in year 12, and i was wondering if you could give tips for chem, ( im doing bio,chem,psych too). I dont know how to get my mind around the different chem topics, and when i do , i cant understand exam questions , regardless of videos i watch , i have mocks in less than 2 months, and i really need to somehow raise my grade., tysm
Original post by ambrxxn1
hi , im in year 12, and i was wondering if you could give tips for chem, ( im doing bio,chem,psych too). I dont know how to get my mind around the different chem topics, and when i do , i cant understand exam questions , regardless of videos i watch , i have mocks in less than 2 months, and i really need to somehow raise my grade., tysm

ik u didn’t reply to mine but I thought i’d offer some help!
when learning practicals/processes, eg. Titration. make sure you understand why you’re using a certain method or a specific substance. eg. is a certain substance acting as a drying agent, or a catalyst? these questions are the little one markers where it’s so easy to lose marks!
also, make sure you’re super confident on amount of substance and atomic structure questions - you apply those questions to everything!
have a solid understanding of mechanisms!! they’re so so important and so many marks!
if you feel like you’re not improving and if youre able to, maybe try a tutor? there’s no shame in it and it can really help you improve :smile:
hope this was helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest