The Student Room Group

I did A level biology, psychology and Business, ask me anything!

Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what did you get for business ?
Reply 2
Original post by sab3rrr
what did you get for business ?

A:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by miamcniven

how did you revise for business
Reply 4
Original post by sab3rrr

how did you revise for business

it sounds cliche but i watched a lot of Takingthebiz videos on youtube, not sure if you’ve heard of him!! I also printed out a checklist of all the units and would colour coordinate them of red, orange, and green to know which units i’m struggling with so i can focus more on them. i hope this helps! Anymore questions let me know
Reply 5
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)

What did you get for Pyschology and how did you revise for it?
Reply 6
Original post by idklol1
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)

I got an A*, for me the best way to revise was either using a big A3 sheet and writing topics down, such as nature vs nurture or conformity, then underneath highlighting the main points of supporting case studies, strengths and weaknesses of the studies, and then overall strengths and weaknesses of the topic as a whole. I made sure to pick case studies that were easy to remember. I also used flash cards to condense the information even further, i’d have the main topic on the front with important points and then the evaluations on the back. Remembering case studies is so important, especially when you get to the 16 marker at the end of the exam because you can really expand on the evaluations. I hope this helps! Anymore questions let me know!
Reply 7

I got an A*, for me the best way to revise was either using a big A3 sheet and writing topics down, such as nature vs nurture or conformity, then underneath highlighting the main points of supporting case studies, strengths and weaknesses of the studies, and then overall strengths and weaknesses of the topic as a whole. I made sure to pick case studies that were easy to remember. I also used flash cards to condense the information even further, i’d have the main topic on the front with important points and then the evaluations on the back. Remembering case studies is so important, especially when you get to the 16 marker at the end of the exam because you can really expand on the evaluations. I hope this helps! Anymore questions let me know!
Thank you so much. In terms of the 16 markers, I'm consistently getting 11 out of 16 with the lowest marks on A03. How did you structure your 16 markers, both the ones with and without an item?
Reply 8
Original post by idklol1

Thank you so much. In terms of the 16 markers, I'm consistently getting 11 out of 16 with the lowest marks on A03. How did you structure your 16 markers, both the ones with and without an item?

I always used to start by defining whatever the topic was on, making sure to show a solid understanding of the topic before discussing case studies or evaluations. Make sure to add as much information as you can to pick up those extra points and allow yourself extra time on the 16 markers. For me i found it easiest to start with the 16 markers so i knew i had enough time to write everything down that i wanted. They will never take marks away for adding too much information. I’d then go in detail about the case studies, linking back to what I discussed before and then evaluating if this case study is reliable enough to support the theory. I would then add another case study if I had 2 prepared just to add more points and evaluation. At the end make sure you have a solid overall evaluation, making sure to include whether your chosen case studies are strong enough to support the theory, and always include nature vs nurture, deterministic vs free will and any of those evaluation points. I always found that including those in my evaluation was very helpful. It took me a lot of practice papers to improve my 16 markers and I would send them to my teacher to mark so she could give me feedback of what I was missing. Do you have a solid set of case studies for each topic or do you need some help with those too? I think the case studies are very important. For 16 markers with the item you should do the same as above but obviously make sure to refer back to the item and use quotes when necessary to show the link between the item and your answer. I hope this was helpful !!
Reply 9

I always used to start by defining whatever the topic was on, making sure to show a solid understanding of the topic before discussing case studies or evaluations. Make sure to add as much information as you can to pick up those extra points and allow yourself extra time on the 16 markers. For me i found it easiest to start with the 16 markers so i knew i had enough time to write everything down that i wanted. They will never take marks away for adding too much information. I’d then go in detail about the case studies, linking back to what I discussed before and then evaluating if this case study is reliable enough to support the theory. I would then add another case study if I had 2 prepared just to add more points and evaluation. At the end make sure you have a solid overall evaluation, making sure to include whether your chosen case studies are strong enough to support the theory, and always include nature vs nurture, deterministic vs free will and any of those evaluation points. I always found that including those in my evaluation was very helpful. It took me a lot of practice papers to improve my 16 markers and I would send them to my teacher to mark so she could give me feedback of what I was missing. Do you have a solid set of case studies for each topic or do you need some help with those too? I think the case studies are very important. For 16 markers with the item you should do the same as above but obviously make sure to refer back to the item and use quotes when necessary to show the link between the item and your answer. I hope this was helpful !!
I have my mocks this week, so I'll try using that 16m format. Thank you so much!
Reply 10
As an independent candidate resitting business how do you think the best way for me to revise is and did you buy any resources such as the 'Takingthebiz" A level smash packs, do you think it would be worth it. And how did you approach long answer questions. Sorry for asking so much but how did you spend the last few months approaching the exams?
Reply 11
What didyou get in biology and what isa good way to revise for it, any tips?
Reply 12
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)
Hi, my exams are so close but i havent started revising yet for psychology :frown: i am aiming to achieve an A* but theres only just under 3 months left until exams and im not sure how to achieve this. could you please give me some tips on how i can still achieve an A* and if its still even possible?
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)
I am not really doing well in business, i know the points to detail, but once its time to write anxiety kicks in and everything gets wired up in my head, and i am also very terrible at time management.
Reply 14
Original post by m_1x
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)
Hi, my exams are so close but i havent started revising yet for psychology :frown: i am aiming to achieve an A* but theres only just under 3 months left until exams and im not sure how to achieve this. could you please give me some tips on how i can still achieve an A* and if its still even possible?

Hiya!! someone asked how i revised for psychology on this post already so have a look at my response and see if it helps!! if not please feel free to ask me any more questions :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by dahoodie15
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)
I am not really doing well in business, i know the points to detail, but once its time to write anxiety kicks in and everything gets wired up in my head, and i am also very terrible at time management.

I’m really sorry you seem to be struggling with your anxiety in exams. Personally for me I would flip to the longer pages and answer them first, i liked to underline the main points and jot down anything relevant i wanted to write about and let it flow from there making sure to refer back to my points. i’m sorry i can’t be much help but i hope this was at least slightly helpful!
Reply 16
Original post by panda41
As an independent candidate resitting business how do you think the best way for me to revise is and did you buy any resources such as the 'Takingthebiz" A level smash packs, do you think it would be worth it. And how did you approach long answer questions. Sorry for asking so much but how did you spend the last few months approaching the exams?

I watched the TakingTheBiz youtube videos and made flash cards from those. I didn’t purchase anything other than the AQA business book but honestly I didn’t even use it. For the longer questions i’d make sure to make my statement and define what the question is asking me and then evaluate further to pick up more marks
Reply 17
Original post by enaiiii
What didyou get in biology and what isa good way to revise for it, any tips?

I got an A. For diagrams such as for respiration (glycolysis, krebs cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation) i would try to rewrite this process from memory over and over again until i got it right, same goes for photosynthesis and the other units that involve diagrams (EG; sliding filament theory), memorising the diagrams helped me remember the processes and then write about it when answering the questions. For other units such as communicable and non communicable diseases i would condense in flash cards so i would know the basic knowledge. I also did lots of practice papers as the questions in the papers are very different to what you actually learn and I found even though I had all the knowledge i struggled to answer the questions as they are sometimes misleading and complex. After doing lots of practice papers i managed to get the gist of what each question was asking me to answer. I hope this helped!! feel free to ask anymore questions
Reply 18
Original post by m_1x
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)

Hiya!! someone asked how i revised for psychology on this post already so have a look at my response and see if it helps!! if not please feel free to ask me any more questions :smile:

Oh okay :smile: also when did you start revising for psychology? I’m struggling to come up with a plan to follow like how much to do a day etc. I have just under 3 months until the first exam and I’m not sure how much time I should spend learning content + exam practice
Reply 19
Original post by m_1x
Original post by m_1x
Biology (edexcel)
Psychology (AQA)
Business (AQA)

Oh okay :smile: also when did you start revising for psychology? I’m struggling to come up with a plan to follow like how much to do a day etc. I have just under 3 months until the first exam and I’m not sure how much time I should spend learning content + exam practice

Tbh i’m a massive weirdo and i started revising from my very first day of sixthform but honestly that was not necessary at all!! I’d say you’ve got enough time in 3 months if you really work hard. I used my free periods for revision and would revise for that whole hour and take a break for my lunch time to not burn myself out. I made a timetable for revision that I tried to stick to, but remember if you’re not in the mindset to revise you most likely won’t take it all in. I did half an hour at a time with frequent breaks, but remember to keep in mind your other subjects too. I revised psychology less because it was the subject i struggled with the least but if this isn’t the case for you, make sure to equally divide your revision for each subject. Work on the units you find most difficult first, but make sure to still go over the subjects you find easy to make sure they’re fresh in your head. I watched psychology videos on youtube to get a better understanding, i don’t remember the name of the account but i’ll have a look and get back to you. Make sure to practice the 16 markers too!! I also made sure to prioritise knowing the case studies for each topic as it helps with evaluation, and building on my knowledge of the other evaluation points (nature vs nurture, free will vs deterministic etc..) i hope this helps but if you need any more help let me know!!

Quick Reply

Latest