The Student Room Group

Summer Pool

OK, so I didn't get in to Sidney for Law, having missed out on my AAAB offer and gotten a C in History :mad:

I've been placed in the pool and the Admissions Tutor kept saying how much they liked my application, yet were unable to give me a place due to being over subscribed. Realistically speaking, does anyone know what my chances are of getting a place from the pool when I screwed up so badly with my History grade, given the inevitable high standard of fellow law applicants?

To be honest, I'm absolutely gutted at the moment :frown:
Reply 1
50/50 is the figure that is being bandied around for the summer pool and they certianly wouldn't have put you in if they didn't think you might get fished. I'm presuming you got AAAC? Remember a lot of colleges only make AAA offers so might be rejecting people who missed with AAB whilst you have met their conditions.
Theres no way of telling though, you have no idea who else has ended up i ntbe pool, how subscribed other colleges are :-(
I got picked in the summer pool last year.... but consider yourself lucky i got my Ib results beginning of July, was put in the pool then and had to wait tilll August 18th to know i'd been picked out of the pool... anywya i know how awful it is to wait and law is very competitive... but there is not much to do... i had so much time i wrote them a letter explaining what had happened... they put it in my file in the pool but i dont think thye looked at it much... tbh appart from trying to keep yourself busy and wait till they contact you, there is not much you cna do.... but just so you know, evne if you feel like jumping form a bridge now, eventually you'll realise that you'd be happy anywhere and that uni is what you make of it! Good luck :wink:
A student at my college missed a grade in History. He was denied a place at the time. However, my History teacher got a remark of his exam scripts and he went up a grade. He wasn't able to start in the year that he wanted to so he took a gap year and was admitted this year.
So, my advice would be to get an accelerated re-mark, particularly if your UMS mark is lacking by a few. Good luck.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/summerpool.doc

Everything you will ever need about summer pool.

And it seems UCAS have stopped updating stuff since noon so i think we'll have to wait to tomoroow
Just thought I'd say good luck to everyone who missed their offers. And remember, you've done very well to come this far.
Reply 6
swntzu
Just thought I'd say good luck to everyone who missed their offers. And remember, you've done very well to come this far.

:ditto:
Best best best of luck!!
Reply 7
Well as a follow-up to this thread, I'm afraid I did not get fished, as I expected. I am completely numb at the moment and although I have a place at Exeter, I'm considering re-applying for next year. Does anyone know what my chances of an unconditional offer might be for Law with AAAC grades in German, French, Politics and History respectively and a Merit in German AEA?
Reply 8
I wasn't fished out of the pool last year - they rung up to say when I was on holiday a week after the results came out! Anyway - Exeter's a pretty damn good uni (it's Bristol's local rival so I'm not saying it's great :p: ) and you'll get almost as prestigious degree from there as Cambridge... you just won't have to work as hard. Also - Exeter has the most active of old-boys networks outside Oxbridge, so you won't have any trouble getting a job.
Reply 9
Hello.
How is everyone finding out about their success in the Summer pool this year?
I've been pooled for maths and been trying to pester the University admissions office by phone but there has been no answer. :frown:
History is seen as a particularly attractive A-Level to law admissions tutors due to the memorising and arguing skills needed.

Just my thoughts...

Good luck everyone! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending