The Student Room Group

Getting pooled to a different college

Did anybody else get picked from the pool by a college different to the one they applied to?

I'm really psyched that I got an offer - I never thought they'd even consider me after I botched my interview - and I feel bad about whining, but I'm a little bit uneasy about having been pooled to a college that I'm not a huge fan of. I wasn't invited to a second interview or anything, I just received an offer yesterday from Murray Edwards which stated that Queens' had put me into the Winter Pool. Slightly gutted - I loved Queens' and Medwards is so different to what I'd wanted!!

Oh well, I guess it's modern all-girls accommodation for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by delusion_al
Did anybody else get picked from the pool by a college different to the one they applied to?

I'm really psyched that I got an offer - I never thought they'd even consider me after I botched my interview - and I feel bad about whining, but I'm a little bit uneasy about having been pooled to a college that I'm not a huge fan of. I wasn't invited to a second interview or anything, I just received an offer yesterday from Murray Edwards which stated that Queens' had put me into the Winter Pool. Slightly gutted - I loved Queens' and Medwards is so different to what I'd wanted!!

Congratulations on your offer. Very few poolees need a 2nd interview so well done for avoiding that :smile:

Medwards has an Offer Holder Day - I strongly recommend going along :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Congratulations on your offer. Very few poolees need a 2nd interview so well done for avoiding that :smile:

Medwards has an Offer Holder Day - I strongly recommend going along :smile:

I'm really looking forward to going! Loads of undergrads say it changed their perceptions of what the college was like - I hope it works for me!!

I'm so glad they didn't invite me to another interview, I don't think I could've handled going through that again.
Medwards

is nothing like as good as "Hurry Bedwards".
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
is nothing like as good as "Hurry Bedwards".

I've never heard that one oml😂

Over many many years, I've met many people who were pooled to a college which they didn't even consider when applying, and I have never met anyone who were unhappy with their college. In fact all of them say they were glad they had been pooled.
Almost everyone at Cambridge, including the people who were pooled, thinks their college is the best, no matter what, and that's the magic of Cambridge colleges.

Every year some candidates in this forum ask a question like yours, especially the ones who were pooled to a female college. As far as I remember and I know from their posts after they accepted their offer, they are all happy where they are. :smile:

So, congratulations!
You should grab the chance if you want to read your favourite subject at Cambridge!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by vincrows
Over many many years, I've met many people who were pooled to a college which they didn't even consider when applying, and I have never met anyone who were unhappy with their college. In fact all of them say they were glad they had been pooled.
Almost everyone at Cambridge, including the people who were pooled, thinks their college is the best, no matter what, and that's the magic of Cambridge colleges.

Every year some candidates in this forum ask a question like yours, especially the ones who were pooled to a female college. As far as I remember and I know from their posts after they accepted their offer, they are all happy where they are. :smile:

So, congratulations!
You should grab the chance if you want to read your favourite subject at Cambridge!

That's helpful to hear, thank you!! I don't really mind the fact that it's all girls, it's not like my lectures won't be mixed anyway. I know it's superficial but I think it's the architecture that bothers me most. I'm not averse to staying in a modern college - I really really liked Robinson when I visited on the Open Day - it's just a lot of the hill colleges struck me as being quite...unappealing aesthetically? It's a very daft thing to get wound up about isn't it😂

I hope I do find it as great as all the other undergrads, and hopefully the external appearance won't bother me too much.
That's helpful to hear, thank you!! I don't really mind the fact that it's all girls, it's not like my lectures won't be mixed anyway. I know it's superficial but I think it's the architecture that bothers me most. I'm not averse to staying in a modern college - I really really liked Robinson when I visited on the Open Day - it's just a lot of the hill colleges struck me as being quite...unappealing aesthetically? It's a very daft thing to get wound up about isn't it😂

I hope I do find it as great as all the other undergrads, and hopefully the external appearance won't bother me too much.

Well, many old colleges with gloriously beautiful buildings also have one or two (or more sometimes) ugly buildings as their accommodation that was built in '70s or later to cope with a rapid and huge increase of students. It's very likely you'll be living in one if them at some stage during your course. Many applicants don't know this because colleges are good at marketing.
Also, I know inside of some colleges' beautiful buildings are not as wonderful as outside, at all. some definitely had its days......

I can honestly tell you the aesthetic of college buildings is the last thing you'll worry and mind about once you start there. :wink:

Never been inside Medwards, but their facility seems to be quite good according to some Medwards students in this forum.

Edit:
If this makes you less unhappy about not going to queens, one of their modern accomm building, called Cripps, is often regarded as THE ugliest accomm building at Cambridge. :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Well, many old colleges with gloriously beautiful buildings also have one or two (or more sometimes) ugly buildings as their accommodation that was built in '70s or later to cope with a rapid and huge increase of students. It's very likely you'll be living in one if them at some stage during your course. Many applicants don't know this because colleges are good at marketing.
Also, I know inside of some colleges' beautiful buildings are not as wonderful as outside, at all. some definitely had its days......

I can honestly tell you the aesthetic of college buildings is the last thing you'll worry and mind about once you start there. :wink:

Never been inside Medwards, but their facility seems to be quite good according to some Medwards students in this forum.

Edit:
If this makes you less unhappy about not going to queens, one of their modern accomm building, called Cripps, is often regarded as THE ugliest accomm building at Cambridge. :wink:

Spoiler

I found that with King's!!! It looks so grand from the outside but I was slightly underwhelmed by the accommodation. It was still nice though! I'm sure Medwards is fine really, I'll be happy wherever I go. Just so happens that it was at the bottom of my radar - then again, I can't be prejudiced, I've never actually visited the college or been inside. I'm just presuming I don't like it based on pictures and the like.

That's funny, I stayed in the Cripps court when I was there for my interview and I didn't find it that bad. I guess I was just enamoured with the Old Court and the conveyer belt in the dining hall. Nice, it's like he was an accommodation Beta tester😂
I found that with King's!!! It looks so grand from the outside but I was slightly underwhelmed by the accommodation. It was still nice though! I'm sure Medwards is fine really, I'll be happy wherever I go. Just so happens that it was at the bottom of my radar - then again, I can't be prejudiced, I've never actually visited the college or been inside. I'm just presuming I don't like it based on pictures and the like.

That's funny, I stayed in the Cripps court when I was there for my interview and I didn't find it that bad. I guess I was just enamoured with the Old Court and the conveyer belt in the dining hall. Nice, it's like he was an accommodation Beta tester😂

Well, king's is not the only one like that. :wink:

Don't know how the inside of Cripps is like these days but if I remember correctly, they've done a major refurbishment work a few years ago, so it may not be too bad inside now.
And the same can be true with other "ugly' buildings. The inside may not be as ugly as it looks outside as all colleges try to improve/refurbish their accommodation when they can.
Don't judge a book by its cover. :wink:

same situation for me, I applied to St John's as I love having a lot of people in a big college and co-ed, but I was pooled to Newnham. I don't know what I'm going to do because all girls accommodation puts me off so much as I've been in it before and disliked it every time :') but it's obviously hard because it's still an offer from Cambridge!
Well, king's is not the only one like that. :wink:

Don't know how the inside of Cripps is like these days but if I remember correctly, they've done a major refurbishment work a few years ago, so it may not be too bad inside now.
And the same can be true with other "ugly' buildings. The inside may not be as ugly as it looks outside as all colleges try to improve/refurbish their accommodation when they can.
Don't judge a book by its cover. :wink:

I've been told by a friend who got interviewed at Medwards (and was sadly rejected) that the interior is very pretty as are the gardens. I just hope that the Offer Holder Day changes my perspective in March.

Original post by kristinrooney
same situation for me, I applied to St John's as I love having a lot of people in a big college and co-ed, but I was pooled to Newnham. I don't know what I'm going to do because all girls accommodation puts me off so much as I've been in it before and disliked it every time :':wink: but it's obviously hard because it's still an offer from Cambridge!

Aaah that sucks, but at least you won't have to put up with the "I'd rather be at Oxford than St. John's" malarcky if that's still going on. Newnham looks very pretty though, I'd like to go there over Medwards because it's right next to the Sidgwick Site😂 The other girls might be in the same position as us after all so hopefully we'll be able to gel with them well.

Ahh, hello there lovely! Firstly, congratulations on the offer, you're now officially a Cambridge Offer Holder!

I got pooled to an all girls college too (Newnham) with a completely different vibe to my first choice, but I've done a ton of research and found that it actually suits me more than my first choice!

If they do an offer day, I'd 100% recommend going in order to get a feel of the place, and it might actually be what you're looking for :smile:

It might be a case of finding out more about the little things: Newnham lets you have a lil fridge in your room which makes me so happy!! There'll probably be some small differences and things Medwards has which Queens never did, I guess?

Well done though :smile:
Original post by blue2337
Ahh, hello there lovely! Firstly, congratulations on the offer, you're now officially a Cambridge Offer Holder!

I got pooled to an all girls college too (Newnham) with a completely different vibe to my first choice, but I've done a ton of research and found that it actually suits me more than my first choice!

If they do an offer day, I'd 100% recommend going in order to get a feel of the place, and it might actually be what you're looking for :smile:

It might be a case of finding out more about the little things: Newnham lets you have a lil fridge in your room which makes me so happy!! There'll probably be some small differences and things Medwards has which Queens never did, I guess?

Well done though :smile:

Thanks, my dad reckons that Medwards might be better for me because it's quite relaxed and quirky - a bit like me I suppose.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Open Day, I should receive a letter with the details at some point this week.

Medwards does have this nifty Gateway Programme which pretty much guarantees internships and funding for various subject-related trips. I do like the look of that to be honest, it seems very helpful and inclusive. 😊
Hey, how did it turn out?
Hey, how did it turn out?
Thanks, my dad reckons that Medwards might be better for me because it's quite relaxed and quirky - a bit like me I suppose.

Original post by username2015015

Does how well you fit the vibe of the college affect your chances of an offer?
Original post by penguingirl18
Does how well you fit the vibe of the college affect your chances of an offer?

As this thread is 5 years old, it might not be the best place to ask.

But no, we don't take that into account. Colleges sometimes get reputations, but don't forget that the undergraduate cohort which will have been at Medwards 5 years ago will all have graduated (or be in their final year of clinical Medicine) by now. Sometimes we all forget just how quickly student populations change!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
As this thread is 5 years old, it might not be the best place to ask.

But no, we don't take that into account. Colleges sometimes get reputations, but don't forget that the undergraduate cohort which will have been at Medwards 5 years ago will all have graduated (or be in their final year of clinical Medicine) by now. Sometimes we all forget just how quickly student populations change!

Hi,
Please can you explain what the summer pool is?
Original post by Anonymous12387
Hi,
Please can you explain what the summer pool is?

Hi there!

The Summer Pool is for students who were made an offer, missed their offer but are still thought to be worth the consideration of other colleges. Not every offer holder who misses their offer gets put in the Summer Pool - it's usually only those who have narrowly missed.

The Summer Pool is different to the August Reconsideration Pool, which is for students who were not made an offer in January but meet various Widening Participation criteria and achieved at least the typical offer for their course in their A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending