The Student Room Group

Suggested A levels for Cambridge cs?

When I was looking at the entry requirements page for Cambridge’s cs course I saw that most successful applicants took physics (85%) and computing (59%) is taking these subjects giving you an extra boost into getting in? Or is it just coincidental and that’d you’d have an equal chance with math fm and other sciences?
Physics is likely just coincidental. Computer Science may be useful, especially if your school offers it, but is not required for admission.
Reply 2
what is the admissions test next cycle for cs as the tmua website says they aren't doing it anymore.
Reply 3
Original post by MrMudaly
what is the admissions test next cycle for cs as the tmua website says they aren't doing it anymore.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/news/new-admissions-tests-for-2024
New Test news above.
I suggest taking CS and maths at least and further maths will make you more competitive, then pick whatever you want. Physics is a good one
Reply 5
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
When I was looking at the entry requirements page for Cambridge’s cs course I saw that most successful applicants took physics (85%) and computing (59%) is taking these subjects giving you an extra boost into getting in? Or is it just coincidental and that’d you’d have an equal chance with math fm and other sciences?
Historically physics was a requirement for Cambridge CS which maybe the reason it remains a popular choice with candidates.
Original post by Scotney
Historically physics was a requirement for Cambridge CS which maybe the reason it remains a popular choice with candidates.

alright cause i was planning to have maths and further maths since it seems most students have that, but i was worried not having physics or cs would put me at a disadvantage.
Original post by Anonymous
I suggest taking CS and maths at least and further maths will make you more competitive, then pick whatever you want. Physics is a good one

isn't fm more important than cs in admissions? i was planning on maths further maths biology and chemistry, so if my heart changes i could go down medicine
Original post by melancollege
Physics is likely just coincidental. Computer Science may be useful, especially if your school offers it, but is not required for admission.

yeah ig, but would not taking physics or cs put you at a disadvantage from being accepted? [despite taking maths and fm]
Reply 9
yeah ig, but would not taking physics or cs put you at a disadvantage from being accepted? [despite taking maths and fm]
Hi I think the best thing for you to do is ask your question to Cambridge directly.Contact details are at bottom of link below.It seems to recommend you contact your college/colleges you are interested in directly.
https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/admissions
It does seem as if Physics for this particular course may be desirable but email them and ask.Alternatively if this is the case have you considered Oxford instead who have no such desire for Physics.
Original post by Scotney
Hi I think the best thing for you to do is ask your question to Cambridge directly.Contact details are at bottom of link below.It seems to recommend you contact your college/colleges you are interested in directly.
https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/admissions
It does seem as if Physics for this particular course may be desirable but email them and ask.Alternatively if this is the case have you considered Oxford instead who have no such desire for Physics.

i suppose it would be best for me to consider oxford over cambridge since there isn't any importance in physics, idk why i've always seemed fond of cambridge.
i suppose it would be best for me to consider oxford over cambridge since there isn't any importance in physics, idk why i've always seemed fond of cambridge.

Have you been to visit either of them?Really looks like Oxford might be a better fit purely because of course as well as entry requirements.Look at the course modules and see what you think.If you think the course at Cambridge suits you better then fire off that email but it probably doesn't.
Oxford is amazing btw imo!
Original post by Scotney
Have you been to visit either of them?Really looks like Oxford might be a better fit purely because of course as well as entry requirements.Look at the course modules and see what you think.If you think the course at Cambridge suits you better then fire off that email but it probably doesn't.
Oxford is amazing btw imo!

Only cambridge's department of engineering, for a robotics competition. Haven't stepped foot in Oxford, yet. I've heard from a cambridge student that cambridge was more multicultural than oxford, although I'm not sure if that's true.
Original post by arytempor
Also considering cam cs or maths
Taking 12 GCSES - in my mocks had a 9 in everything but english where i got an 8
is it achievable to get into cam with these grades. Considering maths fm compsci physics for alevel

Yes no problem at all.Why would there be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending