The Student Room Group

Is it socially acceptable to be right wing in the UK?

Especially among young people? For example if someone at university said they were a Tory would they be looked down on for it?

I am from Sweden which is very liberal, however I am wondering if the UK, being more conservative than us, is more accepting of right wingers. I heard that young people in the UK are mostly left wing though

Scroll to see replies

Well if you hung out with the rich kids then it'd be socially unacceptable to be Labour or any non tory supporter tbf.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Well if you hung out with the rich kids then it'd be socially unacceptable to be Labour tbf.

I thought a lot of the richer middle class people (not so much upper class?) voted Labour :redface: I heard even Corbyn was quite well off :tongue:
i find it's ok in coffee shops or cereal cafes. But like council estates, run down areas or "community" anything. Not so much.
Original post by Bill_Gates
i find it's ok in coffee shops or cereal cafes. But like council estates, run down areas or "community" anything. Not so much.

I thought British middle class hipsters were pretty left wing? In Sweden they do things like protest for vegetarian rights haha
Original post by SwedishRedhead
I thought a lot of the richer middle class people (not so much upper class?) voted Labour :redface: I heard even Corbyn was quite well off :tongue:

Theres a strong correlation between tweed jackets with leather elbow pads and tory support among students I've personally found.
Theres a strong correlation between tweed jackets with leather elbow pads and tory support among students I've personally found.

Are there a lot of "rich/posh" students in the UK? Are you at Oxbridge if you don't mind me asking lol? :tongue:

Certain professions like doctors, charity workers etc. in the UK seem very left wing, some of those are well paid idk
Are there a lot of "rich/posh" students in the UK? Are you at Oxbridge if you don't mind me asking lol? :tongue:

Certain professions like doctors, charity workers etc. in the UK seem very left wing, some of those are well paid idk

Nah I have some friends who study medicine in Bristol and have been to a few of their house parties. There's alot of those types there lol. They sort of stand around chortling talking about how much better their subject is than everyone else's whilst sipping absinthe lmao. Basically TSRians in real life. And this forum is quite right wing tbh so there you go lol.

I study hipster stuff in Hertfordshire. Game art.
Nah I have some friends who study medicine in Bristol and have been to a few of their house parties. There's alot of those types there lol. They sort of stand around chortling talking about how much better their subject is than everyone else's whilst sipping absinthe lmao. Basically TSRians in real life. And this forum is quite right wing tbh so there you go lol.

I study hipster stuff in Hertfordshire. Game art.

I thought Bristol was left wing, guess I am wrong :redface: Which are the more left/right wing UK universities then? Are the London ones more left wing?

TSRians in real life just sound like neckbeards tbh :rofl:

Oh Hertfordshire is quite a "posh" place isn't it? Surely your course would be full of hipster/indie type who are left wing though?
I thought Bristol was left wing, guess I am wrong :redface: Which are the more left/right wing UK universities then? Are the London ones more left wing?

TSRians in real life just sound like neckbeards tbh :rofl:

Oh Hertfordshire is quite a "posh" place isn't it? Surely your course would be full of hipster/indie type who are left wing though?

lol tbh theres a mix of people at every university. Hertfordshire isn't posh haha.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Medical students tend to be on the left of the political spectrum in my experience. The vast majority tend not to be arrogant.I wouldn't call TSR right wing. It's far from it.

The chortling students weren't doing medicine though. Just some other STEM subjects.
Medical students tend to be on the left of the political spectrum in my experience. The vast majority tend not to be arrogant.
I wouldn't call TSR right wing. It's far from it.

Yeah, isn't the Tory party trying to privatise the NHS now?

Medical students in Sweden don't seem arrogant, but a lot of the British ones I have met are (no offence..)

The Tories gained a plurality in every employed income group in 2010 but lost the C2 vote to Labour in 2015 such that they only have a plurality with those earning £20k and above now.

The middle class (home owners) are the Tory vote. If only homeowners had voted in 2015 the Tories would have a 100+ majority.

Yeah, isn't the Tory party trying to privatise the NHS now?

Medical students in Sweden don't seem arrogant, but a lot of the British ones I have met are (no offence..)

No, that's a myth.
You've met the wrong type. We're actually not too bad :colondollar:

EDIT: Regarding that, he is allowing NHS patients to be treated by the private sector if they provide better services. Not exactly privatising but people despise the word "private" when it comes to health.

Haha I hope so, have not applied to uni yet and a lot of the ones I know were rubbishing my degree choices :tongue:

I thought most medical students/doctors disliked him because of the junior doctor contract, longer hours etc.? :redface:
Original post by Rakas21
The Tories gained a plurality in every employed income group in 2010 but lost the C2 vote to Labour in 2015 such that they only have a plurality with those earning £20k and above now.

The middle class (home owners) are the Tory vote. If only homeowners had voted in 2015 the Tories would have a 100+ majority.

No, that's a myth.

Well I have a lot of UK medical students/doctors on FB etc. and even on the news you hear about how the Tories are "destroying the NHS" with longer junior doctor contracts etc. I might do a thread, am not too familiar with Uk politics
Well if you hung out with the rich kids then it'd be socially unacceptable to be Labour or any non tory supporter tbf.

unless they are the artsy types
Most do, and there is this big fiasco currently going on regarding this. Yet they are trying to explain themselves as to why they've reached certain decisions as "they had to be made to create a modern 24 hour NHS".

"We are not amused, cameron"- tends to be the common mantra amongst students.

They'd be pretty stupid to support the conservative party being a uni student. Kind of like slapping yourself.

However, SE England is very mixed. I'm from London so it's half and half. They are still loathed though, no doubt.
Original post by Moksha2193555
They'd be pretty stupid to support the conservative party being a uni student. Kind of like slapping yourself.

However, SE England is very mixed. I'm from London so it's half and half. They are still loathed though, no doubt.

Because of tuition fees? :smile:

By loathed do you mean loathed by younger people mostly? (The Tories did win the election though lots didn't turn out)
Well I have a lot of UK medical students/doctors on FB etc. and even on the news you hear about how the Tories are "destroying the NHS" with longer junior doctor contracts etc. I might do a thread, am not too familiar with Uk politics

People always whine at change, its in the interest of doctors and teachers to do so. But most people don't believe it. Spinning change as Destroying the NHS is just propaganda.

Polls suggest that about 40% of people trust Labour most with the NHS, about 30% the Tories.
Especially among young people? For example if someone at university said they were a Tory would they be looked down on for it?

I am from Sweden which is very liberal, however I am wondering if the UK, being more conservative than us, is more accepting of right wingers. I heard that young people in the UK are mostly left wing though

We are a more tolerant nation than Sweden on these matters, it is perfectly acceptable to hold right wing views in the UK. So long as you are not a total ideologue or extremist who tries to shove your politics down everybody's throats all the time, nobody really cares what political views you hold.

This tolerance does not neccessarily extend to our universities, but they can go **** themselves, university has become a joke anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending