The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Just how bad are SOAS protests and strikes? Did it affect you?

I've received an offer from SOAS for IR and everything about the uni is very appealing to me, except one thing. I know all unis tend to have a left wing student union who love to protest. But SOAS students appear to be more extreme in that regard. Occupying buildings isn't something I've heard of happening anywhere else.
Of course, I wouldn't care if it didn't have an impact on my education. So my question to current and former SOAS students is, has a SOAS protest ever significantly affected your education? And considering that, would you recommend going to SOAS?
(I'm aware that a similar post asking a similar question was made about 6 years ago, but that was prior to covid and the building occupations last year)
I was at SOAS almost 4 years ago, right before COVID and I would say that my studies were impacted as the buildings were occupied and we weren't allowed to visit the library. Many of our classes were either stalled or we had to go to the professors' house to complete the syllabus. The strikes continued for more than one semester. Initially it was all okay as I found the reasons for the protest to be legitimate but it got to a point where my studies were really hampered. And I found the administration to be zero helpful. As an international fee paying student, it was hard to see my money going waste. Have things post COVID or in the past one year? I really have no idea. I hope other SOASians see this post and respond.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by UVX
I've received an offer from SOAS for IR and everything about the uni is very appealing to me, except one thing. I know all unis tend to have a left wing student union who love to protest. But SOAS students appear to be more extreme in that regard. Occupying buildings isn't something I've heard of happening anywhere else.
Of course, I wouldn't care if it didn't have an impact on my education. So my question to current and former SOAS students is, has a SOAS protest ever significantly affected your education? And considering that, would you recommend going to SOAS?
(I'm aware that a similar post asking a similar question was made about 6 years ago, but that was prior to covid and the building occupations last year)

Occupying buildings happens all the time at other unis. It used to happen on nearly a yearly basis in Cambridge when I was working there. The Cambridge protestors also caused criminal damage to buildings on more than one occasion (one time they threw a brick through a lecture theatre window while a lecture was ongoing). So you should dispel any assumptions that protesting is "unique" to SOAS, some symptom of being "overly" left wing there, or that it's worse there than at other unis.

Also striking is very different to protesting and usually wholly unrelated. All unis (and indeed, most public services) have had strikes recently, and will continue having them until the incompetent Tory government is kicked out of Westminster.

In any case, when I was as SOAS I wasn't really affected by the strike action - we missed some timetabled sessions but had no issues with continuing the course, and in the summer before exams my lecturer for the affected module had a couple extra sessions with us on some topics of interest that wouldn't normally be covered in the examinable syllabus, which were great. I was fully in support of the strike action at SOAS as I didn't agree that the lecturers who worked so hard for the students there should have their pensions crippled and effectively made so they can't afford to retire just so some prick at a hedgefund can buy a second superyacht.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Occupying buildings happens all the time at other unis. It used to happen on nearly a yearly basis in Cambridge when I was working there. The Cambridge protestors also caused criminal damage to buildings on more than one occasion (one time they threw a brick through a lecture theatre window while a lecture was ongoing). So you should dispel any assumptions that protesting is "unique" to SOAS, some symptom of being "overly" left wing there, or that it's worse there than at other unis.

Also striking is very different to protesting and usually wholly unrelated. All unis (and indeed, most public services) have had strikes recently, and will continue having them until the incompetent Tory government is kicked out of Westminster.

In any case, when I was as SOAS I wasn't really affected by the strike action - we missed some timetabled sessions but had no issues with continuing the course, and in the summer before exams my lecturer for the affected module had a couple extra sessions with us on some topics of interest that wouldn't normally be covered in the examinable syllabus, which were great. I was fully in support of the strike action at SOAS as I didn't agree that the lecturers who worked so hard for the students there should have their pensions crippled and effectively made so they can't afford to retire just so some prick at a hedgefund can buy a second superyacht.

Building occupations may well have happened at other unis. But they clearly aren't occurring as regularly at some unis like my main alternative, LSE (last one was in 2015). The frequency and severity of these kinds of protests might not be entirely unique to SOAS when you look at all unis across the UK. But among my 5 options SOAS is the worst offender.
However, the whole point of the post was to find out if the protests had any significant effect on students' education, and tbf you did share your experience so thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by UVX
Building occupations may well have happened at other unis. But they clearly aren't occurring as regularly at some unis like my main alternative, LSE (last one was in 2015). The frequency and severity of these kinds of protests might not be entirely unique to SOAS when you look at all unis across the UK. But among my 5 options SOAS is the worst offender.
However, the whole point of the post was to find out if the protests had any significant effect on students' education, and tbf you did share your experience so thanks

LSE has something like 70% international students on visas, who also are paying a lot of money and have less reason to become involved in longer term often (relatively) local political issues. So not a hugely accurate/relevant comparison.

Also you may want to consider that they are common at most unis however at most unis they aren't reported except by local uni papers, and SOAS happens to draw particular attention due to it's perceived "left wing bias" from major right wing leaning publications. You may want to consider the underlying motives of what gets reported and why, and who benefits from that reporting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
LSE has something like 70% international students on visas, who also are paying a lot of money and have less reason to become involved in longer term often (relatively) local political issues. So not a hugely accurate/relevant comparison.

Also you may want to consider that they are common at most unis however at most unis they aren't reported except by local uni papers, and SOAS happens to draw particular attention due to it's perceived "left wing bias" from major right wing leaning publications. You may want to consider the underlying motives of what gets reported and why, and who benefits from that reporting.

Well I followed your advice and looked at the local uni newspaper and...
https://thebeaverlse.co.uk/occupylse-sit-in-on-lse-campus-shows-solidarity-with-ucu/
Fair enough. They did the same thing at LSE just 2 weeks ago.
I guess protests like this really are a UK uni thing rather than a SOAS thing.
Once again, thank you for your reply.
Hello,

I'm currently a student at SOAS and I've been studying here since 2021 just as the pandemic restrictions were being eased slightly. It's important to acknowledge that strikes and student occupations happen across the UK at many universities. In my opinion the spotlight is often shone on SOAS for these kinds of events because its teaching and student body are generally renown for being progressive. For example, we were one of the universities at the beginning of the wave for 'Decolonising the Curriculum'.

Whenever strikes happen at SOAS lecturers really try to find a balance between maintaining students' quality of education and exercising their own right to strike. What I've found is that there are a mix of responses from lecturers. From what I know, at both Undergraduate and postgraduate level a large number (I would say pretty much a majority) still host their lectures and tutorials in some format. Often, they remain in person, sometimes this is on campus, in a local coffee shop or if it's a small tutorial and a nice day we might sit in a local park to discuss the readings. Other lecturers choose to host them live online.

Very few of my lecturers cancelled the lecture outright. Instead, they might have uploaded a recorded lecture, or caught up on classes in another week.

In my personal opinion I think part of studying at SOAS is wanting to create a better future and trying to understand and advocate for the struggles of others both near and far. It's about freedom of expression, tolerance, fairness, responsibility and seeing nuance. All my lecturers - who are also renown researchers, consultants and activists - always took this into account whenever national strike action was happening and used it to create different forms of learning environments and accommodate the needs of their students.

I hope this helps answer your question

- Monica (MA Social Anthropology)
Reply 7
Original post by UVX

Hi!

Currently a student at SOAS since 2022 - just heading into my second year there. It's hard for me to lie and say that classes weren't affected, but I wouldn't necessarily say it affected my education per se. This year, there have been quite a few strikes and such, which rendered us unable to actually get onto campus to take our lectures or tutorials face-to-face. For reference, I study BA Korean at SOAS. None of my Korean professors ever cancelled our lectures or tutorials - these were simply moved online. As for my other modules, they would be recorded. It was a little frustrating and annoying to have to do online lectures and tutorials as a language student because it's a little bit impractical and means you can't actually get proper help from the professor because there are about 20 other students on the webchat, but it was manageable. Not the best, but my professors really tried, and it didn't reduce their efforts to help us.

I'm not sure what it'll be like strike-wise this coming year, but I hope this helps?

Have an awesome day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending