The Student Room Group

Why is there no society/culture/religion dominated by women?

This is something I've been thinking about for a while though not actually researched as that's boring!

There is enough evidence around now which shows as the amount of women in a team increases so does the performance (all other things being equal). Why have they not used this skill to improve their situation?

And no it's not about strength. How many societies are ran by the strongest bloke? The new pope isnt decided by a royal rumble in the Vatican there must be more to it than that.

One possibility is when women have children this becomes their focus but I'm interested in what others think.

Scroll to see replies

In Catholic theology at the very least they use the Bible quotes that support no woman having authority over a man (1 Timothy 2:11-12), nor teaching a man. As well as the argument that Jesus was male and that the priests etc. are representing Jesus when transubstantiation occurs.

I can't be entirely sure about other religious doctrines as I haven't had as much to do with them but I would assume there would be similar teachings - especially because many major religions have holy texts written at a time of male dominance. I can't see that not affecting the vast majority of religions on the planet. As for society, good question, I can't give you an honest answer really. Not one that I can support anyway. Probably a mixture of things. The kids thing is as decent a theory as any - though I suppose the argument then turns to why children remain the domain of women in the 21st century. It's a topic that's never probably going to get a full answer.
I hear it is with Bonobos
Reply 3
Original post by skeptical_john
This is something I've been thinking about for a while though not actually researched as that's boring!

There is enough evidence around now which shows as the amount of women in a team increases so does the performance (all other things being equal). Why have they not used this skill to improve their situation?

And no it's not about strength. How many societies are ran by the strongest bloke? The new pope isnt decided by a royal rumble in the Vatican there must be more to it than that.

One possibility is when women have children this becomes their focus but I'm interested in what others think.

This is what a society dominated by women looks like:

Not even kidding.
Reply 4
Because women want equality with men instead of wanting to be superior.
That shows a lack of ambition and that is why men are always better.
Reply 5
There is:
It's called the Western World.
Reply 6
lol at this guy ^
Original post by skeptical_john

What evidence?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/19/problems-women-combat-cant-be-mitigated-report/?page=all

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/10/439190586/marine-corps-study-finds-all-male-combat-units-faster-than-mixed-units
Reply 8
Well, there is the Shakta tradition of Hinduism which thinks of the Ultimate Reality as female.

It has been observed that "nowhere in the religious history of the world do we come across such a completely female-oriented system." (Bhattacharyya, N. N. (1996) [1974]. History of the Sakta Religion)

Hasn't helped the women of that particular sect though (at least not in the modern day).
Many early societies were matriarchal, and society is run by women in terms of male disposability. If you literally mean the people at the very top aren't women, it's simple, they only received equality properly arguably in 1970, and before then were not being educated as well. This was due to a long chain of patriarchal command beginning when power was about strength, not intellect. It is only now in this current era that women have all the facilities available to them, ironically women will now find it easier due to the educational scheme, modern attitudes, and things like all women shortlists. Many of the older generation were still brought up in a sexist era. Wait 20 to 40 years and you'll be seeing more women in power than men, only I hope we won't be as ridiculous as the 3rd wave feminists and claim that's sexist. It's a reflection of modern society, nowadays, almost 70% of university students are female, though politics is still a male field, not dominated by any means, just viewed as a man's thing for some primitive reason. It'll change, just like law, with the majority of law students now being women too, politics is a viable option after doing law as well.
Original post by nucdev
Well, there is the Shakta tradition of Hinduism which thinks of the Ultimate Reality as female.

It has been observed that "nowhere in the religious history of the world do we come across such a completely female-oriented system." (Bhattacharyya, N. N. (1996) [1974]. History of the Sakta Religion)

Hasn't helped the women of that particular sect though (at least not in the modern day).

But they also believe in many-handed elephants, don't they?
Reply 11
Original post by Kurtle
There is:
It's called the Western World.

Is that why most 90% of high profile / CEOs / executives are men in the Western world?
Lack of creativity. All the things you mentioned society/culture/religion requires invention or reinvention; not female strong points.
Maintenance and administration, maybe (caretaker roles) but not pioneer/leadership.
Original post by zigglr
Is that why most 90% of high profile / CEOs / executives are men in the Western world?

No that is because many CEOs are in the older generations so the women in those generations were not afforded the opportunities they have today therefore are not suitable for the job. This will change in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131511/Sex-Sahara-Striking-photographs-mysterious-Islamic-tribe-women-embrace-sexual-freedoms-dictate-gets-divorce-don-t-wear-veil-men-want-beautiful-faces.html

If I recall correctly, I believe Pierre de Vallombreuse (the photographer) visited a few cultures in South-East Asia where women played a dominant/ central role in the societal hierarchy.
Reply 15
Original post by Melancholy
But they also believe in many-handed elephants, don't they?

Nope. Firstly the many headed elephant you're referring to is Airavata and he is hardly worshipped - he's the "vehicle" of Indra (a deity who is almost never worshipped by modern Hindus).
There's Ganesha who only has one elephant head, but not all Hindus worship Him.

Most sects of Hinduism are actually monotheistic in the sense that they will worship only one Ultimate and regard all other deities as manifestations or avatars of their Ishta-devta (chosen personal form of the Absolute).

So Shaktas would consider the Divine Mother as the only Absolute and all other deities (even male ones) like Ganesha, Vishnu, Shiva would all be different aspects/manifestations/avatars of Her.
There are some AFAIK. In modern Jamaica, women are have much economic responsibility, also some horticulturalist societies in rural Africa (as opposed to pastoral societies).

In general though, male domination is because as soon as societies can accumulate wealth after farming, men tend to compete to obtain the wealth because it can increase their reproductive success (RS). Women's RS does not tend to increase so sharply with wealth, so they will risk less to compete.
Original post by chazwomaq
There are some AFAIK. In modern Jamaica, women are have much economic responsibility, also some horticulturalist societies in rural Africa (as opposed to pastoral societies).

This^ There are some societies which are 'matriarchal' and female-led, just not in most of the first world countries.
Because woman are physically weaker then men and in the past physical power was everything. Men of one tribe would fight with another tribe and so when the war was finished and all the men were dead in the battlefield. The Woman and children were taken captives because of their physical weakness compared to men.

Historically woman have been opressed in almost every culture. It is very rare to see woman in positions of power until recently.

Nowadays woman are able to reach high positions because in our times brain power is more valued.

But even then the gender gap is massive and as someone pointed out most CEOs are male.

Much can be written about this topic but I am too lazy.:tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
This^ There are some societies which are 'matriarchal' and female-led, just not in most of the first world countries.

examples?

Maybe there are places where women make economic decisions in a family but that has very little to do with what I'm talking about.

Original post by Mich18
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131511/Sex-Sahara-Striking-photographs-mysterious-Islamic-tribe-women-embrace-sexual-freedoms-dictate-gets-divorce-don-t-wear-veil-men-want-beautiful-faces.html

If I recall correctly, I believe Pierre de Vallombreuse (the photographer) visited a few cultures in South-East Asia where women played a dominant/ central role in the societal hierarchy.

They may have decent status compared to women in other islamic countries but that's a pretty low bar!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending