The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why do people hate the police...

Scroll to see replies

Due to a range of incidents within my personal life, I grew to seriously dispise the police after a while.

However, an incident that I was involved with recently has now restored my faith :smile:
People hate the police because the police hate them - justifiably so or not.
There is a big difference between police and fire men and paramedics,
2 of these are genuinely out there to help
One of these are out to ruin your life
(edited 8 years ago)
I imagine it's people stereotyping based on some bad experiences. Personally I think the police do a great job and should be celebrated more. People who wear shirts with ACAB on it ('all cops are bastards') make me cringe! Yeah there are some bad apples but plenty more decent police men and women who help us, you just don't take notice of them because they're, well, doing their job properly and don't invite attention.
Because they generally enforce capitalism. Besides its better to give the police the run-around, duck n dive and take it to the big man rather than doing the mainstream 9 to 5 guff or become a line manager/bully boy in a suit.
Because the police hate the people.
Original post by Ducati john

They're not out to ruin my life because I'm not a criminal.

The main time I've come into contact with police is when my parents' house was burgled, and they were perfectly courteous and moderately efficient.
Original post by Dukeofwembley
i think that anyone that hates the police should be banned from using any emergency services, even ambulances and hospitals

i was watching the riots episode on bbc about views on the police, and a woman was encouraging violence against them

what if her mother had been killed or raped , do you think she still would have had the same attitude towards the police.

what are your opinions?

Most people don't hate the police at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the same reason that people hate Muslims or black people; ridiculous stereotyping

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Ducati john

only ruin your life if you do something against the law.
i think that anyone that hates the police should be banned from using any emergency services, even ambulances and hospitals

i was watching the riots episode on bbc about views on the police, and a woman was encouraging violence against them

what if her mother had been killed or raped , do you think she still would have had the same attitude towards the police.

what are your opinions?

Because people think they're solid..
Original post by TheNote
only ruin your life if you do something against the law.

It's not even the police who ruin your life if you break the law, it's whoever decides that they're guilty. And if you go to a court with a jury, it's ordinary people who say that you're guilty.
Original post by Captain Haddock
They have a long track record of violence and misconduct and not a whole lot seems to get done about it. They seem to get away with all kinds of horrible things (Ian Tomlinson, Forest Gate and Charles de Menezes come to mind). Their recent handling of peaceful protests has been atrocious and their response to the riots was an absolute joke. Obviously there are lots of good cops out there but the fact the bad ones seem to behave without consequence and are protected by their peers makes the whole institution seem corrupt.

Well said, 23-year-old-me.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well said, 23-year-old-me.

It's the worse when you find time capsule you. Makes you feel so old :afraid:

what are your opinions?

Would that not bring you down to the haters' level?
Original post by Slowbro93
Due to a range of incidents within my personal life, I grew to seriously dispise the police after a while.

However, an incident that I was involved with recently has now restored my faith :smile:

They are good at doing their job, but they are definitely a little racist against ethnic minorities. As I have learnt from many personal experiences, and heard from the incidents experienced by people I know.
Well, because some people just don't appreciate classic rock, apparently.

Spoiler

But seriously, in my opinion, the only people that hate the police are criminals or people who act or dress suspiciously. If you dress like an upstanding citizen and aren't up to anything suspicious, it seems like you shouldn't have anything to fear from them.

The police here have an undeserved bad reputation as well, mostly thanks to various organisations insulting them or accusing them of things unjustly. I tend to think pretty highly of people that enforce the law.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by gogojakeo
It's not even the police who ruin your life if you break the law, it's whoever decides that they're guilty. And if you go to a court with a jury, it's ordinary people who say that you're guilty.

excellent point
so what if it is?

cant believe you actually hate the police

i need to become Mp and introduce a bill whereby anyone who hates the police will be denied any access to any service

even if it means finding criminals themselves or hiring people privatley

'privatley' is not a word.

Oops I realise after I had written post that thread is old, but point still stands.

Latest

Trending

Trending