The Student Room Group

If you could change one thing about society..

Scroll to see replies

What do u mean by banishing radical Islam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would change how sensitive society is to things. You can't even criticise anyone or anything anymore without having several snarl word labels placed on you.
I hate the way Western society has come to judge the worth of an individual based on society's expectations of what we should be striving to achieve. We're conditioned from a young age to think that we must strive to attain what I call the "big 4" (respectable career, motor vehicle, own house, relationship), basically in order to attain social status and the respect of others. This kind of thinking is more prevalent in society today than it ever has been, no wonder mental health issues in young people is rife when there's so much pressure to achieve, lest you're written off as a waster.
It is okay for other countries to have different values than your own.
Not every country is going to be like the "great" USA/UK we all know and love. Oh no, that country isn't pro gay? Alrighty then, it is a crappy country!

The funny thing bout these people is they have no intention of stepping on another country to begun with. It just bothers them that somewhere in this world, someone's else values do not aligned with theirs. Don't believe in my values? Ok then, throw away yours and have a good serving of mine! If a different country's values bothers that person so much, then don't go to that country.Problem solved. Basically people got in their heads that their values are the best, and if they do not like different values of another country then its crap.
Basic Income.
Allow squash to be played at the Olympics so that the sport can grow larger in popularity
Ensure that everybody tolerates everyone else.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here - both minority and majority groups are at fault.
Brit drinking culture is fvcked up.
Reply 28
Original post by batoot
you use "of Muslims" as if you are talking about all British Muslims/ all Muslims.

i sure as hell didn't participate in whatever questionnaire etc lead them to these results and neither did anyone I know, so percentages of how many Muslims are included in this?

For the pew research poll 60,000 Muslims were interviewed in the USA.

the other polls it's hard to find information on how many Muslims were interviewed, however you don't need to ask every Muslim to get an idea of what the general Muslim population thinks
Original post by Incredible97
Stop Islamophobia

Instead of ending poverty, homelessness, prevalence of rape, widespread domestic violence, usury, the plight of the disabled, racism, massive inequality of opportunity between the rich and the poor, political corruption, the breakdown of the family unit, the absence of a fit for purpose care system for people with mental health problems,..................I would rather people didn't criticise Islam.

Original post by Incredible97
Stop Islamophobia

Stop Islam

and this relatively new phenomenon where everyone has to be a victim and needs to be wrapped in cotton wool to avoid their feelings being hurt.
Immigration and Islam
multiculturalism and political correctness
Political correctness

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sharia every time bruv. Restore morality and communal responsibility and generally make our town centres culturally enriching i.e like France/Italy. All sisters that reject piety and good education should be battered unremittingly.
Original post by Macy1998
It is okay for other countries to have different values than your own.
Not every country is going to be like the "great" USA/UK we all know and love. Oh no, that country isn't pro gay? Alrighty then, it is a crappy country!

The funny thing bout these people is they have no intention of stepping on another country to begun with. It just bothers them that somewhere in this world, someone's else values do not aligned with theirs. Don't believe in my values? Ok then, throw away yours and have a good serving of mine! If a different country's values bothers that person so much, then don't go to that country.Problem solved. Basically people got in their heads that their values are the best, and if they do not like different values of another country then its crap.

It is views of precisely this kind that I'd like to change. It seems little more than moral cowardice. Your argument is based on the extraordinarily shaky assumption that all values are 'equal', and some values are not better than others. Personally, I care about what happens in other countries because I actually care about the suffering of other people, and indeed it does bother me that some people's values do not seem to take this into account. I think that some values are bad - or at least worse than others - and so I would like them to be changed.

Simply saying 'it's just their culture' and turning away from the REAL suffering and torment of others simply because they are from a different country is despicable.
I'm getting really tired by how impulsive society is. We react and then think.
Peoples obsession with wealth and possessions. If we had a society where people were happy with income x and donate or pay the rest in tax, where we don't value being rich.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by MouseyBrown
Well importance is surely subjective, but could you argue that some people are not more important to others? Is somebody in Australia as important to you as your mum?

I'm not sure quite how applicable this example is, as the majority of people calling for preferential treatment for natives do not know either group of people personally, and so surely cannot have a greater affinity for one group over another?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way everyone judges everyone.
The way we treat other animals and the earth generally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending