The Student Room Group

c12 help

i tried and got almost to the answer but got something else at the end.
i dont understand the last step the answer, if anyone could explain it would be helpful.
Reply 1
They have just multiplied \sqrt 2 x^3 \text{ by } \frac{x}{4\sqrt 2}} .

By the way x2x \sqrt{x^2} \neq x so even the answer is not correct, unless you have been told that x>0.
Original post by djmans
i dont understand the last step the answer, if anyone could explain it would be helpful.

2x3×x42=2x442 \sqrt 2 x^3 \times \dfrac{x}{4\sqrt 2} = \dfrac{\sqrt 2 x^4}{4\sqrt 2}
Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
2x3×x42=2x442 \sqrt 2 x^3 \times \dfrac{x}{4\sqrt 2} = \dfrac{\sqrt 2 x^4}{4\sqrt 2}

Did you read my post above?
Original post by B_9710
Did you read my post above?

my latex is very slow ;(
Reply 5
my latex is very slow ;(

That's not what I'm saying. Try x=-1 in your expression, then do the same thing with the original expression. They should give you the same value, but does it with your expression?
Original post by B_9710
That's not what I'm saying. Try x=-1 in your expression, then do the same thing with the original expression. They should give you the same value, but does it with your expression?

no....
Reply 7
no....

Can you see where it went wrong?
Original post by B_9710
Can you see where it went wrong?

i really don't know....

but isn't 2x3=2×x3?? \sqrt 2 x^3 = \sqrt 2 \times x^3 ??
Reply 9
You put that x2=x \sqrt{x^2} = x but it doesn't.
x2=x \sqrt{x^2} =|x| .
Reply 10
Original post by djmans

You may find this thread helpful. I wouldn't worry about the x2=x\sqrt{x^2} = |x| thing just yet, it's just a mistake on Edexcel's part.
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
You may find this thread helpful. I wouldn't worry about the x2=x\sqrt{x^2} = |x| thing just yet, it's just a mistake on Edexcel's part.

but shouldn't you rationalise the denominator
Reply 12
Original post by djmans
but shouldn't you rationalise the denominator

You can if you want to, it'll just bean extra step but if that's what if you feel more comfortable with then go ahead.
Original post by Zacken

You need to know sqrt(x^2)=abs(x) for STEP I 2015 Q5(ii), so better to learn it now...

Quick Reply

Latest