The Student Room Group

Proof by induction

u1=5.2,and un+1=6un+25un+6 \displaystyle u_1 = 5.2, \text{and } u_{n+1} = \frac{6u_n+25}{u_n+6} .

Prove by induction that un>5 u_n>5 .
How do you deal with these inequality types? It seems so trivial but how to give a sound proper proof. It seems that you rearrange it to
un+1=611un+6 u_{n+1} = \displaystyle 6-\frac{11}{u_n+6} .
Then it seems trivial.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
u1=5.2,and un+1=6un+25un+6 \displaystyle u_1 = 5.2, \text{and } u_{n+1} = \frac{6u_n+25}{u_n+6} .

Prove by induction that un>5 u_n>5 .

As a general rule:

1. Show it works for case n=1 or another easy to evaluate one.

2. Assume it works for n=k.

3. Show that it must then work for n=k+1, normally involves relating to the n=k case.

4. Hence holds by induction
Reply 2
Original post by samb1234
As a general rule:

1. Show it works for case n=1 or another easy to evaluate one.

2. Assume it works for n=k.

3. Show that it must then work for n=k+1, normally involves relating to the n=k case.

4. Hence holds by induction

What would you make the inductive step?
Original post by Ano123

Showing that the statement holds for n=k+1n=k+1 given that it holds for n=kn=k.
Original post by Ano123

Assume that Uk>5, then using your rearranged form for Un+1 can easily show that if Uk is greater than 5 than so is Uk+1
Reply 5
Assume that Uk>5, then using your rearranged form for Un+1 can easily show that if Uk is greater than 5 than so is Uk+1

That's what I've done and demonstrated in the OP, but how can I formally say it. It doesn't seem right saying, it is clearly greater than 5 as long as un>5 u_n > 5 .
But in this case do you think it's so obvious that it is fine to just do that?
Original post by Ano123
That's what I've done and demonstrated in the OP, but how can I formally say it. It doesn't seem right saying, it is clearly greater than 5 as long as un>5 u_n > 5 .
But in this case do you think it's so obvious that it is fine to just do that?

Maybe make a statement that 11/Uk+6 is less than 1 if Uk is greater than 5, and therefore 6 -11/Uk+6 is always greater than 5 if holds for Uk
Reply 7
Maybe make a statement that 11/Uk+6 is less than 1 if Uk is greater than 5, and therefore 6 -11/Uk+6 is always greater than 5 if holds for Uk

Thank you for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest