The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is crime so prevalent among black people in UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
I notice you skipped the other part of my post. Nice bit of editing there. The rest of my post said:

"Also, I think it is worth mentioning that in some countries, the Chinese are associated with criminal elements such as the Chinese triads, prostitution, selling illegal goods etc... So I don't think we can say one ethnic groups is perfect and another isn't."

I don't disagree that that stereotype exists too, though association with organised crime is not quite the same as association with petty disorder and random violence (no one thinks black street gangs are running the international drug trade for example - because they're not).

I am merely pointing out that the stereotype that Chinese (and Jews) are too clever by 'alf is class war facing up, not down.
Original post by Multiculturalism
I've got a better question

Why is racism so prevalent among white people??

Citation needed.

Actual evidence would suggest otherwise. As reported by the Washington Post, predominantly white countries are the most racially tolerant countries in the world.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/
Original post by ElizaLemon
That's not the point. the point is that certain acts are seen as criminal while others are not. Everyone in every race commits crimes but if you so of you target a particular race based on stereotypes then don't be surprised when you find what your looking for.

You stated "there are black mothers who can't afford to pay tax and who are labelled criminals for failing to do so" - this is patently not true.

People earning a salary below the threshold for taxable earnings (the 'personal allowance' - around £12,500) are not legally obliged to pay (income) tax, so people who come under this category are not 'labelled criminals' as you stated.
I fully believe it's black culture that's responsible. When famous black artists write lyrics about murder, sex and drugs it's very likely to influence the youth that listens. Same situation in the US.

In regards to poverty, there are many millions more poor white people, so if that was the only problem would there not be much higher rates of violence carried out by the working class white communities?
The black youth of today have created this 'gangster' identity for themselves. At least where I live.
All the black kids around me just stick to themselves, so the younger ones just go to the older ones. There they spend all their time smoking or hanging around in parks listening to tupac or whatever. They have a strong 'if he looks at me funny i am going to punch him' mentality.
Waste their younger years, combined with a aggressive attitude leads to them tending to crime as they have no prospects.

I am not saying all black people are like this but 90% of the black people I know are like this. This is what they have done, just an observation.

For the record I live in a shitty area.
It is also interesting to compare the crime statistics and state of general governance in black majority countries.

Compare the crime rates in South Africa and Rhodesia/Zimbabwe now, and when they were run by whites. Or Jamaica pre and post independence. Or Nigeria.

Those countries all went down the plug hole. Why?
Racism is prevalent throughout the world. It is absurd to claim that racism is only prevalent among white people.
Original post by generallee
It is also interesting to compare the crime statistics and state of general governance in black majority countries.

Compare the crime rates in South Africa and Rhodesia/Zimbabwe now, and when they were run by whites. Or Jamaica pre and post independence. Or Nigeria.

Those countries all went down the plug hole. Why?

Is this an actual question or do you already have an answer in mind?
I ask because I'm Nigerian and I do have a few theories to answer your questions but if your answer is just 'its cos white people are better' or the like I feel the discussion would be wasted.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ikhan94
And cue the racism....

[video="youtube;SA0aKjY8K50"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA0aKjY8K50[/video]
Reply 50
Original post by NickLCFC
It really isn't 'obvious' when you don't provide evidence to back up your claim.

http://cjr.sagepub.com/content/18/2/182.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289609000592

Are you suggesting that the link between skin colour and crime is greater than the link between income and crime?
Original post by pjm600
http://cjr.sagepub.com/content/18/2/182.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289609000592

Are you suggesting that the link between skin colour and crime is greater than the link between income and crime?

No. If you actually read my original post, you would see my justification for why I don't think economic status is a big factor for the higher rate of crime.
I think that a lot of this starts and ends with how one sees oneself. Many black people suffer from self-hate due to numerous reasons. Everywhere in the world you will find both black and white media perpetuating this unconscious negative energy towards anything closer African in appearance. It's a systemic issue and if people hate themselves then it strongly reflects on others. I feel like people look at these issues as black and white when there's a serious grey area that shouldn't be ignored. Anyways I don't usually post of threads like this and I won't have a debate with anyone online about it either but it would be interesting if some people actually took time to think about this instead of passively reading statistics.
Reply 53
Its not just one factor, its many.

*One parent households. Always cast in a bad light and a large percentage of them have kids who grow up well adjusted and successful, but it does mean that the family can be a little unstable. When you rebel against one parent you usually calm down for the other and behave. If the other parent isnt there then you can just derail.

*Bad area in terms of crimes and poor schools = community of children who disregard education and are influenced by crime on a daily basis.

*TV culture and Black culture in general stereotypes black people to be loud and aggressive. Many people look up to their favourite tv characters/actors and if your's is hoodrat Anisha then you might end up imitating her on a daily basis. (the same can be said for "chav" culture)

*Lack of a work ethic - Why would you work, when Steve round the corner doesnt and he can easily buy the latest games on his benefits, whereas you'll have to work in a low paid job for the next 5 months to save up.

*Drugs - You like the ganja or LSD hits and you want more. You're out of money, so you steal and make money. Illegal entrepreneurial spirit. Sometimes you get caught, or you end up owing a LOT of money and you've got to do some less than tasteful jobs to repay it back.

*Fragmented society -since the 1960's community spirit has been in steady decline. a large percentage of the population dont even know their neighbours. Before if someone saw you causing trouble theyd know who you were and who your parents were and the matter would be dealt with swiftly and effectively. Now people phone the police which can ruin a 15yr olds life and stop them obtaining better jobs in the future.

*If you are harassed everyday by police for the way you dress (ie trackies) and they constantly suspect that you're up to something, no matter what you do or how polite you are, you may never lose the stigma attached. Even if you change your style later on. If you're already in the limelight, you may as well perform a song and dance.

* SWAG/Cool Badass culture. Its cool to be a badboy. The girls like you more, the lads give you respect. Social status within your friend circle and local area is often really important in your teens. It was for me. If the easiest way to be the popular one and get "friends" and likes on fb is to get into trouble then people will do it. By removing only the badass culture from society you'd see an awful lot of crime go down.

*Poverty - Crime rates for low income white males (WLI) are on par with that for low income black males(BLI). Similarly the crime rates for middle class white males (WMC) is on par with the crime rates for middle class black males (BMC). and BMC:BLI = 1:6 and WMC:WLI = 1:3 [not exact figures] It's not a massive coincidence, its a reflection from all that above its disproportionate because there are far more low income black kids than there are middle class black kids. If the tables were turned, the stats would fall dramatically.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I think that a lot of this starts and ends with how one sees oneself. Many black people suffer from self-hate due to numerous reasons. Everywhere in the world you will find both black and white media perpetuating this unconscious negative energy towards anything closer African in appearance. It's a systemic issue and if people hate themselves then it strongly reflects on others. I feel like people look at these issues as black and white when there's a serious grey area that shouldn't be ignored.

So you're suggesting that a negative image of black people painted by the media is the cause of a high rate of crime? Interesting. I've never really noticed such an obvious anti-black agenda in the mainstream media but I still can't see how that is an appropriate justification for a such a disproportionate crime rate.

Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Anyways I don't usually post of threads like this and I won't have a debate with anyone online about it either but it would be interesting if some people actually took time to think about this instead of passively reading statistics.

That's the exact purpose of this thread :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
x

biggest factor in why black commit more crimes relative to asian despite similar poverty levels is religion. Asian community on the whole is far more religious than the black community, and so its these moral values that make asians less likely to commit.
Original post by 999tigger
Not alogether true, they just prefer different areas of crime.

Yes. Chinese people pretty much own the pirate movies & media market.
Original post by Espada Null
Yes. Chinese people pretty much own the pirate movies & media market.

I would think their involvement in crime is lower, but theres also lost of finacial crime and trafficing they are involved in. Triads and the like.
I think its the culture of rap music and the perceived opulence of the gang lifestyle. Also, black people tend to come from bad family backgrounds without a father figure to lookup to
My mum said that back in her day (the 1970s) the thing she feared the most was having a son because of how targeted Black males were by the police. My brothers do not dress and act like many of the other Black youth so they are generally left alone. But I can imagine that for those living in poorer areas who look the way the police would expect a stereotypical gangster to look it would be a different story.

Latest

Trending

Trending