The Student Room Group

Anxiety and gcse exams?

I have bad anxiety and am super stressed about my gcses. What I'm mostly terrified about is having a panic attack in the exam, I've been having reoccurring nightmares about that happening for the past month or two. I'm also scared I'll need to put my hand up for more paper which I find really difficult and don't think I'll be able to do with everyone there.

I was wondering do you think it would be possible for me to do my gcses in a separate room perhaps with people who have dyslexia etc where it'll be a much smaller less intense situation? I did my mocks in the hall in December and I though i found it really difficult because they weren't actual exams I didn't work myself up into a panic. But since then my anxiety has really escalated so I'm worried I won't be able to handle it in the real thing. I want to go and ask school but I'm worried that they won't let me because I did my mocks in the hall last year.Do you think they will let me?

Thanks for reading
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have bad anxiety and am super stressed about my gcses. What I'm mostly terrified about is having a panic attack in the exam, I've been having reoccurring nightmares about that happening for the past month or two. I'm also scared I'll need to put my hand up for more paper which I find really difficult and don't think I'll be able to do with everyone there.

I was wondering do you think it would be possible for me to do my gcses in a separate room perhaps with people who have dyslexia etc where it'll be a much smaller less intense situation? I did my mocks in the hall in December and I though i found it really difficult because they weren't actual exams I didn't work myself up into a panic. But since then my anxiety has really escalated so I'm worried I won't be able to handle it in the real thing. I want to go and ask school but I'm worried that they won't let me because I did my mocks in the hall last year.Do you think they will let me?

Thanks for reading

Deffinately worth asking your school what help they can offer you. That could well include being in a seperate room and could possibly also include rest breaks (being able to pause your exam and leave the room for a bit) so ask about them too. I would expct they will let you go into a seperate room at least. It doesn't matter where you have been before, they will be basing it on how you are now.
Talk to your school about it asap so it can all be organised. The biggest restraint would be time since they can't do it at short notice.

You might also like to see your doctor for advice on managing your anxiety.

Good luck with your exams. Just remember even if anything were to go wrong you can always re-take.
I was pretty much in the same boat as you when it came to my GCSE's, when I took the mocks I did work myself up a bit but in the end, they were mocks, and I never 'panicked'. However the moment study leave came around I just crumbled, I was found crouching in corridors more times than I care to admit and I literally had no idea how to control myself.
Luckily for me, I had a friend in the sixth form who, on one of my very dark days, bunked off college, took me out for a cup of tea and let me know that I really wasn't alone and that I had to start making changes for myself that worked for me, and forget about what the school wanted.
We got back to school, marched to my year office and asked for seating near the door (so I could escape with as little fuss as possible if I needed to) and requested that I wasn't forced to attend 'turbo sessions' -these were compulsory revision sessions put on by the school during study leave that just sent my anxiety through the roof.
Getting into the exams was never ever easy, but it's in the schools interest to get you into that exam with the highest potential to succeed, so if you go to them and tell them how you're feeling and suggest the ways in which you think they could help you - it will be far more beneficial to you than them giving you the bog-standard 'yeah they're freaking out we'll just sit them quietly in a corner' treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest