The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Biology Unit 3b exam Help

Hey guys! I am new to the Student Room. I was wondering if any of you had any idea on how to revise for the Unit 3 written exam for Edexcel Biology (other than past papers and core practicals). I mostly need help in exam technique.

Scroll to see replies

hey are you an international students, a lot of the questions are exactly specific to questions o you can go through past papers and get the overview,such as how are the ptracticlal become reliable in an enzyme practical and instead be applied to all experiments,such as peer review or large sample i recommend going through it like that. I've not even started haha
Reply 2
Original post by hadzyster99
hey are you an international students, a lot of the questions are exactly specific to questions o you can go through past papers and get the overview,such as how are the ptracticlal become reliable in an enzyme practical and instead be applied to all experiments,such as peer review or large sample i recommend going through it like that. I've not even started haha

Thanks and yes I am an international student.
Original post by sk1998
Hey guys! I am new to the Student Room. I was wondering if any of you had any idea on how to revise for the Unit 3 written exam for Edexcel Biology (other than past papers and core practicals). I mostly need help in exam technique.

Hiya! I moved this into the Biology Exams forum for you :h: you'll probably get more responses here, and you can look around threads that other people have made that might help you
Original post by sk1998

do the u3 papers from may 2009 to june 2013. this year range covers all the practicals. go through the mark scheme and ER.

also, know the background knowledge about the practicals. for example, for daphnia, it would be about the heart. dont study the practicals only
Here is a poll for EDEXCEL AS Biology Unit 3 Core Practicals. Which practical do you guys think might come this session? Any Prediction?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4052093
Reply 6
I think (after going through all the papers from Jan 2009 to January 2016) vitamin C might come up as that is the pattern
Original post by sk1998
I think (after going through all the papers from Jan 2009 to January 2016) vitamin C might come up as that is the pattern

What is the pattern? :hugs:
Hey guys!
How do we write the bibliography for unit 3? Is bibliography the same as 'reference'? Do you have any unit 3 notes you can help me with?

I need urgent help!
Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by Neurology
What is the pattern? :hugs:

In Jan and June 2009 both times the cell membrane permeability experiment came up. Up to June 2011, all the 9 core practicals came up and then after that all the practicals were repeated except vitamin C. So there is a slight pattern but I am not sure.
Reply 10
Me from pakisten
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sk1998
In Jan and June 2009 both times the cell membrane permeability experiment came up. Up to June 2011, all the 9 core practicals came up and then after that all the practicals were repeated except vitamin C. So there is a slight pattern but I am not sure.

oh right. i guess that makes sense

Original post by Suhail99
I was wondering if we might be asked about plotting a histogram

we have never got a histogram before. would be interesting to see what context thy put it in
Any one got any notes or like exam question answering techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GUYS!!

In Jan 2012, Q.no.1b(iv), why does the Examiner Comment in the Examiner report say: "This answer makes the mistake that repeating ensures reliability." Doesn't repeating the experiment actually increase the reliability?

I'm confused!!
Original post by Loody Nagy
GUYS!!

In Jan 2012, Q.no.1b(iv), why does the Examiner Comment in the Examiner report say: "This answer makes the mistake that repeating ensures reliability." Doesn't repeating the experiment actually increase the reliability?

I'm confused!!

omg same this confused me SOO much..... idk i think may be that he must not say repeating ENSURES reliability .... only IMPROVES or enhances it
thats the only thing that made sense to me
can someone please help me with this question!!! (the Q is on the last pic) 2012 jan 3b
here is the answer in the markscheme
1. both (sets of data) show loss on heating / eq ;2. all the vegetables show similar loss which is less thanhers/eq ;3. credit comparative manipulation of data to support ;
i dont understand how her percentage loss is higher.. like dont we need the volume of the original solution - all we have is the volume of the juice added to the DCPIP
Original post by pondsteps
can someone please help me with this question!!! (the Q is on the last pic) 2012 jan 3b
here is the answer in the markscheme
1. both (sets of data) show loss on heating / eq ;2. all the vegetables show similar loss which is less thanhers/eq ;3. credit comparative manipulation of data to support ;
i dont understand how her percentage loss is higher.. like dont we need the volume of the original solution - all we have is the volume of the juice added to the DCPIP

I LITERALLY HAVE THE SAME DAMN QUESTION!
It's so confusing!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you think that the earlier years (2011-2012) were much tougher than the recent ones?
Also, how do you write titles for graphs??
Original post by Loody Nagy
I LITERALLY HAVE THE SAME DAMN QUESTION!
It's so confusing!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you think that the earlier years (2011-2012) were much tougher than the recent ones?

YESS i realized that too, but the grade boundaries for the recent years are sort of higher than the older ones
btw if u know the answer to this question pls send it here!!!
and could u pls tell me in which experiments when we use water bath and in which we use incubator or chamber..... i never know how to answer it like i cant diffrentiate between them
thanks x
Reply 19
Jju
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending