The Student Room Group

Gap Year A-Level Chemistry to go into Med.

I'm currently in year 13 Studying: Biology, Computer Science, Digital Technology and Welsh Bacc (Similar to the epq).

I Had previously wanted to go into Computing/Software but have changed plans and go attempt to go into Medicine due to having a massive interest in biology and consistently doing very well and ranking 1/28 in my class. I live in Wales so I have already done my AS-Levels in year 12 getting AAA. And will get my full A-Level grades in Summer 2024 and am currently predicted A*A*A*A. (I also achieved 6 a*, 3 a, 3b at GCSE if it is relevant. a* includes bio, maths, English, with an a in chem).

To apply to medicine I would need to have Chemistry A-Level, However, after speaking to collages near me all have declined me to join their college and do the A-Level in a single year claiming it would be too difficult, or they simply don't allow it. So i have reviewed my options and have seen open online colleges based in England which allow it, however this would be with AQA instead of WJEC (the only exam board i have ever been apart of) and would also need to find an exam centre in England to do practical's + the actual exams.

So I was wondering if it's a good choice to go with the open colleges or if there are any alternatives anyone can think of. Also if my ambitions are realistic and would have a good shot of being accepted into a Medical Degree. Additionally, I would find work experience in healthcare during early summer 2024 and do some more research on the medical field to have a good personal statement and study toward the UCAT in July 2024. I'm mainly concerned about the lack of support I would have going into this as I would be on my own and no one I know in my family have gone to University let alone work in the Medical Field.

I Appreciate any responses or advice, Thanks!
Original post by Sam1341
I'm currently in year 13 Studying: Biology, Computer Science, Digital Technology and Welsh Bacc (Similar to the epq).

I Had previously wanted to go into Computing/Software but have changed plans and go attempt to go into Medicine due to having a massive interest in biology and consistently doing very well and ranking 1/28 in my class. I live in Wales so I have already done my AS-Levels in year 12 getting AAA. And will get my full A-Level grades in Summer 2024 and am currently predicted A*A*A*A. (I also achieved 6 a*, 3 a, 3b at GCSE if it is relevant. a* includes bio, maths, English, with an a in chem).

To apply to medicine I would need to have Chemistry A-Level, However, after speaking to collages near me all have declined me to join their college and do the A-Level in a single year claiming it would be too difficult, or they simply don't allow it. So i have reviewed my options and have seen open online colleges based in England which allow it, however this would be with AQA instead of WJEC (the only exam board i have ever been apart of) and would also need to find an exam centre in England to do practical's + the actual exams.

So I was wondering if it's a good choice to go with the open colleges or if there are any alternatives anyone can think of. Also if my ambitions are realistic and would have a good shot of being accepted into a Medical Degree. Additionally, I would find work experience in healthcare during early summer 2024 and do some more research on the medical field to have a good personal statement and study toward the UCAT in July 2024. I'm mainly concerned about the lack of support I would have going into this as I would be on my own and no one I know in my family have gone to University let alone work in the Medical Field.

Campbell Harris College will enter you for any examboard whether it be WJEC, AQA, OCR or Edexcel.

How to register | Campbell Harris

The college is situated at: 185 Kensington High Street, London, W8 6SH

It is just a few minutes walk from High Street Kensington tube station.

The exams are held at other venues in Kensington not far from the college.
Original post by Sam1341

hi i’m really sorry that this has nothing to do with your question but i’m also doing wjec computer science and in struggling. what revision resources did you use for the practical exam and the theory?

Quick Reply

Latest