The Student Room Group

Which exam boards are easiest to take Chemistry and Biology A-levels with?

Hi. I'm a mature student interested in taking the private route with doing A levels (instead of going to college). What would you say is a good (easier) exam board to go with?
If you're a self learner, please feel free to give advice as well.
According to my 16 year old sister who is currently doing Biology and Chemistry AS levels, some people say Edexcel is easier (she is doing Edexcel and thinks it's easier) and some say Cambridge is easier, although it is harder to get a good grade based on the grading criteria.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
4th-year BSc (Hons) Criminal Psychology student at the University of Essex Online
Reply 2
Original post by nasee
Hi. I'm a mature student interested in taking the private route with doing A levels (instead of going to college). What would you say is a good (easier) exam board to go with?
If you're a self learner, please feel free to give advice as well.

There isn't much to choose between the examiners since the A level specifications went through a major update a few year ago. If you are a student in England you should be aware that current science A levels include a requirement to assess your practical skills by means of a series of practicals taken through the course and leading to a pass or fail in the practical endorsement. As a private candidate it is very expensive to complete the practical endorsement and few centres offer it. If your intention is to use the A levels for university entrance you will find some universities insist on it for some courses, others might waive it for independent candidates. You have to ask the university. Some independent candidates are taking advantage of the opportunity to take Edexcel modular international A levels since there is not a requirement for hands on practicals and the unit exams can be spread across three exam windows each year. They can be be taken through https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centre/what-exams-can-I-sit/#ia-levels in several UK centres.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
There isn't much to choose between the examiners since the A level specifications went through a major update a few year ago. If you are a student in England you should be aware that current science A levels include a requirement to assess your practical skills by means of a series of practicals taken through the course and leading to a pass or fail in the practical endorsement. As a private candidate it is very expensive to complete the practical endorsement and few centres offer it. If your intention is to use the A levels for university entrance you will find some universities insist on it for some courses, others might waive it for independent candidates. You have to ask the university. Some independent candidates are taking advantage of the opportunity to take Edexcel modular international A levels since there is not a requirement for hands on practicals and the unit exams can be spread across three exam windows each year. They can be be taken through https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centre/what-exams-can-I-sit/#ia-levels in several UK centres.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into this for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest