The Student Room Group

Chemistry: 3D Bond Line Structures.

How would i know whether something is going out of the page, into the page etc. Additionally does it matter for optical isomers? (e.g. if i draw two going out of the page and two in the plane of the paper and reflect it showing that they are isomers?)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
How would i know whether something is going out of the page, into the page etc. Additionally does it matter for optical isomers? (e.g. if i draw two going out of the page and two in the plane of the paper and reflect it showing that they are isomers?)

Wedge jumps out of the page towards you.
Dotted line goes back behind the plane of the paper.

optical.gif
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes it does matter for optical isomers. Optical isomers, also known as enatiomers, are non-super imposable mirror images of each other, there is no way you can overlay them and have them occupy the same space. In this situation, for an enatiomer, if you look at the stereochemistry at a chiral carbon, (whether groups are dashed or wedged), switching two of the groups will produce the other enantiomer.

For example, consider 2-chlorobutane. Due to the fact that carbon 2 of the butane chain has 4 unidentical substituents, it is a chiral carbon. If the chlorine bonded to this carbon was coming out of the page (wedge) you would have the R enantiomer. If the chlorine was dashed (the opposite way round, going in to the page) you would have the S enantiomer. Hope this clears things up.

Quick Reply

Latest