The Student Room Group

Views on veganism / vegeterianism

Scroll to see replies

I really don't care. Do what you will.
Reply 21
Original post by zakimo
Does it really matter. Eat meat, don't eat meat. Consume animal products, don't consume animal products.I think each to their own, and its your choice, do not impose anything on anyone, eat what you like how you like it.

It does matter quite a lot though to be fair
Reply 22
Original post by hezzlington
Would love to be vegan. Could quite easily give up dairy but meat is hard.

Probably never will though.

You should give it a shot, it's actually quite easy once you get into it (it was for me anyway). Maybe watch Gary Yourofsky's videos on YouTube
Reply 23
Original post by WoodyMKC
As long as you don't try and force your views upon me then I don't have any problem.

The ironic thing is that more often than not it's the other way around (carnivores trying to convert vegans or vegetarians back or making digs at them)
Original post by ben2000
The ironic thing is that more often than not it's the other way around (carnivores trying to convert vegans or vegetarians back or making digs at them)

From what I've seen, meat eaters only start digging when militant vegans start with their self-righteous BS, veganism isn't on our minds generally.
Reply 25
Original post by emxily
Do you think the whole world should stop the consumption of animal products?

People should do as much as they can. In developed countries, everyone is rich enough to go vegetarian (seeing as vegetarianism is probably cheaper than a diet containing meat in it), and almost everyone is rich enough to go vegan.

If one can go vegan, one should. It's pretty uncontroversial that we shouldn't be inflicting unnecessary suffering on other sentient beings. Most of the meat sold in the UK, the West and the world is factory-farmed, whilst the slaughter process goes wrong in a significant proportion of cases even in secular slaughterhouses, equating to millions upon millions of animals dying in intense pain every single year.

The continued confinement, transportation and slaughter of 58 billion nonhuman animals every year is an ongoing moral catastrophe. Once lab-grown meat becomes commercially available, which could be as soon as four years, even the "I like the taste of meat" rationalization will have been addressed.

This is not to say that we can't take incremental steps. Even reducing consumption of meat and other animal products is a good thing, and 10 meat-eaters reducing their intake of animal products is better than 1 person going fully vegan, for the animals. Ultimately, though, the aim should be to get to veganism eventually.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FredOrJohn
I disagree. If you are struggling to cope being a vegetarian and someone sits next to you with a bacon sandwich it could be considered a bit rude (if there are plenty of seats else where)....

If you're struggling to be a vegetarian, why are you being a vegetarian? I mean, it's a choice and not necessarily any healthier than eating meat. Can't really see why you'd force yourself to do it.

And unless I'm psychic, how am I meant to know if they're a veggie or not? Sure, if they're wearing sandals and hemp clothing in psychedelic colours, but I couldn't identify a normal vegetarian at 100 metres.
Original post by UDZ
Yes, but she's talking about the really pushy vegans/vegetarians, not the ones struggling to not give in.

Its difficult to say who is "struggling" - sometimes the "mighty oak" snaps when the wind blows but "grass" just bends and carries on.
I don't think that vegetarianism or veganism is any healthier than an omnivorous diet. But I do think people generally eat too much red meat, way way too much red meat. Nothing wrong with eating fish and white meats though.
Would love to be vegan/vegetarian but i love meat and dairy products
It would certainly be for the greater good, at least a reduction in the consumption of red meat which is the worst offender from an environmental perspective. I can't entirely sympathise with the people saying "Do what you want as long as you don't try to impose anything on me" because the harmful effects of meat consumption is going to effect everyone. It's our collective responsibility to avoid harmful behaviour.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd like to become vegan. After sixth form, definitely going to try it.
If not veganism, at least vegetarianism. I'd probably be that vegan/vegetarian who, when they see others eating meat would have thoughts on disgust, thinking why not just become vegetarian and help our planet. Not because I'm a judgemental freak but when I become passionate about something, sometimes I can become a bit too passionate to where I'd campaign and boycott lol. Hopefully I don't become obsessed.
I suffer from anaemia too so not sure if it's a great idea; I was told by a friend who is vegetarian that it may be a bit more challenging for me because of the iron deficiency so I may have to take supplements to replace the lack of iron. I don't know. Overall I'm definitely going to try it in the future.
Nope. Like other users have said, each to their own. And I probably couldn't cope without meat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I don't think that vegetarianism or veganism is any healthier than an omnivorous diet. But I do think people generally eat too much red meat, way way too much red meat. Nothing wrong with eating fish and white meats though.

Meat eaters are 2x more likely to develop heart disease than meat eaters, and on average, vegetarian men and women live 9.5 and 6.1 years longer and vegans can live up to 15 years longer due to the healthy diet. Also processed meat has been classified as a 'definite' cause of cancer, can be as bad as smoking in some cases. Also having lots of fish can result in higher levels of mercury which can be damaging. White meat may not be as bad however a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) study found that more than 99 percent of broiler chicken carcasses sold in stores had detectable levels of E. coli, indicating fecal contamination, basically your eating some poop and possible bacterial infections can be transmitted. So really any type of animal product is not very good for us tbh.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Meat eaters are 2x more likely to develop heart disease than meat eaters, and on average, vegetarian men and women live 9.5 and 6.1 years longer and vegans can live up to 15 years longer due to the healthy diet. Also processed meat has been classified as a 'definite' cause of cancer, can be as bad as smoking in some cases. Also having lots of fish can result in higher levels of mercury which can be damaging. White meat may not be as bad however a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) study found that more than 99 percent of broiler chicken carcasses sold in stores had detectable levels of E. coli, indicating fecal contamination, basically your eating some poop and possible bacterial infections can be transmitted. So really any type of animal product is not very good for us tbh.

Meat eaters in general eat loads of red meat, which is what causes the problems. Processed meat is undeniably bad for you, I never claimed otherwise. Mercury levels in fish is ********, there are very specific examples of seafood where that is a risk, and it's weird stuff like shark and swordfish. If you're eating salmon, trout, tuna and haddock you're absolutely fine.

I could similarly point to the fact that many vegetarians are deficient in B12, heme iron and zinc amongst other nutrients. Saying animal products aren't good for us is horseshit, and it's the reason why people get pissed off with vegetarians and vegans. An omnivorous diet is absolutely healthy, if you aren't eating processed meat or red meat by the bucketload. Just because more vegetarians/vegans eat healthily - as they tend to be more health conscious - doesn't mean you can't eat just as healthily whilst eating meat. You're conflating correlation and causation.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou

At the end of the day numerous studies can be done, you could be a devout vegan but whats to stop you getting a random tumor, getting hit by a car or just dying naturally. I don't think the decision to be vegan or vegetarian should be based on things such as you can live '15' years longer. If the argument is Im a vegan because I believe animals have the same moral status as humans I can get down with that argument.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Meat eaters in general eat loads of red meat, which is what causes the problems. Processed meat is undeniably bad for you, I never claimed otherwise. Mercury levels in fish is ********, there are very specific examples of seafood where that is a risk, and it's weird stuff like shark and swordfish. If you're eating salmon, trout, tuna and haddock you're absolutely fine.

I could similarly point to the fact that many vegetarians are deficient in B12, heme iron and zinc amongst other nutrients. Saying animal products aren't good for us is horseshit, and it's the reason why people get pissed off with vegetarians and vegans. An omnivorous diet is absolutely healthy, if you aren't eating processed meat or red meat by the bucketload. Just because more vegetarians/vegans eat healthily - as they tend to be more health conscious - doesn't mean you can't eat just as healthily whilst eating meat. You're conflating correlation and causation.

I will agree with you in the first paragraph and for the mercury levels in fish except, tuna is actually very high in mercury even research it, and its one of the most popular fish people eat. The rest does include fish like shark, swordfish. However you didn't answer my other points, guessing because you didn't have one.
Vegetarians/vegans can get plenty of zinc from mushrooms, spinach, seeds, nuts and other veg or they could take supplements. Technically you do not need heme iron as long as you keep your iron levels high by eating iron riched foods or taking supplements if you need to. B12 can be a problem I will admit, but it can be easily overcome by again taking supplements and there are vegan foods that do have B12 (personally I don't take any supplements and I have great health). But overall at least our diets cause less/no harm to animals and are helping the planet, and we are more likely to live longer, less likely to get heart diesease etc. (the list could go on).
Cheese and other animal products are even worse for our diets but I have given enough info.
Original post by thecho$enone
At the end of the day numerous studies can be done, you could be a devout vegan but whats to stop you getting a random tumor, getting hit by a car or just dying naturally. I don't think the decision to be vegan or vegetarian should be based on things such as you can live '15' years longer. If the argument is Im a vegan because I believe animals have the same moral status as humans I can get down with that argument.

I agree, I just put it in there to try and show a point, I know that anything can happen and it's never guaranteed you will live longer, it's just an average:smile: I'm only vegan for ethical reasons, I love animals and don't think they deserve the exploitation and abuse they suffer.
We have bigger problems to worry about than how a chicken is killed.
Original post by TheBirder
I think the environmental impact of the production of meat is too high to justify it. Especially beef, the amount of water used, methane produce, land taken up (and often rainforest destroyed) is ridiculous, the production of beef needs to be severely limited or all-but banned all together. Maybe something like a 300% tax on beef would be good, that money could then go on some carbon deal to encourage developing countries to conserve their rainforests by giving them a monetary value more than their value in wood.

(I am vegetarian at the moment by the way, and I have fluctuated between vegetarianism and veganism since I was about 12)

One thing that I would encourage however is the consumption of insects. If only more people would eat mealworms.

Its worth noting that VEGETARIANS need the COW far more than meat eaters.
For parmasan cheese on spaghetti , pizza, apple pie and cream, yogurt, mozzarella, cheese sandwiches, butter. and milk.

Without dairy produce a Vegetarian probably would not really be a vegetarian
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending