The Student Room Group

How to get over fear of flying?

Hey everyone,

This has been an issue that has been putting limitations on my life for a while now, it has stopped me seeing a lot of the world, it is the fear of flying

I have a holiday coming up this August going from the UK to Paris, and I have chosen to fly rather than the euro tunnel as flying is a lot cheaper (I don't drive). However, I have a huge fear of flying and planes in general, I have no idea how this big heap of metal can safely stay afloat in mid air for that long.

I have tried to assure myself I'll be fine by searching statistics of plane crashes, terrorism on planes etc and my odds are pretty good, but I just keep telling myself I'll be that 1/1,000,000, how do I just conquer that fear and stop limiting myself to only go on local holidays?

Thank you
Do NOT watch Final Destination.
Chloroform
Reply 3
Original post by Beepeear
I have no idea how this big heap of metal can safely stay afloat in mid air for that long.

Learn physics.
My cousin was exactly the same. Take sleeping pills 20-30 minutes before boarding the plane (or add 15 minutes to however long the box says to take it before falling asleep) and when you've boarded the plane, by the time you've departed, you'll be asleep. Take something familiar from home (a pillow or blanket or something) to calm you down. Take an eye mask and goggles and plenty of water.

Hope you conquer your fear, pal. The world is too beautiful not to experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Capafons et al suggests systematic desensitisation. :h:
Reply 6
I know exactly how you feel. I've never liked flying and after taking a huge panic attack on a plane a couple of years ago, even looking up at the sky or driving past an airport would give me a full blown panic attack and now flying is one of my biggest fears.

If you are up for medication, your doctor can give you a pill such as dizepam to help calm your nerves. I think you take one the night before your flight and then an hour or two before your flight. I've not taken them for flying but many people I know have and it's helped. A lot of people take them just the night before so they gets a good nights sleep as you can feel like you can take on the world while properly rested.

A lot of people have a stiff drink before flying but I would recommend anything with alcohol or caffeine in it before flying as these can increase you're risk of taking a panic attack or increase your anxiety in general.

Some airlines offer classes on how to overcome your fear of flying but they can be quite pricey and I don't think there's anything like that available on the NHS. There are plenty of official videos on YouTube from the airline classes which I found quite helpful and I recommend you check them out.

Getting used to flying more would also help. If you can afford it, try some local day trip domestic flights and that may help you get into the swing of flying.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest