The Student Room Group

Wednesday 18th May: Body Image

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
:jumphug:

Aww Ethan :hugs:
it's alright, tbh it doesn't deserve to be out of the gutter and as of today i can add a new insult onto my list :ahee:
Original post by iEthan
Hi!

So sorry to hear about this :sad: there's some things you can do for your friend and the NHS has written an article about it which you can find here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/teengirls/Pages/treatmentforeatingdisorders.aspx

I really hope that your friend is OK and that you can help her :hugs: it mustn't be easy. But it will be easier with someone who cares like you at her side :yep:

Thank you, that's very kind! She is currently in treatment for other mental health issues, though unfortunately not her eating disorder. I am torn because I'm the only one who knows that she is losing weight again and I want to help but I don't want her to think I've somehow betrayed her if I tell her parents... Besides, she's 18 so I don't see what they could do. It's all so sad :frown:
Original post by Platopus
Thank you, that's very kind! She is currently in treatment for other mental health issues, though unfortunately not her eating disorder. I am torn because I'm the only one who knows that she is losing weight again and I want to help but I don't want her to think I've somehow betrayed her if I tell her parents... Besides, she's 18 so I don't see what they could do. It's all so sad :frown:

Give them little pushes here and there, you don't have to tell her parents! Let her know that you're there for her and always remember to include her. Have a chat, let her know you're always going to be there to talk to her. :hugs: It's really difficult, but with support and a gentle push she might be able to get some help :yep: you sound like an amazing friend.
Absolutely awful. I am covered in scars from self harming and stretch marks. I gained alot of weight because of a medication i am on so I feel really overweight too. I have bad stomach problems so i am also constantly bloated, and i feel i have to wear baggy clothes or suck in to avoid having a massive 'baby bump'. That doesn't bother me so much.. the scars really do.
Original post by iEthan
Body Image
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

More and more of us are experiencing problems with body image. The NCB said that: "Body image dissatisfaction is seen to undermine self-confidence, contribute to depression, and lead to the onset of a range of physical, emotional and societal problems. Around half of girls and up to one third of boys have dieted to lose weight, children and young people with body image dissatisfaction are less likely to engage in learning and school participation. Over half of bullying experienced by young people was caused by appearance.” Source: Reflections on body image All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image and Central YMCA.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

We've got some great threads already written about body image and the problems presented by it. You can see those here:Are you someone that has body image issues? Do you have any experiences you'd like to share? Get involved in the conversation! Reply below or make a thread about it. Let's get people talking about mental health. :h:

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
Original post by iEthan
Give them little pushes here and there, you don't have to tell her parents! Let her know that you're there for her and always remember to include her. Have a chat, let her know you're always going to be there to talk to her. :hugs: It's really difficult, but with support and a gentle push she might be able to get some help :yep: you sound like an amazing friend.

I worry that I'm not doing enough but yes, that is what I'm currently doing. I hope that if things get really bad she will seek help herself but of course I am always there for her.
Original post by Platopus
I worry that I'm not doing enough but yes, that is what I'm currently doing. I hope that if things get really bad she will seek help herself but of course I am always there for her.

That's all you can do lovely, you're doing exactly what a good friend should do. She's very lucky to have you by her side :yes:
I took a certain medication for psychosis about 7 years ago; it made me put on 50lbs in a month, it was insane levels of weight gain. Needless to say, my body didn't like that and I got horrible stretch marks everywhere. :frown: I managed to lose the weight with many hours in the gym, however, I started a new med about 2 months ago and have gained 25lbs so far. My psychiatrist is refusing to accept that this weight gain is due to the drug, but it's not as if I suddenly started eating doughnuts for every meal so I know he's wrong.

Anyway, now I'm almost 200lbs and only 5'9. I feel so fat and disgusting, I don't know how my spouse can bear to look at me. Not to mention that I had to buy a whole load of new underwear and jeans. Sometimes I look at myself after a shower in the mirror and I just want to cry (and sometimes actually do). I was so happy with my body all my teenage years - I was in great shape (did crosscountry races and helped my dad with heavy handiwork a lot) but now my body is so different and I hate it. I'm really put off having sex or having my spouse see me naked, I'm trying but inside I feel so gross. Psychosis has taken so much from me. :cry2:
Not good. Physically recovered from anorexia but nearly 5 years on I still struggle mentally. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT AN EATING DISORDER ISN'T DEFINED BY AGE, WEIGHT, GENDER, ETHNICITY OR SOCIOECNOMIC BACKGROUND.
If it was Olanzapine/Risperidone I totally understand this. I'm sorry to hear how it's impacted on you. Here if you need to talk to someone who gets it.
Original post by Anonymous
If it was Olanzapine/Risperidone I totally understand this. I'm sorry to hear how it's impacted on you. Here if you need to talk to someone who gets it.

I take it you're asking me? It was indeed olanzapine. Risperidone just made me produce milk - which, I'm sure you can understand, was also ****ing awful. :frown:
Original post by Sabertooth
I take it you're asking me? It was indeed olanzapine. Risperidone just made me produce milk - which, I'm sure you can understand, was also ****ing awful. :frown:

Same here, was f*****g awful indeed! Embarassing too. Made me put on 20kg in under 6 months too which doesn't bode well with an eating disorder...:s-smilie:
Being FtM but too young to do anything about it has shoved my body image through the floor :/ Thankfully, I'm not too affected by it because, the way I see it, my life isn't in a third-person perspective, so I forget exactly what look like :smile:
I've never been happy with the way i look, i mean i can easily say I'm not fat or obese but I'm not skinny either I'm in-between but I'm not particularly happy with that. my aim has always been to look thin, have a flat stomach and obviously a thigh gap, I've been trying so hard to lose weight for at least 2 years unfortunately i don't see any difference and I'm still not happy with my body but i will just keep trying. If I'm perfectly honest I've probably been concentrating so much on what i eat I've ignored the fact that i should be revising for my GCSE exams and yes i know they are very important does anybody else feel this way?
Original post by iEthan
Body Image
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

More and more of us are experiencing problems with body image. The NCB said that: "Body image dissatisfaction is seen to undermine self-confidence, contribute to depression, and lead to the onset of a range of physical, emotional and societal problems. Around half of girls and up to one third of boys have dieted to lose weight, children and young people with body image dissatisfaction are less likely to engage in learning and school participation. Over half of bullying experienced by young people was caused by appearance.” Source: Reflections on body image All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image and Central YMCA.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

We've got some great threads already written about body image and the problems presented by it. You can see those here:Are you someone that has body image issues? Do you have any experiences you'd like to share? Get involved in the conversation! Reply below or make a thread about it. Let's get people talking about mental health. :h:

You can post anonymously here.

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
woah I never realized just how much this issue can affect so many people... :K:
Being FtM but too young to do anything about it has shoved my body image through the floor :/ Thankfully, I'm not too affected by it because, the way I see it, my life isn't in a third-person perspective, so I forget exactly what look like :smile:

That really is an interesting perspective. That must be a very difficult change to deal with in terms of body image. You're very brave for coming here to tell us about it :hugs: your attitude is really admirable :yep:

I've never been happy with the way i look, i mean i can easily say I'm not fat or obese but I'm not skinny either I'm in-between but I'm not particularly happy with that. my aim has always been to look thin, have a flat stomach and obviously a thigh gap, I've been trying so hard to lose weight for at least 2 years unfortunately i don't see any difference and I'm still not happy with my body but i will just keep trying. If I'm perfectly honest I've probably been concentrating so much on what i eat I've ignored the fact that i should be revising for my GCSE exams and yes i know they are very important does anybody else feel this way?

Hey OP,

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with yourself, that's never a nice feeling :no: why do you feel that you should be thinner? For you, what's the appeal behind it? Have you checked out some of the links above? :h:

Ethan :hugs:

woah I never realized just how much this issue can affect so many people... :K:

It's incredible, isn't it? :yep:
Really low tbh. I hate the way I look more than anything; my face and my body. Sometimes I wish I was in someone else's skin, just so I wouldn't be so repulsed by my own body.

Spoiler

Things I hate about my self:
-my nose- it's so long and straight
-my hair- it's soooo thick and urghhh
-my things- they're hugeee like the size of jupiter
-my boobs and butt their huge and no i didn't get any implants
-my height- whyy did I stop growing!!!! My younger sister who is 13 is taller than me ;(((
Things I like about my self:
-my smile
-my teeth
-my eyes
-my lips
These are my insecurities and what I like about my self. I only started hating my features ever since I joined socail media, especially instagram where I would see people looking so perfect in the pictures and selfies and I get to embarassed to post anything of me. One of my friends said I was 'pretty' the other say and it kind of threw me off bc no one has said that to me in years. I know that sounds pathetic but yeah i guess. I don't consider my self to be pretty but average. I
Awful unfortunately, I was bullied for being chubby in year 9 and it contributed to me developing anorexia, I've been struggling with it since and I'm in my second year of A Levels now, I always wonder how differently things may have turned out if people hadn't been so mean to me back then.
Low as hell
my mum and dad used emotionally abuse me too about my weight, dad particularly but I don't care, I keep on smiling and I get on with life 🙃

Quick Reply

Latest