The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Yeaah samee, I'm so annoyed about that question, but I'm sure the grade boundaries will be quite low, cos it was harder than most of the past papers I did and even they had reasonably low grade boundaries.

And don't worry, there are always the million other modules we can ace :biggrin:
Reply 181
Original post by Arsey
no

Which papers will you do?
Reply 182
Original post by TheRealLifeBane
Probably. I made the mistake on part e of it because I forget to add 9.

Due to the poll, being on a site for a lot of bang outs, showing that this exam was hard, do you think that grade boundaries will be lower.

You won't believe how many stupid mistakes I made. If I had time to double check I could have done so much better :'(

Yeaah samee, I'm so annoyed about that question, but I'm sure the grade boundaries will be quite low, cos it was harder than most of the past papers I did and even they had reasonably low grade boundaries.And don't worry, there are always the million other modules we can ace :biggrin:
Reply 183
Original post by adris
@Arsey hey will you be doing statistics 3 edexcel ?

no
Reply 184
Original post by tazza ma razza
arsey, are you going to be providing answers to the following papers:

- s1, s2, s3, s4, c4, fp1 ?

c1-c4 m1-m2 fp1 d1-d2 s1
Reply 185
I'm shocked, I've done better than I thought
Reply 186
I don't have the time to answer how many marks will I lose questions this year.

I find it quite sad for several reasons the The Independent are running with a story, based on a few tweets, that the paper was too hard without a calc.

A level students being expected to do sums without a calc, disgrace...
Reply 187
Original post by GR7
What UMS would 71/75 be? Thanks

Around 92-4
Reply 188
Original post by jackn3wman
Did the exact same thing

Probably just lose one answer mark if you did everything else right
I spent sooo long on Q6 thinking I got it wrong due to the fractions and thinking that x was an integer
Reply 190
Original post by Kaash98
On the last question I put 41/4 instead of 41/8 will I loose marks for the questions underneath or will I get error carried forward

Omg I did the exact same thing!
Thanks, Mr A for your posts and solutions.
As reliable, as insightful and as helpful as ever.

I too am sad about A-Level students complaining about having to manipulate fractions. I reckon there are 10 fraction calculations altogether, which includes rationalising the surd in q2. and twice where y-y1=m(x-x1) involved m as a fraction.

My opinion - slightly more difficult than normal.
(took me just over 17mins to complete this year vs sub-15mins average for this paper) <- this is my measure of difficulty for a paper, but has v. little bearing on the grade boundaries.

Q5, discriminant question, was more interesting than usual, and my only concern about the paper is that Q8 was also based on discriminant.

I like your trapezium+triangle area solution for q10. My method was to take line one down to the x-axis. Intercept at T=(-6/5,0) and area required becomes triangle QRT subtract triangle OPT (O is origin). Still fraction-intensive, but a little simpler perhaps.

Thanks again. Look forward to C2 next week.
What do u think we would need for a c or a d.
Hi, if i did question 9 wrong as putting in the wrong n as i completely forgot that he is already 10 years old, then how many marks would i lose, i only did part b and c wrong. Felt so stupid afterward xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by imran_
for question 2 if i didnt make y= answer
will i lose a mark?

No as long as you have changed 9 into 3^2 and used the required indices laws you should be fine.
Original post by Shmadm
Believe me, if you were sat in that exam hall with a lot of confidence knowing you'd done every past paper systematically, knowing this would just be a routine, your mind would go nuts when you see how many fractions were involved, especially such awkward ones like 41/8

hmmm 41/8 is REALLY awkward. = 5.125. How did you cope with non-terminating decimals like thirds, and sixths?
Not surprised your mind would be going nuts.

Bless
Original post by suef11
perfectly possible you just need to be able to work with fractions which were originally covered in year 7 i think

I believe there are fractions involved in this year's SATS papers for KS2. Surprised that something as tough as fractions are taught at primary school, seeing as though A-level students are shocked at the difficulty in C1 fractions.

I'd be shocked if there was anything approaching the difficulty of 41/8 in the sats, though.
Reply 197
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

I thought it was a reasonable paper, expect standard boundaries.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

I would guess at 62-63 for an A and 55-56 for a B.

Thank you for all your support much appreciated.
Original post by asinghj
Can anyone explain Q7???

First 2 terms differentiate easily.
Final fraction: divide numerator terms separately by the denominator before differentiating.
There are several past paper questions very similar to this.

Easy marks.
Original post by abbie_787
For question 5 how many marks did I lose for not stating the values of Y?

2. Maybe 3 if you didn't bother to try to work them out.

Latest

Trending

Trending