The Student Room Group

I'm bulimic, but I think I'm bipolar

I'm 17. Can I go and see my GP without my parents' knowledge? They're very anti-mental health. What do I even say? I'm so frightened and I don't know what to do. I've coped with bulimia as well as I can (suffering for about two years now, was doing very well and was clean up until 3 months ago until the stress of a crappy sixth form got to me, but I am trying to get back on track)- it was B/P but has morphed into compulsive exercising/restriction. My parents have no idea- they'd just tell me to stop being stupid, and that some people have real problems. It's so isolating.
I think I'm bipolar. It's affecting me more than my bulimia ever did, but it's only recently that I've noticed my behaviour (as stupid as it sounds) as in between mood swings I have a few months of normality. I've been manic since Monday, living off of three hours of sleep, dancing to music for hours rather than concentrating on my revision, and instead than going for my normal 40 minute cross country run (400cals) I've been an idiot and burnt thousands of calories running/sprinting for hours. I've lost 4lb this week (I'm at a healthy weight and even though I have an urge to lose more, I do realise this is really rapid and not good). I thought I had everything under control. I've never had mania like it. Today it was like a switch had been flipped and it was as much as I could do to get out of bed. I feel like I've failed an exam I sat this morning and my inner critic is being absolutely horrendous. I feel awful, I feel fat and worthless, and I desperately want to cry it out but I cant.
I need to see my GP. If there's a risk he will tell my parents I can't go. I'm 18 in march but I can't imagine having these horrific moods until then. I don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 17. Can I go and see my GP without my parents' knowledge? They're very anti-mental health. What do I even say? I'm so frightened and I don't know what to do. I've coped with bulimia as well as I can (suffering for about two years now, was doing very well and was clean up until 3 months ago until the stress of a crappy sixth form got to me, but I am trying to get back on track)- it was B/P but has morphed into compulsive exercising/restriction. My parents have no idea- they'd just tell me to stop being stupid, and that some people have real problems. It's so isolating.
I think I'm bipolar. It's affecting me more than my bulimia ever did, but it's only recently that I've noticed my behaviour (as stupid as it sounds) as in between mood swings I have a few months of normality. I've been manic since Monday, living off of three hours of sleep, dancing to music for hours rather than concentrating on my revision, and instead than going for my normal 40 minute cross country run (400cals) I've been an idiot and burnt thousands of calories running/sprinting for hours. I've lost 4lb this week (I'm at a healthy weight and even though I have an urge to lose more, I do realise this is really rapid and not good). I thought I had everything under control. I've never had mania like it. Today it was like a switch had been flipped and it was as much as I could do to get out of bed. I feel like I've failed an exam I sat this morning and my inner critic is being absolutely horrendous. I feel awful, I feel fat and worthless, and I desperately want to cry it out but I cant.
I need to see my GP. If there's a risk he will tell my parents I can't go. I'm 18 in march but I can't imagine having these horrific moods until then. I don't know what to do :frown:

You can see your doctor without your parents knowledge. They would only inform them if you were suicidal or a danger to yourself or something similar. Go and see your doctor!! When are you turning 18?
Reply 2
Yes, if you are over 16 then you can go and see a GP on your own. In the meanwhile, talking to someone can really help, perhaps a close friend or relative other than your parents. With your bulimia, accept that your body shape is determined in part by genetics, and you may never have a totally flat stomach. Even if you are very thin, your internal organs will give a certain roundedness there, especially after you eat and if people in your family tend to store fat in the midsection.Remember, you are beautiful the way you are and you are not alone, you will get through this!!
Hey OP

I can relate so much to you. I've suffered from bulimia (I'm bulimia free now) and currently dealing with bi polar disorder (4 years now).
Where I live mental illness is also considered a stigma (after my initial diagnosis, I haven't had the opportunity to do anything about it for this and one other reason) so I understand how you feel about wanting to do something about your health but feeling a bit hopeless.

I don't live in the UK so I don't know the specifics but I do know that doctors have confidentiality agreements with patients (unless it's life threatening) so yes you can go your GP about it :smile: The earlier you are diagnosed and given treatment the easier you'll be able to cope with the illness.

If you want to talk to me more about bipolar and eating disorders my PMs are always open :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I was in exactly the same position.I was so scared to go to the GP a few months ago but i'm so glad I did.They did not tell my parents as they have to be confidential.Im struggling quite a lot and I cant focus on revision :/ but if I can give you any advice it is to go and seek help.You cant regret it once you have gone.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest