The Student Room Group

Can pedophilia be diagnosed?

Just curious about opinions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ElaArslan

I suppose so. There are psychological reasons that people are attracted to children. For all intents and purposes it is a mental illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is considered a psychiatric disorder.
Reply 3
Original post by hezzlington

Not by society. If you try to explain that it is, you seem to be called a sympathiser

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be nice
I don't know how this can be worked. To diagnose pedophilia like an ordinary illness, it has to be defined as an illness as such. But before it can be defined as an illness, it has to be clared what causes this illness, so what the symptoms are.

I rather regard this as a matter of mentality. And when it is a matter of mentality, it is a matter for a psychologist. From this point of view, pedophilia can be diagnosed as a mental problem.
I thought that it was a sexual preference, so I'd say I didn't think that it could be treated.

Think the same. The question is what causes this disorder. A lack of piety, a lack of distance to children? if yes, can it still be regarded as disorder?
Isn't pedophilia a sexual orientation?
Reply 9
it's not pedosexuality...
do you ever hear the term homophilia? :s-smilie:
http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/GRNBOOK.pdf
- tis classified as a psychiatric disorder by the World Health Organisation
Original post by Kallisto
I don't know how this can be worked. To diagnose pedophilia like an ordinary illness, it has to be defined as an illness as such. But before it can be defined as an illness, it has to be clared what causes this illness, so what the symptoms are.

I rather regard this as a matter of mentality. And when it is a matter of mentality, it is a matter for a psychologist. From this point of view, pedophilia can be diagnosed as a mental problem.

There are quite a few medical conditions where the causes of an illness remain unknown, so I don't think that's an integral part of what defines an illness.
I'm pretty sure it has been recognised as a mental health disorder and listed in the most recent DSM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Well, if you think about transsexuality. That is a gender orientation and a mental illness, same can be considered here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
it's not pedosexuality...
do you ever hear the term homophilia? :s-smilie:
http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/GRNBOOK.pdf
- tis classified as a psychiatric disorder by the World Health Organisation

Word semantics are irrelevant really, they used to classify homosexuality as a mental illness
Reply 14
I was watching a documentary about a 'hospital' for old men who were in jail for pedophilia/molesting etc. It was compulsory for them to be 'warehoused' but they couldn't be forced to be treated. However only 13 out of hundreds of patients have managed to leave through the therapy programme they have there. Does that show that it's not actually a mental illness?
Reply 15
Original post by AxSirlotl
I thought that it was a sexual preference, so I'd say I didn't think that it could be treated.

Exactly what I thought btw, at the end of the day it is society who tells us that pedophilia is actually wrong.. Maybe in another dimention its normal lol - not saying that I agree with it btw js
Exactly what I thought btw, at the end of the day it is society who tells us that pedophilia is actually wrong.. Maybe in another dimention its normal lol - not saying that I agree with it btw js

If paedophilia isn't a choice then I'm not going to ridicule them for something that they can't help as long as they do nothing to harm a child.
Reply 17
Original post by AxSirlotl
If paedophilia isn't a choice then I'm not going to ridicule them for something that they can't help as long as they do nothing to harm a child.

Acting upon the need for 'affection' (as one of the men stated as if he didn't groom the little kids) is what gets them into trouble in the first place. Do you think its fair for people to repress their 'sexual preferences', if you will, in order for society not to attack them?
There are quite a few medical conditions where the causes of an illness remain unknown, so I don't think that's an integral part of what defines an illness.

Fair enough. What are those medical conditions, if I may ask?

Original post by Sacred Ground
I'm pretty sure it has been recognised as a mental health disorder and listed in the most recent DSM

It is listed in DSM, that is right. But I don't know how often that is.
Original post by Kallisto
Fair enough. What are those medical conditions, if I may ask?

It is listed in DSM, that is right. But I don't know how often that is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ailments_of_unknown_etiology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending