The Student Room Group

Geography AS level edexcel unit 2 predictions 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harryleavey
What? No, it is irrelevant if the rebranding has actually taken place or not. You are not meant to be talking about the actual rebrand anyway.

You probably wouldn't have studied an area if it hadn't had a need, strategies and an outcome.

Taking into account everything, I talked about Birmingham being a deprived area with high crime, high drug use in the city centre, low amounts of people in the city centre, little amounts of shops (most of which are closing down) etc. I then talked about the history of Birmingham, where it used to be a city of car production, that has fallen recently due to the amount of British cars being produced and sold has decreased. Then I talked about the Bullring, a shopping centre of Birmingham having little visitors and competion with another centre called Merry Hill. I then talked about more things on why the Bullring was very unpopular and needed rebranding.
Then (this is where I think I have made my mistake) I talked about how the Bullring was rebranded and what it did to Birmingham. I talked about the increase in shopping and visitors of tourism. This was an area that was in need of rebranding.
Having assessed all that I've written, I feel i've got no more than 7/10. What would you say?
Original post by Epitype
Taking into account everything, I talked about Birmingham being a deprived area with high crime, high drug use in the city centre, low amounts of people in the city centre, little amounts of shops (most of which are closing down) etc. I then talked about the history of Birmingham, where it used to be a city of car production, that has fallen recently due to the amount of British cars being produced and sold has decreased. Then I talked about the Bullring, a shopping centre of Birmingham having little visitors and competion with another centre called Merry Hill. I then talked about more things on why the Bullring was very unpopular and needed rebranding.
Then (this is where I think I have made my mistake) I talked about how the Bullring was rebranded and what it did to Birmingham. I talked about the increase in shopping and visitors of tourism. This was an area that was in need of rebranding.
Having assessed all that I've written, I feel i've got no more than 7/10. What would you say?

I would agree.
If you had mentioned the strategy in one sentence, maybe as a conclusion - that would have been credited better.

I would have recommended a structure of:
Social Need:
"Birmingham being a deprived area with high crime, high drug use in the city centre, low amounts of people in the city centre"
Economic Need:
"little amounts of shops (most of which are closing down) etc."
"Then I talked about the Bullring, a shopping centre of Birmingham having little visitors and competion with another centre called Merry Hill. I then talked about more things on why the Bullring was very unpopular and needed rebranding."
Maybe Key terms: e.g explain how this caused a Spiral of Decline...
Environmental Need:

although I didn't study Birmingham, so I cannot suggest if there was an 'environmental need' for example.
I would agree.
If you had mentioned the strategy in one sentence, maybe as a conclusion - that would have been credited better.

I would have recommended a structure of:
Social Need:
"Birmingham being a deprived area with high crime, high drug use in the city centre, low amounts of people in the city centre"
Economic Need:
"little amounts of shops (most of which are closing down) etc."
"Then I talked about the Bullring, a shopping centre of Birmingham having little visitors and competion with another centre called Merry Hill. I then talked about more things on why the Bullring was very unpopular and needed rebranding."
Maybe Key terms: e.g explain how this caused a Spiral of Decline...
Environmental Need:

although I didn't study Birmingham, so I cannot suggest if there was an 'environmental need' for example.

Unfortuantely, I did mainly talk about Social and Economic needs. It's okay as I felt that the rest of the paper was really good.
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Original post by Epitype
Unfortuantely, I did mainly talk about Social and Economic needs. It's okay as I felt that the rest of the paper was really good.
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I did Liverpool and focused on the social and economic only. There was little need to rebrand with regard to the environment (besides the drosscape from deindustrialisation)

Take a look at this mark scheme for a very similar question.
It says: 'there is sometimes little divide between the three [social environmental and economic] factors'
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 18.30.04.png
No it wasn't. It was assess the need to rebrand. Not the schemes. You may not get any marks if you discussed the schemes/strategies

oh yeah it was! got it confused with the 15 marker
Yeah, I did Liverpool and focused on the social and economic only. There was little need to rebrand with regard to the environment (besides the drosscape from deindustrialisation)

Take a look at this mark scheme for a very similar question.
It says: 'there is sometimes little divide between the three [social environmental and economic] factors'
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 18.30.04.png

Just having a read of that has made me much happier with what I wrote in the exam. Thank you for the help, again, I really appreciate it.
Also, good luck with your other exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending