The Student Room Group

Integration

What's the difference between numerical and symbolic integration?
Reply 1
numerical probably means a numerical method of estimation such as simpson or trapezium rule. Symbolic means you are using the vraious integration rules to do it exactly.
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
numerical probably means a numerical method of estimation such as simpson or trapezium rule. Symbolic means you are using the vraious integration rules to do it exactly.

So is integrating between two numbers numerical or symbolic?
Reply 3
Original post by Farmerjj

I would say symbolic. It is exact.
Reply 4
Original post by Farmerjj

It would depend on how you integrate between two numbers. If you approximate the definite integral, then it's numerical. In context of you asking about calculators, if your calculator can only integrate between numbers then it's fine to use in the exam, i.e: it should be able to integrate between numbers but not integrate without numbers.
Original post by Zacken
It would depend on how you integrate between two numbers. If you approximate the definite integral, then it's numerical. In context of you asking about calculators, if your calculator can only integrate between numbers then it's fine to use in the exam, i.e: it should be able to integrate between numbers but not integrate without numbers.

I remember quite a while back when I was grinding Maths C4 integration
questions I got stuck and remember you saying to "add zero creatively"
what do you mean by that? I can't remember. :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I remember quite a while back when I was grinding Maths C4 integration
questions I got stuck and remember you saying to "add zero creatively"
what do you mean by that? I can't remember. :dontknow:

Forget about it if you don't remember it. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest