The Student Room Group

Square roots of complex number

Question: Find the square roots of 8root3i-8

z= 16cos(pi/3+isinpi/3)
z^1/2 = 4cos(pi/6+ isinpi/6)
z^1/2 = +- 4( root3/2 + 1/2i)
z^1/2 = +-2root+2i?
Is that right.

Btw is this using de moivre's theorem because it isn't mentioned till a later chapter in the book.

cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Super199
Question: Find the square roots of 8root3i-8

z= 16cos(pi/3+isinpi/3)
z^1/2 = 4cos(pi/6+ isinpi/6)
z^1/2 = +- 4( root3/2 + 1/2i)
z^1/2 = +-2root+2i?
Is that right.

Btw is this using de moivre's theorem because it isn't mentioned till a later chapter in the book.

cheers

Bro you're meant to use Charles Darwin's theory about evolution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It is De Movire's theorem. Sometimes you may find it quicker and more convenient to express complex numbers in exponential form, eiθ e^{i\theta} . But yeah everything you've done is fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Monsor
Bro you're meant to use Charles Darwin's theory about evolution

Posted from TSR Mobile

snm
Reply 4
I don't think that's quite right (at a glance can't check for sure) and it is using DeMoivre's. You might want to haveanother go using (a+ib)^2 = -8 + 8rt(3)i and gettig two simultaneous equations by comparing real and imaginary.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
I don't think that's quite right (at a glance can't check for sure) and it is using DeMoivre's. You might want to haveanother go using (a+ib)^2 = -8 + 8rt(3)i and gettig two simultaneous equations by comparing real and imaginary.

Yh I would have lol but I don't think you can in FP3
Reply 6
Yh I would have lol but I don't think you can in FP3

You certainly can.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
You certainly can.

But obvs for higher powers its better to use de moivre's theorem?
Reply 8
Sorry, I didn't actually check your answer for some reason but as Zacken thinks there is a mistake, you can bet there must be.
Reply 9
But obvs for higher powers its better to use de moivre's theorem?

Any power higher than 2 is almost impossible using the simultaneous method and DeMoivre is a necessity, yes. Anywho, I'm not sure your answer is corrct. So check it using the other method I suggested.
Reply 10
Original post by B_9710
Sorry, I didn't actually check your answer for some reason but as Zacken thinks there is a mistake, you can bet there must be.

Don't take my word for it! I'm in bed and half asleep. :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest