The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths Higher A/A* Predictions

Ok, we've had half this years maths questions.
What should we be revising for our calculator paper on Wednesday?

I will be updating this post with reasonable predictions.
Personally, I believe there will be:
- Trigonometry Area Formulae Question
- Quadratic Simultaneous Equation
- Frequency Polygons
- Completing The Square
- Histograms
(edited 7 years ago)
Those pesky proofs always get me, you know where its on about proving why N^2 cant be an even number as long as N is an odd number. I get why I just never understand how to describe them properly. (In the mock i wrote like a whole page about it and only got like 1 mark :frown:)
Are these predictions for the Edexcel Calc Paper on June 9th?
Original post by anonymouse0
Ok, we've had half this years maths questions.
What should we be revising for our calculator paper on Wednesday?

I will be updating this post with reasonable predictions.
Personally, I believe there will be:
- Trigonometry Area Formulae Question
- Quadratic Simultaneous Equation
- What else? Aiming for top 80's!

I'm almost certain that simultaneous equations, cumulative frequency, histograms, interior angles, compound interest, density, speed, frequency polygons, quadratic formula, completing the square, sine and Cosine rule will come up as they weren't in the non calculator and these topics are always on at least 1 paper every year. Revise these topics thoroughly and you'll be fine :smile:
The quadratic formula probably won't appear as it appeared in the non-calc as a factorising question.

Sine and Cosine Rule, Area of a triangle and Proof are the ones that I think will appear.
Histograms too, probably.
Original post by Fractite
The quadratic formula probably won't appear as it appeared in the non-calc as a factorising question.

Sine and Cosine Rule, Area of a triangle and Proof are the ones that I think will appear.

I remember last time you predicted something on a test, and it actually came up!!
Original post by hafsa473
I remember last time you predicted something on a test, and it actually came up!!

Yeah - I don't know why I'm so good at that, honestly. :smile:
Original post by Bernie2016
Those pesky proofs always get me, you know where its on about proving why N^2 cant be an even number as long as N is an odd number. I get why I just never understand how to describe them properly. (In the mock i wrote like a whole page about it and only got like 1 mark :frown:)

you just need to remember that an even number can be represented by 2n and an odd number can be represented by 2n+1. Consecutive odd numbers will be 2n+1, 2n+3, 2n+5 and consecutive even numbers will be 2n, 2n+2, 2n+4. You can also go negative with 2n - 1.

Just normal consecutive numbers is n, n+1, n+2, n+3 etc.

With these in mind you should be able to answer any proof question like why is the sum of two consecutive odd numbers always even.

2n + 1 + 2n +3 = 4n + 4 = 2n + 2 it will be a multiple of 2
Reply 8
If i got around 41 for the first paper what will i need in the next paper to get a B overall?
Reply 9
Original post by Fractite

When did the quadratic formula come up? I thought you were supposed to just factorise it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aamna-
When did the quadratic formula come up? I thought you were supposed to just factorise it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's unlikely that they'll ask a question to just use the quadratic formula after they asked a question to solve a quadratic through factorisation (it's very rare that they ask you to do more than one method of solving across the 2 papers.)
Updated with everyone's predictions. Keep them coming!

Quick Reply

Latest