The Student Room Group

I have no respect left for my dad AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steelmeat
Nope i dont, just like alcohol which i'll never drink

why's that, if you don't mind answering.
Reply 21
Original post by habibtii
why's that, if you don't mind answering.

personally from experience it tasted horrendous and i'll never go near that stuff again
I didn't know birdman had a child.
I think as we reach our late teens and early twenties we see our parents differently. It's like any rose tinted spectacles we may have had are lifted and as adults ourselves, we are able to see the flaws in our parents,often for the first time. Personally I think this is quite normal. My mum was a heartless bitch ,but I never really saw it until I hit my mid twenties. I sort of hated her for a few years. OK, not really literally hated her. But resented her in so many different ways and had nothing positive to say or think about her. Then by the time I was heading towards 40 [i'm now 48 ,old fart !!] I can look back [she's been dead for 17 years] and although I still don't like or agree with many things and many of her attitudes and beliefs, I realise she was probably just doing the best she could with her life as she knew it at that moment in time.
Reply 24
Original post by markova21
I think as we reach our late teens and early twenties we see our parents differently. It's like any rose tinted spectacles we may have had are lifted and as adults ourselves, we are able to see the flaws in our parents,often for the first time. Personally I think this is quite normal. My mum was a heartless bitch ,but I never really saw it until I hit my mid twenties. I sort of hated her for a few years. OK, not really literally hated her. But resented her in so many different ways and had nothing positive to say or think about her. Then by the time I was heading towards 40 [i'm now 48 ,old fart !!] I can look back [she's been dead for 17 years] and although I still don't like or agree with many things and many of her attitudes and beliefs, I realise she was probably just doing the best she could with her life as she knew it at that moment in time.

Ok, well in my case i disagree, strongly. I see flaws in my dad, nothing positive, i hate him, i still will hate him, i can also never forgive him, and that's that, it will never change.

If my dad died i couldn't give a **** honestly. I knew that unlike your mum my dad never did his best. He had many opportunities to do the right thing, yet he always did the wrong thing. He's just a deluded fool trying to make his children fit his way of idiotic life. You can't persuade me to see him in a different light.
It's like saying someone has slowly murdered off your family one by and and each time he gets off with it. You happen to meet the murderer who wants to apologise for doing all the bad things to your family, do you stay and listen or do you run? Personally i'd run, i wouldn't trust the guy who did all those bad things to not kill me when he's right in front of me
Ok, well in my case i disagree, strongly. I see flaws in my dad, nothing positive, i hate him, i still will hate him, i can also never forgive him, and that's that, it will never change.

If my dad died i couldn't give a **** honestly. I knew that unlike your mum my dad never did his best. He had many opportunities to do the right thing, yet he always did the wrong thing. He's just a deluded fool trying to make his children fit his way of idiotic life. You can't persuade me to see him in a different light.
It's like saying someone has slowly murdered off your family one by and and each time he gets off with it. You happen to meet the murderer who wants to apologise for doing all the bad things to your family, do you stay and listen or do you run? Personally i'd run, i wouldn't trust the guy who did all those bad things to not kill me when he's right in front of me

OK, I understand what you are saying. At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right. Follow your gut and your instincts. If your instincts tell you to stay the hell away from him and never forgive him then that is precisely what you have to do. Just make sure you are happy and comfortable with your hatred of him. Don't let it eat you up inside.

You need to grow up.
Reply 27
OK, I understand what you are saying. At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right. Follow your gut and your instincts. If your instincts tell you to stay the hell away from him and never forgive him then that is precisely what you have to do. Just make sure you are happy and comfortable with your hatred of him. Don't let it eat you up inside.

Really i'd like to just got to uni as quick as possible and life my life away from him, i might occasionally come back to give my brother stuff like presents or whatever. I wouldn't have any guilt even if i killed him..... but in any case i wanna get away from this house im in as uick as possible
Original post by jake4198
You need to grow up.

Ok and what difference would that make?
The best of luck to you anyway.
Really i'd like to just got to uni as quick as possible and life my life away from him, i might occasionally come back to give my brother stuff like presents or whatever. I wouldn't have any guilt even if i killed him..... but in any case i wanna get away from this house im in as uick as possible

Ok and what difference would that make?

Comparing your dad to a murderer because you find him, well, irritating is just disgraceful. I understand that parents can be embarrassing losers from time to time, but not wanting to see your dad ever again and saying you wouldn't care if he died is truly repugnant.
why have respect for your parents?

Wut
Reply 31
The best of luck to you anyway.

ok thanks :smile:
Original post by jake4198
Comparing your dad to a murderer because you find him, well, irritating is just disgraceful. I understand that parents can be embarrassing losers from time to time, but not wanting to see your dad ever again and saying you wouldn't care if he died is truly repugnant.

Change that to all the time
I couldn't care, there's nothing he has done which has been nice to my mum in these past few about 10 years. So no i couldn't care.
Original post by lolatmaths
Wut

o.o wat?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I am on the verge of losing my respect to both my parents:redface: but i love them and know they want the best for me but i dont want to be treated like a child anymore (i am ******* 19 years old)

As an African, we'll never escape this. Expect your mum calling you at 30 asking if you were home by 7. :rofl:
Do not say that. Parents love and have provided you with everything you need- never say that you do not respect the man who i) caused you to be born ii) provided you with food, shelter and care.
Reply 34
Original post by Trapz99
Do not say that. Parents love and have provided you with everything you need- never say that you do not respect the man who i) caused you to be born ii) provided you with food, shelter and care.

Why?
My mum does meh for dad
Why? Maybe i'd rather not be born, maybe he did but that's declining quick and soon we may be living on the streets.
In any case all the good he's done has been Heavily outweighed by all the crap he's given my mum and the family
Original post by Imperion
As an African, we'll never escape this. Expect your mum calling you at 30 asking if you were home by 7. :rofl:

Bruh :toofunny:

Quick Reply

Latest