The Student Room Group

Dentistry, medicine or engineering?

Hi I’m a girl in year 11 and since last week I’ve always wanted to do engineering as a course in university, specifically civil or mechanical engineering. I’ve always thought this is what I really wanted to do, until last week my parents said they were not happy about me wanting to be an engineer.

I really respect my parents wants for me and think they have every right to want me to become something I might not agree with, for context my parents are immigrants and my dad is a minicab driver and my mum has no occupation, also my older sister is now studying medicine at university.

Since my parents have worked so hard to get me to where I am I want them to be happy with my career path especially now that my sister has set the bar quite high by currently studying medicine to become a doctor.

I have now started to consider dentistry as I feel it is more closely linked to engineering qualities such as artistic and technical and very hands on also dentistry does interest me, however I’m not gravitating as much towards medicine as I feel it’s harder to get into than dentistry, more years to study, and just overall harder.

I would love for anyone to answer back with what career path I should take between civil engineering, dentistry and medicine.

Since I’m in year 11 it’s becoming time for me to apply to sixth forms and I really need to decide fast which A levels I need/want to do, fyi, I really like maths so I look forward to picking that as an a level!

Thank you for reading I would love to hear what you guys have to say!
Reply 1
Original post by Engistry
Hi I’m a girl in year 11 and since last week I’ve always wanted to do engineering as a course in university, specifically civil or mechanical engineering. I’ve always thought this is what I really wanted to do, until last week my parents said they were not happy about me wanting to be an engineer.

I really respect my parents wants for me and think they have every right to want me to become something I might not agree with, for context my parents are immigrants and my dad is a minicab driver and my mum has no occupation, also my older sister is now studying medicine at university.

Since my parents have worked so hard to get me to where I am I want them to be happy with my career path especially now that my sister has set the bar quite high by currently studying medicine to become a doctor.

I have now started to consider dentistry as I feel it is more closely linked to engineering qualities such as artistic and technical and very hands on also dentistry does interest me, however I’m not gravitating as much towards medicine as I feel it’s harder to get into than dentistry, more years to study, and just overall harder.

I would love for anyone to answer back with what career path I should take between civil engineering, dentistry and medicine.

Since I’m in year 11 it’s becoming time for me to apply to sixth forms and I really need to decide fast which A levels I need/want to do, fyi, I really like maths so I look forward to picking that as an a level!

Hi! In year 11 I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go into Medicine or STEM and so I chose Maths Further Maths Chemistry and Biology as they seemed to tick most boxes. I wouldn’t go into medicine or dentistry just for your parents though, as respectable and high paying as they are it’s not worth it if you don’t want to do it. Also engineers are highly respectable jobs! I have a bunch of friends who want to be engineers. You’ll still be able to go to university and tbh a lot of engineers can earn more money than doctors. For reference I’m hoping to get into Medicine now but I still like engineering and maths and both would be great careers, but if Medicine isn’t something that’s calling you it won’t be worth it. It sounds like it’s your parents opinion you care about here, try and convince them that this is still a respectable career path because any sort of STEM career is difficult, pays well and requires a lot of hard work and skill.

Also if you go down the medical route know that dentistry is way more competitive since there are less dental schools.

Hope this helps, ultimately up to you but if you don’t know choose a good a level combo like I did, I’d say Maths Bio Chem and if you can take a fourth FM/Physics. Talk it out with your parents though why they’re so against it
Reply 2
Original post by Engistry

I think that it's actually harder to get into dentistry than medicine, due to the very low number of places available. Btw, dentistry is also a 5 year course just like medicine. I think you'd also need to do some research on all of these career paths, and do some work experience in order to have a good idea of what each course entails. For dentistry and medicine, you'd ideally have to take biology and chemistry A Levels, and with engineering, usually maths and physics.
I love your enthusiasm but you need to work out where your priorities lie.

Firstly, what your parents think you should do with your life is no way to live your life. You will have to trust me on this- I know someone who was pushed through childhood by their parents to be high achiever and then basically coerced to go to vet school. They completed it ok but didn't find the course all that enjoyable. But the real grief began in the workplace- they positively hated every second of clinical practice and left not long after graduating. I cannot begin to explain the amount of mental anguish that resulted throughout of all this.

Second: engineering, medicine, dentistry- all hugely competitive, difficult and lengthy courses. It is no accident that they are long degrees and have pretty stiff entry exams and very high entry requirements. I wouldn't say any of these options is easier than the other. Maybe engineering will be shorter in duration but I wouldn't count on it- a lot of employers will expect a masters degree on top before they will even consider employing you.

Thirdly, I can completely understand your parents hoping you will pursue a worthwhile career that they percieve will allow you to earn a lot of money. However, in respect of medicine, unfortunately, this is no longer true unless you reach consultant level and/or become involved in private practice. Even if you opt to be a GP, with the shortest possible training route (10 years from beginning to 'end' give or take), the salary isn't that amazing in reality unless you are a partner (which means more work on top of your clinical practice). Dentistry has a similarly long training programme and again, if you want the big salary, top of the chain jobs, you're likely going to have to complete a masters on top and of course you need to have the manual dexterity and eyesight to be able to physically do the work- not everyone has this. Engineering perhaps offers more scope in the world of business and you can earn a reasonable salary but I'd like someone to correct me if I am wrong but I doubt any employer will be paying you 100K a year at the age of 23 barely months after you have graduated.

Of your list, I'd hazard a guess that you won't see many chartered engineers working nights, bank holidays or much outside of 9-5 Monday to Friday. Doctors certainly will be because which clinicians do you think take up the bulk of patient care on nights and weekends?

Dentists likely have a better work:life balance but again their training doesn't finish in year 5 of their program either.

My advice: if you're going to study something, then study something you are really really interested in and passionate about because it will be many years of grind to get there. Hard work is one thing, but hard work you do not enjoy is an entirely different proposition.

PS don't compare yourself to your sister, either. Live your life your own way.

Quick Reply

Latest