The Student Room Group

The Irish Moonshot (Mechanics M3)

In theory it is possible, but very impractical, to release a stack of about 26 perfectly elastic spherical balls from just one metre above the ground in such a way that the uppermost ball rebounds and escapes the Earth (known as the Irish Moonshot). I thought those of you currently studying M3 might find this famous problem (which is generalised to n balls) quite interesting. I'll post my solution later.

@TeeEm I thought you might find this interesting
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Very nice problem. My solution was a bit awkward, but it worked (I believe) - essentially considering the general collision, establishing a recurrence and then inducting to victory. No doubt your method is much nicer.
Original post by Krollo
Very nice problem. My solution was a bit awkward, but it worked (I believe) - essentially considering the general collision, establishing a recurrence and then inducting to victory. No doubt your method is much nicer.

That's a nice approach. I did something similar in a rough method. I'm going to type up a neater one but don't know when I'll get round to posting it (later today or tomorrow) because I've been tied up with A-level chemistry :frown: It'll give a few more people a chance to have a go at a solution I suppose.
Reply 3
Nice question. Generalising it to n balls made it prettier than the case with a given number of balls. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest